PDA

View Full Version : What defines a "gamer"?

Xander
05-27-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm just wondering what you all think.

Is a gamer someone who plays games a lot or plays a wide range of games, or just anyone who plays games? Do you have to be good at games to be a gamer or just be interested in games?

Or is it just another meaningless label with no single definition?

Erdrick Holmes
05-27-2004, 11:15 PM
I'd say somebody who actually knows/plays games well. Like my fighting game skills, they cannot be touched. Also somebody with a wide range of consoles is a gamer as well.

Kirobaito
05-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I'd say someone who plays more than one system, and plays a wide range of games. I consider myself a gamer, because I play both the Sony and Nintendo line of consoles, and the XBox if I could afford it. I consider myself a liker of a wide range of games (RPG, Fighting, Sports, Adventure, Dance), and while I know that I'm not the best at any of these genres, I remind myself that a Jack of All Trades masters none.

Erdrick Holmes
05-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Also playing games non stop even whilst on the road fits. I carry my GBA SP with me almost everywhere, I play it on the bus, during study hall, road trips, bathroom breaks, and during long walks to certain places.

OOC: I've actually developed a sence that I can walk a staight line without tripping or buming into anything or even walking onto the middle of the road and still play my game.

Doc Sark
05-28-2004, 12:57 AM
I disagree. I think the term gamer is just a meaningless media tag that can be applied to anyone who plays games. I don't consider myself a serious gamer, yet I am still a gamer nonetheless because I play video games in my spare time like millions of other people in the world. I am not a master of any of them (except Pro Evolution) but I enjoy them. I think anyone that enjoys a particular video game of any sort could be considered a gamer.

Del Murder
05-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Someone who plays games.

ZeZipster
05-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Some one who does not have a life.

Masami
05-28-2004, 04:47 AM
Some one who does not have a life.

As a gamer, I agree

Breine
05-28-2004, 11:35 AM
I consider a 'Gamer' as somebody who is interested in games and spents a lot of time playing them.

Project G
05-28-2004, 12:10 PM
A gamer is a person who plays a lot of games but an extreme gamer is a person who has no social life and has Insomnia

Advent-Sepheroth
05-28-2004, 01:25 PM
A gamer to me, is someone who values games, and their consoles.
I for example, have alot of gaming consoles, as well, as a gaming computer which I love so very, very much.

I have all the nintendo's (except for the GameCube I need to get one now that their a 100 bucks :eek: )

Also, a gamer, who looks at the cutscenes, like in War Craft 3, and say

"OMG! THAT IS BEUTIFUL!" A gamer is some one who starts playing a sirvival horror game at 9 o'clock at night and with all the lights turned out, and with the doors unlocked (I do that all the time).

Most importantly, A gamer, is someone again VALUES the games he plays, when you beat a game, and go "that was a sweet game", you start all over to get all the hidden secrets and stuff like that.

Cz
05-28-2004, 04:36 PM
I consider a 'Gamer' as somebody who is interested in games and spents a lot of time playing them.

Simple definition, but entirely correct, in my view. You don't need a specific number of consoles, or even to be particularly good at games to be a 'gamer'. If you consider games to be an important part of your life, and not just a background attraction, then you're a gamer.

Casey
05-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Been playin since age 4 baby! Super Mario Bros 2/Duck Hunt was my first game :D Im a gammer! A gammer is a gammer... Who plays video games! Nothing much to say there...

BatChao
05-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Everyone has a different definition, and it doesn't mean much, but to me, a gamer is someone who may or may not specialize in a particular game/genre, but will try out and play various genres. But I think the key aspect of a gamer is his love and appreciation for video games. He not only appreciates them as a form of entertainment, but also as a peice of art, and acknowledges those that have put their blood, sweat, and tears into a game. A gamer will also try his best to keep up with the direction of where the game industry is going and tries to keep up with news and the like.

Rostum
05-29-2004, 01:01 PM
A gamer plays games alot, over more than one system.

CloudySky
05-29-2004, 10:22 PM
A gamer is a person who plays a lot of games but an extreme gamer is a person who has no social life and has Insomnia

Taken from my mouth and life.

Lord Chainsaw
05-30-2004, 02:47 AM
Someone who has beaten Super Ghouls N Ghosts.

Now THAT'S a gamer.

Yamaneko
05-30-2004, 06:29 AM
gam·er
n.

One who plays a game, especially a role-playing or computer game.

Erdrick Holmes
05-30-2004, 06:42 AM
I concider myself a gamer concidering the most I play is fighters and action games.

Rase
05-30-2004, 07:01 AM
anyone who plays games?

Spray
05-31-2004, 12:18 PM
A real gamer to me is someone who takes the time to perfect their game and proves their ability on a competitive level. Their aim, timing, strategies whatever. A real gamer is not someone who claims to be elite at whatever game by beating computer players or newbs. :p