PDA

View Full Version : ffIII why has it never been released?

aeris2001x2
05-27-2004, 06:34 PM
ok my is brother rebooting his computer, everything crashs, and i,ve lost all my FF3 data. i was only half way through but very annoyed at my loss. this is why i hate playing games on the pc.

why cant i have it at home for my ps1? why did square never release it. if they released 5 other ff's for the ps1 in the space of a year in the uk why not an extra 1 to complete the set?

any ideas?

Ultima Shadow
05-27-2004, 06:43 PM
That annoys me to. FF3 is the only one i haven't played.

blue_midget192
05-27-2004, 06:54 PM
yup, i third that sentement! it is very annoying that we cant play FF3 unless its on a ROM which is technically illeagal! :(

Flying Mullet
05-27-2004, 06:56 PM
They haven't released FFIII on a home console outside of Japan yet because they want people to make threads at message boards whining about how FFIII has never been released on a home console outside of Japan.

TasteyPies
05-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Your not missing anything... ff2-6 are so much alike

Ultima Shadow
05-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Your not missing anything... ff2-6 are so much alike
Not relly...

aeris2001x2
05-27-2004, 07:27 PM
how is ff2 anything like ff6? thats like comparing mud to the food of the gods! and ff4 is divine 2.

"They haven't released FFIII on a home console outside of Japan yet because they want people to make threads at message boards whining about how FFIII has never been released on a home console outside of Japan."

why would they want that...does that make money?

TasteyPies
05-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Graphics wise they are realy close....or maybe i should play ff6 again..

aeris2001x2
05-27-2004, 08:05 PM
the remakes were but the originals graphics of ff2 and ff3 were awful. ff4-6 were close but still very different games.

Ultima Shadow
05-27-2004, 08:12 PM
It's not the graphic that judge the game. Story, characters, gameplay and even the music is far more important.

TasteyPies
05-27-2004, 08:51 PM
but after playing ff2,3,5 and 6 ff4 was super boring for me. It was like the same game but a different world and people each time.

aeris2001x2
05-28-2004, 03:45 PM
every ff is very different for me except ff3 which is similar to ff1. just because the graphics are similar doesnt mean they dont have a completly diff story, character development and atmosphere.

and even if for example ff4 was a better version of ff2 (hyperthetical of course), how would that reduce its genius? every ff has the same basic foundation and its the characters and different world and story that change it to a diff game entirely.

TasteyPies
05-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Completely different story?

First 5 seconds
Ok lifes good whoopie!

Middle chunk of story
omg no! whats going on? who is that guy? why is he doing this?

End
Must kill bad guy! yay! he is dead the world is saved!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Congratulations on missing the point.

Mr. Graves
05-28-2004, 09:18 PM
Be patient, grasshopper. It'll come.

DJZen
05-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Wha? The graphics for FF3 didn't suck.... You might not like them but for their time they were really good. Square actually pulled off an impressive number of effects on the NES. Just the fact that FF2 had spell graphics that changed as the spells gained levels was incredibly cool, not to mention a frivelous drain on storage space. It always amazes me how they manage to cram so much detail into a 2x8 tile sprite that gets alloted a grand total of 3 colors. You kids are so spoiled these days with your FMVs...

aeris2001x2
05-29-2004, 12:13 AM
i was saying they suck now adays where the snes ones dont.

tastypies that u have just described IS the basic structure of an ff in its simplistic form, including your beloved ff8.

DJZen
05-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Yeah but they don't SUCK outright. There's no point where you say "what the heck? Am I fighting a dragon or a chia pet?" The graphics are also appropriate for what they represent. Onion Knights look like little kids wearing fantasy style clothing, which is what they're supposed to be. You can tell exactly what things are by looking at them, and they all fit well together. There's not really any sprites that you look at and just say "well that's stupid...".

omnitarian
05-29-2004, 04:54 AM
You can't be mean to a game because of the graphical limitations of its hardware. That's like knocking Napoleon because he didn't have Ronald Reagan's Star Wars death beam.

TasteyPies
05-29-2004, 05:05 AM
tastypies that u have just described IS the basic structure of an ff in its simplistic form, including your beloved ff8. -aeris

NO!! Ultimecia was a bad GIRL not guy! Besides FF8 isnt my favorite RPG anymore.....Crono trigger, I love thee!

