PDA

View Full Version : Chickens run on energizer now? :moomba:

HOOTERS
05-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Which do/would you buy, battery or free range eggs? (the battery ones are cheaper)

I've never bought eggs before because we have chickens at home and yesterday I bought eggs and I got the battery ones and now I feel dirty. I don't know why I got them because I wanted to get the free range ones and they were only a dollar more but I was in a hurry and for some reason I still ended up getting the batteries. From now on it's just free range though.

Ok answer the question now. :smash:

escobert
05-25-2004, 01:50 AM
I don't have eggs. like you I have chickens. Ans i buy whatever batterys are cheap

HOOTERS
05-25-2004, 01:52 AM
There was supposed to be a poll but it stuffed up. :smash:

escobert
05-25-2004, 01:54 AM
You pooper.

Leeza
05-25-2004, 01:54 AM
I buy only free range eggs.

Shoeberto
05-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Cha cha cha!

Yamaneko
05-25-2004, 02:34 AM
Eggs are disgusting. I would get batteries, preferably rechargeable ones.

crono_logical
05-25-2004, 03:14 AM
I don't buy eggs, don't have anything to cook them in for a start :p

Erdrick Holmes
05-25-2004, 03:17 AM
What the crap are battery eggs?

Calliope
05-25-2004, 03:43 AM
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v29/phaedrusnz/battery/battery_farm_1515.jpg

Battery farmed chicken. Finger lickin good!

Battery hens are caged up in what are essentially factories for the sole purpose of producing eggs. As far as I know, they are fed hormones so that they will keep laying eggs, and never get to see sunlight. Once the chickens are too old/sick to be of any more use, they are culled, ground up, and fed to the remaining hens.

It is also common for pigs to be battery farmed.

While I haven't been inside a battery farm, the chicken truck used to pass by my old house frequently, and I can tell you that the chickens are pretty much shoved into a quick chick brick stack.

Kirobaito
05-25-2004, 04:49 AM
I get the eggs from my own chickens, thank you very much.

EDIT: Meaning free-range.

fire_of_avalon
05-25-2004, 04:50 AM
How can you tell the difference? My eggs don't say anything about where they were farmed.

Leeza
05-25-2004, 06:05 AM
If it doesn't say <i>Free Range</i> on the egg carton, then they're not.

Yamaneko
05-25-2004, 06:30 AM
I think my mom gets free range eggs from Trader Joes. Yay!

Rainecloud
05-25-2004, 07:20 AM
I've never eaten anything other than free range eggs.

And just for the record, I like them scrambled.

Mikztsu
05-25-2004, 10:53 AM
What the heck are battery and free-range eggs? *_*

There's "Happy chicken's happy eggs" in Finland and I buy those. Can't think of any reason why eggs would be happy. :)

Misfit
05-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Uh ... *checks* battery. o.o

Wow! I learned something today, I eat battery eggs! ^_^

Peegee
05-25-2004, 11:11 AM
I eat battery eggs. I might start eating free-range, but there's no guarantee. I will however probably start noticing the difference though :p

On an odd tangent, how the heck do 12-20 chickens manage to lay eggs when cramped like that? All the crap I read in that McDonald's chicken farm book is coming back to me.

Silmaril
05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
I've never bought eggs. How can u tell the difference?

Levian
05-25-2004, 04:36 PM
We only have free range eggs where I live. So I don't really have a choice :p

Leeza
05-25-2004, 04:38 PM
<i>I've never bought eggs. How can u tell the difference?</i> - Silmaril

If it's Free Range, it should state so on the carton. When you crack open the thin shell of a battery egg you get a very light yolk and the white stuff is usually runny. A Free Range egg has a much thicker shell because they are fed better, the yolk is a definite yellow/orange colour and the while stuff is thick. You can also taste the difference. Happy chickens make better eggs.

Mikztsu
05-25-2004, 06:46 PM
B!B!B!

Now I get the difference between the two. I guess that battery system is illegal here in Finland, or something. We have only happy chickens and happy eggs.

Psychotic
05-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Free range.

