PDA

View Full Version : Mother Nature

The Captain
05-27-2004, 12:23 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=589&e=3&u=/ap/20040526/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/caribbean_storms

Quite a tragedy, there's no two ways about it. It also shows yet again the force and power of the elements.

What's the worst weather/storm you've ever experienced?

A few years ago, a tornado touched down, quite literally a mile from my house, destroying an entire block of businesses in the downtown area of my town. Trees and powerlines were down everywhere, we couldn't even get into my house for hours until the branches and the like were cleared.

Take care all.

TasteyPies
05-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Just my flashflood...nothing special

Sure tornaders and the like fly around once and a while but never touch down in my city.

Oh yeah and the blizard, that was pretty cool.
So so so much snow, a HUGE amount of snow

TheAbominatrix
05-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Our weather doesnt get bad out here like that. I suppose the biggest natural disaster I've ever experienced was the LA earthquakes back in... 94? Thereabouts. The ones that did all the damage. However, we're so far from LA that it didnt do much, and I slept through it anyway.

Skogs
05-27-2004, 12:36 AM
There were some pretty bad wind storms in France where I was living a few years back. I could see the roof coming off a nearby barn and piling up on the walls of my house. The guttering came right off my neighbour's house as well. If anyone had been hit by the debris they could have been hurt quite badly, even killed. I think there were some deaths in France, but none in my area.

Strider
05-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Coming home from New Hampshire this past January, I had a layover at Chicago O'Hare. Unfortunately for us, there was a snowstorm rolling through the Midwest at the time. I'd never seen so much white in my life. I ended up getting on the next flight home three hours after mine, since it'd been cancelled.

Kirobaito
05-27-2004, 02:18 AM
There was a set of tornadoes that rolled through downtown Fort Worth in 99, I think? It was on my friends birthday, I remember that, at least. It didn't really affect me, since I live far from downtown, but it still happened.

fire_of_avalon
05-27-2004, 02:45 AM
Snow. Blizzard like snow. The bad one in '93. That's pretty much it, besides the odd thunderstorm, but I like those and they never hurt me.

escobert
05-27-2004, 02:52 AM
People die all the time up here durring the winter in snow storms. Apparently a huricane hit a couple years ago up here but I dunno where I was. most likely sleeping. and everyonce in a while we get an earthquake.

Peegee
05-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Lightning struck the tree outside my house. Now the government's tree is all cut down and everywhere.

That's the closest I've been to 'suffering' from 'mother' 'nature'.

sephxangel
05-27-2004, 12:15 PM
When I was younger me and my sister were playing outside and a tornado that hadn't touched ground went right over us...it was mainly a lot of wind, but when i think about it if it had touched down...well, we all know what would have happened to me then.

War Angel
05-27-2004, 01:34 PM
When an eastern wind is prominent, and stays for a long while... the temperature starts rising (up to 48c, or 120F), and there are sand-storms. But, that's about as extreme as it gets, in terms of weather.

Iceglow
05-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I was driving with my brother through the area of essex just west of Colchester town on the country lanes and we got chased by a tornado. What the feth is a tornado doing 5 miles from Colchester? it was pretty messy after wards luckily though there was a bridge that stopped the debris from hitting our car as it passed through the field next to the road. good for the adrenaline and pretty cool but it was also pretty scary it was the first time we had experienced weather like that in that area of the UK, it just seems that more extreme weather is becomming more and more common in the UK now though, earthquakes in scotland, tornadoes in the southern counties and essex what next tsunami's in cornwall?