Wha? The graphics for FF3 didn't suck.... You might not like them but for their time they were really good. -DJzen to Aeris

She never said the graphics sucked, she said they suck in comparisson to SNES graphics. Honestly though i dont see much of a difference.

But then i dissagree with that, they look almost the same. Just the dots made to use them are like 1/6 in size so they could add more shading in the same place. But jumping from ff6 to 7 is what im talking about. Compared to 7, 2-6 are the same type of graphics almost kinda sorta.

aeris2001x2
05-29-2004, 02:50 PM
i,m assuming the anthology ff4-6 are the original snes graphics and not remakes? if so they r miles ahead of the emulator ff3 i,ve played. and as i,ve said already, just because it was the best possible at the time does not mean it doesnt suck now. snes on the other hand still looks beautiful.

lol, i wish they would release these illustrious chrono trigger and cross in the uk.

DJZen
05-30-2004, 02:17 AM
jumping from ff6 to 7 is what im talking about. Compared to 7, 2-6 are the same type of graphics almost kinda sorta.

Yeah, it's called making the transition from 2-D to 3-D. The graphics from FFI-VII ARE all in the same style. Notice how Cloud's field graphics make him look short, pudgy, and like he has no hands, nose or mouth? The FFVII field graphics are basically the same as FFI-VI battle graphics. In battle they look slightly more human proportioned. FFVIII was the first game they tried to have with all human proportioned characters all the time. There's no huge stylistic jump from battle to field graphics, and they never start looking terribly cartoony. I'm hoping someday soon Square-Enix will do a FF game that uses FFI style graphics in 3-D. When everyone says how awesome they are and how bad the NES graphics were, I'll laugh my socks off.

eestlinc
06-03-2004, 10:41 AM
ff2 and ff3 were released on famicon, which is the nes, which has bad graphics.

ff3 will never be released. not enough people care and the game is so old.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Except Square continues to say that they're going to do it.

eestlinc
06-03-2004, 10:26 PM
lies.

The Man
06-04-2004, 01:54 AM
See for yourself. (http://foolsgold.kicks-ass.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7508)

Completely different story?

First 5 seconds
Ok lifes good whoopie!

Middle chunk of story
omg no! whats going on? who is that guy? why is he doing this?

End
Must kill bad guy! yay! he is dead the world is saved!
Congratulations, you just described every video game ever made.

Del Murder
06-04-2004, 03:00 AM
Not Tetris.

aeris2001x2
06-05-2004, 12:31 AM
ff2 and ff3 were released on famicon, which is the nes, which has bad graphics.

ff3 will never be released. not enough people care and the game is so old.

i,m currently playing both ffIII and ffV and ffIII is grabing me more then V right now. why dont ppl care about ffIII? AND they re-released ffI(1987) and released ffII(1988) for the first time which are older then ffIII. what has age got 2 do with it?

The Man
06-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Not Tetris.
Valid point. :(

eestlinc
06-06-2004, 09:05 AM
they released ff1 because there was demand and they put ff2 on with it because they had space and they already had a wonderswan remake, I think. ff3 would require a lot of work to redo, translate, etc and there isn't anything to package it with. ff3 and mystic quest? SIGN ME UP.

Del Murder
06-06-2004, 05:25 PM
FFIII and SD3 would be better.

The Man
06-07-2004, 01:19 AM
ff3 and seiken densetsu 3 would be beautiful, kthx

Edit: Blast, I didn't see Murder's post on the next page. 'Kay, well, I agree with him. 'Course the Mystic Quest suggestion obviously wasn't serious anyway.

DJZen
06-07-2004, 01:44 AM
they released ff1 because there was demand and they put ff2 on with it because they had space and they already had a wonderswan remake, I think. ff3 would require a lot of work to redo, translate, etc and there isn't anything to package it with. ff3 and mystic quest? SIGN ME UP.

Oh please, if they re-did FFMQ to include FMVs of things blowing up and made the characters whine about their feelings you kids would be ALL over it.