Unless I'm going to throw them at people's houses. But I think I've grown out of that phase now :(

Advent-Sepheroth
05-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I go to Bi-Lo and get "Fresh White Large Grade A Free Range Eggs"

Eggs are the shizzle!

Chaos
05-25-2004, 11:40 PM
I always get free range. Battery is cruel therefore we dont get it on principle, plus free range tastes nicer too.

We used to get our eggs from our neighbour, but foxes ate all his chickens...so we don't anymore.

Chaos

Peegee
05-25-2004, 11:56 PM
I like foxes....*conflicted*

I might pick up some free-range chicken eggs the next time. Right now I have 10 eggs to eat, which is...about 5 days of eating if I eat daily.

Hi, my name is John....Joe

SomethingBig
05-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Is there really a difference in taste or anything?

Anyway, I eat free range. I like 'em no matter what, as long as they're cooked.

Leeza
05-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Yes, there is quite a difference in taste.

SomethingBig
05-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Major difference as in you take a spoonful of one, then another, and you go, "Wow! This is this and this is that!"? Or is it a slight difference where you put them into two seperate bowls and it takes hours to realize the difference?

Doomgaze
05-26-2004, 05:35 AM
The cruel ones. I think that's all we have here, unless Eggland's Best are free-range. They're all expensive, though.

Meat Puppet
05-26-2004, 06:07 AM
Rick Stein did a test and proved that free ranged > battery eggs. I only buy free range. :)

BatChao
05-26-2004, 06:08 AM
Uhh... I don't usually buy eggs... but I'm guessing I eat the battery kind. I didn't even know there were two types of eggs. Guess I learned something fun and new today. Makes me happy... but that picture you showed, Calliope, does not make me happy. :(

Peegee
05-26-2004, 08:53 AM
She can show you lots more. How cows are killed, and *thinks of other animals* I'm pretty sure piggies don't get treated very well either at some 'farms'.

Ki Ki
05-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Well, i never knew there was such a thing.
But...i really don't have a clue what i eat??
I know i don't eat batterys??? WHO does eat batterys?? That's weird.@_@

But....i'd choose to buy the battery ones. Cos....you know. atleast it makes the deaths of all those chickens worth while. I mean then they didn't die for their eggs to be thrown away cos some crazy fool is gonna eat them!! :D :D

Silmaril
05-26-2004, 12:31 PM
I wonder who first thought of eating an egg. What he/she thinking? "Whatever comes out of this feathered animal, i will consume it!" didn't he find the yellow slop a bit disgusting? Baffles the mind.

eternalshiva
05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I buy them only at the farmer's market /end lie

I'm too lazy to check so I just buy them at the store. I doubt the local farms are much of a Battery farmed like egg coot so I assume they are free ranged 'cause people are insane in my province for political correctedness and animal rights activists are insane also. xD *boils some eggs*

Iceglow
05-26-2004, 03:32 PM
I would love to afford to add free range eggs on to my shopping list but living on 88.10 quid a fortnight is difficult enough without worrying about whether my groceries are organic or free range I have to get whatever is cheapest in the way of food therefore a can of heinz baked beans is a rare treat from the harder less yummy asda smart price ones for me also I buy smart price everything generally (ASDA is the closest supermarket to me so substitute smart price for "exceedingly crap budget range" if you don't live near an ASDA) still can't complain it leaves me with the £18 for a bottle of whisky to see me through 2 weeks and the coke to drink it with is 13p a bottle (2litre) but it does go flat within 2 days of opening no matter how tight you put the cap on.

omnitarian
05-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Fun fact: According to U.S. law, a chicken product may be labeled as 'Free Range' if the chickens are allowed access to the outdoors for at least 5 minutes a day. The difference between 'free range' and 'New York City apartment' could be a chicken sized hole in the cage that they can't even get to.

<strike>Food for thought.</strike>
<strike>Chew on that one for a while.</strike>

I can't escape the food puns! :cry:

Doomgaze
05-26-2004, 06:07 PM
I wonder who first thought of eating an egg. What he/she thinking? "Whatever comes out of this feathered animal, i will consume it!" didn't he find the yellow slop a bit disgusting? Baffles the mind.

Um, animals have been eating eggs since long before we were around.