PDA

View Full Version : Is The Internet Becoming A Bore?

Rainecloud
05-26-2004, 05:50 PM
After reading Mik's LiveJournal, I have come to the conclusion that the Internet (in general) is a lot more boring than it used to be. Only a few top-notch sites remain, not as many people seem to be using it for good and wholesome purposes any more, and I personally estimate that the majority of the Internet - let's say 80% - is full of broken links and other random rubbish.

So, what do you think? Is the Internet boring, or are you enjoying it as much as you always have?

You can apply this topic to EoFF as well, if you wish...

Misfit
05-26-2004, 06:10 PM
I think it's boring.

I only go online to lurk EoFF (EoFF has become somewhat boring to me, too), LJ, and to talk to a certain person. And if it gets REALLY boring, then I just play UO.

I hate it when the only thing that keeps me from real world boredom has become boring, as well. x.o

Peegee
05-26-2004, 06:14 PM
A great deal of adult material is insufficient for my needs, and a lot of fora are pathetic, and a lot of webpages I will never visit.

In other words, I have a closed mind, and it's my fault.

Cz
05-26-2004, 06:14 PM
I've taken a break recently, and so having rediscovered EoFF and other sites, it's all quite exciting again. However, I'm sure that I'll tire of it again, and disappear for another couple of months. Occasional breaks are the best way to tackle internet boredom, in my opinion.

Another good way to keep yourself interested is to try something new. Subscribe to another forum, or search for a decent, regularly updated site that keeps you coming back to the net. I recommend The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/index.php?pre=1) for this purpose.

DMKA
05-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Yeah, it used to be alot more fun, but I don't think its the net, I think its us from being on it too much. :/

Now I struggle to find stuff to do online because the net is my only resort to keep from going completely insane.

Peegee
05-26-2004, 06:32 PM
I find downloading fansubbed anime to be a 'mission', and when I'm not downloading, I feel incomplete for some reason. It's odd.

Anyway, as long as you have something to 'do', then you won't get bored. Though, it's probably a good thing that you are bored of the net. Get outside!

black orb
05-26-2004, 06:37 PM
>>> yeah, internet is boring as hell..

Mikztsu
05-26-2004, 06:59 PM
But it wasn't boring when you just really started using it. And the sucky thing is, thatwhile internet might be boring, I don't often have anything less boring to do. 8-) Maybe I should start trying some other places, forums than EoFF for a change, but I doubt that would be too exciting anymore either. Biggest thing for me, probably is that I really don't have any people to chat with anymore, while I used to have tons of them. :-)

ZeZipster
05-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Ah, the internet is only boring when you compare it to real life. Which sucks. I'm sticking to MMORPGs and random online comics... 's not so boring.

Psychotic
05-26-2004, 07:38 PM
It's sorta less boring but more boring than it was. Like, before I'd just visit a jillion webpages, but now I just get bombarded with IMs <s>of people asking for sex</s>. Well, not bombarded, but this time last year, I spoke to no-one but IRL people on one messenger, and now I speak to loads of EoFF people on loads of messengers. Which I enjoy. Which also occupies my time. So when I do go on sites, I have visited them less so they are less boring.

RSL
05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
It's boring. I check/post in my livejournal, check a couple boards, find nothing interesting there, and then wonder what to do next.

Mr. Graves
05-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Forums do become boring after so long.

Agent Proto
05-26-2004, 07:55 PM
How dare you think the Internet is boring. :D

Well, I suppose you could be more bored if you spend your time you would usually spend doing other things... That reminds me, I need to draw. Adios!

Rainecloud
05-26-2004, 08:03 PM
I find myself constantly refreshing the EoFF forums at times...

How sad and pathetic. :D

Shoeberto
05-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Wow, I'm not the only one.

It's really sad because, even when nothing's happening, I still click in between maybe four or five sites in my favorite just because I think something might happen.

Cz
05-26-2004, 08:52 PM
Join the club, guys. I tried to make an uneventful hour seem interesting by looking at the 'Who's Online' page. How sad.

Here's an idea. When you're bored, take a look in the General Archive. There's some real gold in there, and some of it's 20 pages long.

Mikztsu
05-26-2004, 08:55 PM
It's really sad because, even when nothing's happening, I still click in between maybe four or five sites in my favorite just because I think something might happen.

Heh, you summed up my thoughts there niftly, son.

