PDA

View Full Version : PSP VS. DS

ZeZipster
05-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I don't think I'm the only one who thinks things are about to get really good in the hand-held industry, with both of these coming out I am really going to enjoy watching one devour the other. I know for sure that the ports the PSP will get from the PS will be great, as for the DS, it's got the hardware.

Flying Mullet
05-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I hope Nintendo doesn't pull the same mistake they did with N64 vs. Playstation with DS vs. PSP.

By now I would hope that Nintendo learned that having superior hardware means nothing if there aren't any games (and good games at that) to play on it.

Maxico
05-26-2004, 04:29 PM
I still think that both of the systems are putting too much effort into the extras. I mean do you really need to play movies or music on a psp and arnt the touch screen and voice recognition going to be costly for the DS.

Agent Proto
05-26-2004, 04:29 PM
That's why the DS has it going. The DS has the potentials to have great fun games that many can play. The PSP would be a PS2 for on the go. It can play DVDs and Music and games, but I think that would quickly use the battery up. I wouldn't know, but I would rather have the DS then the PSP.

Erdrick Holmes
05-28-2004, 05:26 PM
PSP will have Metal Gear Acid and infared wireless multiplayer, it instantly wins.

I noticed the size of the PSP and I have no clue what kind of media format it will run on, will it run off of cartriges or discs?

Agent Proto
05-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Probably something similar to that for PS2, because it can also play movies and music CDs. and mp3s.

Erdrick Holmes
05-28-2004, 05:58 PM
So it runs off of DVD discs?

I seen pictures of it being held in somebody's hand, I don't think a CD/DVD disc can fit in it, unless there's some kind of a external disc drive you strap to your belt or something, or they have little mini discs like the Gamecube.

Maxico
05-28-2004, 07:40 PM
*sigh* Ive said it before so Ill just quote it this time

It has never been confirmed or eve hinted at that you will have to buy your Movie collection on UMD. In the specs for the machine it says that it can support Mpeg4 media files (which can play at near DVD quality) and that it will allow sony memory sticks to be inserted (some of which are pretty big). So as I gather that you will get the file onto some kind of platform that can write on these (PC or PSX) then insert it into your PSP. I have no idea how much the sticks or the hardware you'll need to write on them is going to cost though.

Az Lionheart
05-28-2004, 08:37 PM
PSP will have Metal Gear Acid and infared wireless multiplayer, it instantly wins.

I noticed the size of the PSP and I have no clue what kind of media format it will run on, will it run off of cartriges or discs?

he is right PSP hands down.
have you seen the trailler for the advent children GAME and not the film?

Mr. Graves
05-28-2004, 09:11 PM
PSP is a bit too bulky for my liking. I like my handheld consoles nice and compact.

ZeZipster
05-28-2004, 09:19 PM
he is right PSP hands down.
have you seen the trailler for the advent children GAME and not the film?
No, please post. I demand you please post!

Maxico
05-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Oh crap, I forgot to say. The PSP will run off these disks
<Image src="http://webimage.gamer.tv/fif=/2004/05/12/0000582247.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=450&hei=357&cvt=jpeg" width=450 height=357>

BatChao
05-29-2004, 11:36 AM
It has never been confirmed or eve hinted at that you will have to buy your Movie collection on UMD. In the specs for the machine it says that it can support Mpeg4 media files (which can play at near DVD quality) and that it will allow sony memory sticks to be inserted (some of which are pretty big). So as I gather that you will get the file onto some kind of platform that can write on these (PC or PSX) then insert it into your PSP. I have no idea how much the sticks or the hardware you'll need to write on them is going to cost though.

I'm pretty sure they are going to release movies on the UMD discs. At E3, they had a whole wall of boxes of movies and games with UMD written on them. I've attached a pic. You can see on the top of the movies, it says UMD. So I'm guessing that this means they are planning on release at least these movies on the UMD discs, and probably more.

Maxico
05-29-2004, 11:47 AM
THEY GOT MEDIEVIL!

ok I need a psp now.

square_is_the_best
06-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Nintendo has failed me on good games...sort of. Ps2 was my first Sony system and it has more good games, specifically 1 player games (rpgs, adventure), than Gamecube and Xbox combined. I don't care how much it costs me. I'm gettin a PSP. Just like FFXI. Besides I already have a Nintendo handheld.