PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding Disc Label info

Kirobaito
05-27-2004, 07:09 PM
I didn't put this in GGD because, well, I need help searching for official documentation.

I purchased a used Xenogears yesterday from Hollywood Video, and when I brought it home, I saw that there were labels on the discs. Obviously, I know that labels on a game disc can ruin your PS2, but the manager would not let me return the game because he thought I was lying. In order for me to return the game, I need to find the information stating that labels will ruin consoles online somewhere, but my searches come up empty. Could someone help me out?

crono_logical
05-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Depends on the sort of label. If it covers the entire disc evenly, then it's fine. If not, e.g. it's a square/rectangular label or on one side, it imbalances the mass of the disc, causing it to vibrate when rotating at high speeds in the drive, and who knows what could break then. It could come loose in the drive and damage the insides - at the speed it's rotating it, it's got quite a bit of energy to break stuff if it hits something. Plus because it's imbalanced, it's pulling the rotating mechanism outwards too, much like if you try spinning something on an end of a string really fast, so you could break the machanism that way. Not to mention it adds strain to the motor due to the extra force required to rotate the disc as the centre of mass is shifted away from the centre of the disc where the rotating force is applied, so you could burn the motor out too. Either that, or it simply won't spin at the required speed it needs to be spinning at since the motor isn't strong enough, so may not play correctly. This would apply to any CD/DVD, and not just console discs.

Regardless, if you have a receipt, you should be able to return the game anyway :p Otherwise, I dunno, go to the police and say they're doing bad business practices or something - I'm not a lawyer, so dunno if that'd work :D

Kirobaito
05-27-2004, 10:46 PM
It was a small label on only one side. And they claimed crap like "all sales are final" or something like that. All I gotta do is find some site that agrees with me, and he'll let me return it.

crono_logical
05-27-2004, 11:45 PM
http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=891

Good stuff in the attachments in that thread, though you need to register to view attachments there (like here really :p ). The one of interest to you is probably the page numbered 23 of the first attachment, by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which I'll attach here for you. It doesn't specifically specify small labels on the side as it appears to be talking about full face labels, but the effects can be implied from the text anyway if you read it carefully :p

EDIT: Oh, on page vi: DO NOT: 3. Use adhesive labels :p

Kirobaito
05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Muchas gracias, senor.