Yes, HELL, it's understandable when you're addicted in something <i>cool</i>. But why it has to be something so boring? :-( This is sad.

Rye
05-26-2004, 08:57 PM
It's just a matter of how much you use it. I get bored with it sometimes, but I'm on the internet too much.

Xander
05-26-2004, 09:07 PM
It's boring in general because the novelty has worn off.

Things like here and LJ still interest me most the time though, but after that and checking my email and college mail, I get lost for what to do next. But it's good that it's there when you find a new interest or something you want to look up. And music. It's still useful just not as "exciting" as it used to be I guess, but maybe that's because our opinions have changed not the net itself.

Dragonflame
05-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah...I generally don't get bored of the internet, but that's because whenever nothing is happening I get up and do something else.

bennator
05-26-2004, 09:14 PM
I have to say, I feel bored by it. I mean, I don't post that often here (I do try to read once a day), and there are only a few other sites I check out.

Kirobaito
05-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah, Jayren, I find myself just refreshing the index constantly, too.

I had never really even GOTTEN into the whole internet thing until about late January, when I rediscovered EoFF. And since then, I've been obsessed with it. But yes, I do become bored with it at times.

Shlup
05-26-2004, 09:33 PM
I think the internet has tons of entertaining stuff to do, its me that's finding other things to do away from the computer.

The Man
05-26-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm actually more excited by recent developments on the Internet than I have been for awhile, but perhaps it's just because I've really gotten into LiveJournal for the first time recently, and discovered the wealth of political information that gets spread at a tremendous pace.

There's no denying that the novelty wears off after awhile, but I don't think it's a case of the internet being boring - we just demand more. I certainly don't find it nearly exciting to be staff on other people's message boards, or run my own, as I used to - which isn't to say I don't enjoy it, it's just worked itself into being an accepted part of my life. (Although I do realise that any of this could change in a heartbeat).

Most of why I spend so much time is that it's the easiest way to stay in touch with my girlfriend at the moment... I guess it's mostly political stuff and my girlfriend that keeps me online so much.

Baloki
05-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Sometimes

EDIT BY BoB: No more of that, Baloki.<!--font style="left: 388px; :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou: absolute; top: 515px; color: #ffffff"><b><big>I am naked</big></b>

m4tt
05-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Yes it is.

And is it just me or is Jayren trying to tell me something? *see attachment*

Casey
05-26-2004, 10:50 PM
The internet isnt boring, your just boring. :p

Yes it is.

And is it just me or is Jayren trying to tell me something? *see attachment*

Yes, I see that to on the reply button. wtf?

Dingo Jellybean
05-26-2004, 11:02 PM
I had a similar topic like this weeks ago. The internet, like life, is just another experience in life that becomes boring. Unfortunately for me, it's been boring for years, I just go on for the sake of going on. That's why I wish school would hurry the hell up and start. :o

Loony BoB
05-26-2004, 11:07 PM
No dramas, that's the problem. Was the internet ever interesting without a bit of conflict to get conversations started?

I get by, though, by creating things for myself to do - eg, Aiyon, LJ, EoFF Site Staff etc.

GrimmReaper
05-26-2004, 11:41 PM
The internet is boring because your constantly doing the same things day in day out.

find something new to do once in a while. It helps.

Skogs
05-26-2004, 11:41 PM
I only find that I'm drawn to the internet when I'm supposed to be studying or something like that. Otherwise, I go have fun elsewhere...

Yamaneko
05-27-2004, 12:47 AM
The Internet became boring five minutes after I first started using it back in 1997. I only stay to become enlightened by the knowledge of teenagers with bad acne and foul mouths.

bennator
05-27-2004, 01:17 AM
I think the internet has tons of entertaining stuff to do, its me that's finding other things to do away from the computer.

I have to agree here. When I first joined EoFF back in 2001, or when I was a random surfer before that, I was a middle schooler with no friends, and no social life whatsoever. As I've slowly found more things to do outside the internet, the internet becomes less and less important in my life.

Galadrius
05-27-2004, 01:25 AM
The internet is boring; this isn't a recent development.

War Angel
05-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Yes, of-course, the Internet is boring. Because, ultimate, unlimited access to almost every piece of information ever created by man-kind is boring, and because meeting people from all over the globe is boring. Yeah, that makes sense.