FFI and II were remade for the WSC and then those remakes were remade for PS1. In Japan they were actually sold separately. There wasn't REALLY demand for a FFI remake. Heck, an unfounded lie about a ficticious sequel to FFVII got more attention. Even the planned remake of FFVIII got more attention and it NEVER EVEN GOT OFF THE GROUND. US game news made no mention whatsoever of the re-released FFI&II, even though articles on the WS and WSC had been printed, and the PS versions recieved no attention whatsoever.

eestlinc
06-07-2004, 05:37 AM
while I'm sure legions of FF message board goers like us would eat up a ff3-sd3 package deal, I doubt they'd even sell enough to cover the cost of doing the remake.

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
i would love to see ffIII released with, say, chrono cross or trigger(uk never got these) or with tactics(never got that either) but i would also like a girlfriend and thats going SO well... :rolleyes2

Ultima Shadow
06-07-2004, 02:56 PM
FFIII remake released with a girlfriend. :D

The Man
06-07-2004, 05:45 PM
That would definitely sell, yyyyyyyup.

And I wouldn't buy a remake of FFMQ under any circumstances, unless it were packaged with some other game I really wanted.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Square lost a lot more money on The Spirits Within than they would lose on this, and this time it would be for a good cause.

DJZen
06-08-2004, 06:21 AM
yeah, but they need to be convinced of that apparently.

eestlinc
06-08-2004, 06:54 AM
But if Square cared about fanboy gamers in the US, they'd hire better translators.

Sefie1999AD
06-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I agree with the opinion that FF3 and SD3 should be remade. While many people want GBA remakes, I'd want a PSX remake too. The sound and music quality of FF Origins PSX is a lot better than in, say, FFTA (GBA) or FF1's WSC version.

But if Square cared about fanboy gamers in the US, they'd hire better translators.

There are European FF fans too, you know. We've been neglected even more than American fans. Anyway, I somewhat agree about the translation thing. The name translations in FF2 Origins were horrible, and the same can be said about FF5 Anthology.

FF3j is actually a great game. The graphics are not ugly, they're among the best I've ever seen on NES, and the game almost looks like FF4 and FF5. The music is very good, there's lots of catchy and beautiful themes that set the mood well. Character development is quite lacking, but the story is still good enough to keep you interested, and there are twists and surprises in the game. Battle system is the greatest thing about the game, IMHO. It's a lot like FF5's Job system with the ability to change from one class to another and create tons of different party combinations that way, even though FF3j's system isn't as advanced as that of FF5. Overall, a great game that should get an outside-Japan release and remake.

DJZen
06-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Actually, FFII recieved a very good translation in comparison to what we've been getting. There were no spoony bards, no sons of submariners, and nothing was off course. If you didn't like it, well I can't really dispute that, but technically speaking, it was one of the best translations that a FF game has ever gotten.

aeris2001x2
06-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Actually, FFII recieved a very good translation in comparison to what we've been getting. There were no spoony bards, no sons of submariners, and nothing was off course. If you didn't like it, well I can't really dispute that, but technically speaking, it was one of the best translations that a FF game has ever gotten.

what the spoony bard and son of submariner were translation errors? i thought they were really funny and genius script writing :D.

DJZen
06-09-2004, 06:31 PM
It's more like an example of how the other games haven't gotten stellar translations. As much as I like Woolsey's script translation, there's a lot of errors when it comes to items, monsters and abilities. These don't really wind up making the game harder to understand or anything, but it can be obnoxious. I personally just pretend that Pearl is actually Holy, others have more objections to the liberties he took.

Sylvie
10-17-2004, 06:23 PM
I wish it was on console. And if it was they would probably screw up the freakin graphics and make them "good". I want it the way it was. Not a remake. To me Enix is mind controlling squaresoft!! ENIX SUCKS!!!

DJZen
10-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Eau Contrare, mon ami. When the merger happened, Enix USA was shut down and Square USA was chosen to handle the American side of the biz. However, they have time and time again been dismissive of their fans and simply delete any e-mails pertaining to Dragon Warrior. Enix was, is, and always will be a great company, but since the merger the "Enix" games have been getting less than stellar treatment. In reality, it's Square that's flushing Enix down the toilet on this side of the pacific. Japan has had it really well regarding "Enix" games so far. The PS2 remake of DQV looks simply breathtaking.

UltimateSpamGrover
10-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Not Tetris.

nor Super Smash Bros either

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Thread obsolete.