Meat Puppet
05-27-2004, 06:56 AM
It's boring and giving me cancer, true. But at the moment of my life I have nothing else to do, so I read your posts. At least new useless information about your exciting lives is entertaining and keeps the internet a little more less boring.

Rainecloud
05-27-2004, 07:37 AM
I'm actually more excited by recent developments on the Internet than I have been for awhile, but perhaps it's just because I've really gotten into LiveJournal for the first time recently, and discovered the wealth of political information that gets spread at a tremendous pace.

I have to admit, LJ has consumed a lot of my time recently. Although EoFF is still the place where I spend the majority of my free Internet time, I use my lovely journal almost as much.

Join the club, guys. I tried to make an uneventful hour seem interesting by looking at the 'Who's Online' page. How sad.

Hmm. Looking at this "Who's Online" page sure is interesting. You can even see what people are doing.

http://thefarplane.co.uk/jayren/WhosOnline.gif

O_o

Dr Unne
05-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Yes, of-course, the Internet is boring. Because, ultimate, unlimited access to almost every piece of information ever created by man-kind is boring, and because meeting people from all over the globe is boring. Yeah, that makes sense.

Exactly. I don't see how "the internet" can be boring. Have you seen the whole thing? Have you met every person who uses it? It's like saying "the telephone is boring" or "the newspaper is boring". The internet is a medium for communication, and it's only as boring as the people you communicate with. If "the internet" to you means EoFF + a few blogs, then that's your own fault for not using it to its full potential.

EoFF is exactly the same as it's always been, minus a few people, plus a few other people. The internet is the same as it's always been, minus a few sites, plus a few others. I use the internet to communicate with people on a daily basis whom I would otherwise be unable to talk to, and it's worth it to me for that reason alone. I use the internet to learn about programming, about art, about the books I like to read, about religion, about world events, etc. How about this: http://www.promo.net/pg/ Thousands upon thousands of books, put into plaintext format, available for you to read from anywhere on the planet almost instantly. No, it's not boring for me, because I like such things as "learning", and the internet is one of the best tools for learning that was ever produced. You can very likely view a new web page every minute for the rest of your life and never have to see the same one twice.

Silmaril
05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Since my exams finished I've been online 24 hrs a day...but now...I...am...bored.... *dies*

Rusty
05-27-2004, 09:12 AM
It's alright once you first get on..then you get everything done and then it fun sorta dies and then you find youself refreshing the index page constantly just in case something exciting happens...

Peegee
05-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Dr Unne, I do not appreciate you telling kids about my self-promotion webpage.

Polaris
05-27-2004, 05:31 PM
I find smth always interesting in Internet!

New foruns, new images, I'm never bored!

Cz
05-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Perhaps it's not the internet that's boring. Maybe we're just not trying hard enough to entertain ourselves.

Oh, and congrats on the Who's Online page, Jayren (I'm Still fighting the urge to call you Raine), it's made an otherwise mediocre week a lot better.

Baloki
05-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Perhaps it's not the internet that's boring. Maybe we're just not trying hard enough to entertain ourselves.

Oh, and congrats on the Who's Online page, Jayren (I'm Still fighting the urge to call you Raine), it's made an otherwise mediocre week a lot better.

I'm resisting the urge to call him whinecloud ;)

Shoeberto
05-27-2004, 08:31 PM
I think you're neglecting to take into consideration the amount of crap on the internet.

I've been trying to turn my constant online-ness into something constructive, liking learning stuff about computers - C++, Linux, security, whatever. Stuff that'll help me arf up the school computers during a boring computer class.

Kami
05-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I am EXTREMELY bored right now.

Del Murder
05-28-2004, 02:53 AM
No way! Fantasy Baseball is much more exciting this year because there is actual competition. And being a Cid's Knight there is always stuff to check here. And if all else fails there are people's journals or even my own. There's also various sports/games/movie news at my disposal. So I think it is still great.

escobert
05-28-2004, 03:04 AM
All I do online is go to EoFF and EoFFFF. Or I play Medal of Honor Allied Assult and talk to PG and sometimes my friends. thats about it.

Shoyku
05-28-2004, 04:00 AM
My life would be much more boring without the internet, so I don't mind.

Dew Drop
05-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Hmm, I think the internet is the slightest bit more boring than before. If you had asked me a week or two ago though I'd have agreed that it's become completely boring. I've started working on a project though and posting on Livejournal more, and suddenly it's not quite so boring. x.o I think the internet's only boring if you can't find things to do.