PDA

View Full Version : Past or present?

Ki Ki
05-28-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't know if it's only me that's noticed this....but doesn't life suck?
I mean everday is full of work,work,work. It's tiring and the world is consumed by crazy people who live for money!
Isn't life a bore? Nothing exciting. No epic heroic tales. Not like back in the past. When life was full of excitment. And there was more to life then money and work. In the past when you could fight wars and embark on unforgetable adventures.

So.When would you like to live? Past or present? What do you prefer and why?

eternalshiva
05-28-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm pretty sure people in the past thought their 'present' was boring. The only reason why it seems 'exciting' is because they are all wadded up in a hand held document called a history book, seems exciting but if you look at the time line of the past, nothing exciting happened in one country without YEARS and YEARS between events. The time line is a cobination of WORLD events and our present time line is full of events but no one cares all that much, nuch like the people in the past. Most likely, people in the past were not even AWARE that stuff was happening because they had no high-speed technology to relay the news to them unlike today.

We're overly exposed to 'current' events and we're barely phased by it, living in the ignorance of witnessing everything at once and we still find it 'boring' and uninteresting.

Fight wars? There are currently over 300 civil wars ongoing in the world where thousands of people are dying nearly everyday. Epic Journeys? Join up the Frontier Doctors that go into war zones for FREE and try to patch up the mess. Those are brave people.

I choose to live in the world of reality. History was written by the winners so their tales are mostly fluffy bunny and *omg we so kicked their arses! Let's put a monument for the brave dead* but you never hear the real story behind what it took to win and what the losers had to suffer through *snorts* Unforgettable adventures? Ask the dead guy who was on the unforgettable adventure how he feels about it.

I rather live today and see where the future takes me than in the past. The past as you read it is a half truth, not necessarily completely facutal ;p

EDIT: I don't think the 'Live for money' mentality has changed much over the centuries, I mean, people worked themselves WAY harder than we do today to live. Conditions were way harsher, people sucked WAY more and the whole *can't pay your tarrif to the King/ruler/tyrant well off to prison / death!* Still happens today but without the guillotine or the hangings. But, ignorance is bliss and I am sure somewhere in the world it still happens.

Mikztsu
05-28-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm grateful that I live in current time. It might sometimes seem ( mainly because of movies etc) that life was brilliant and exciting, let's say 500 years ago, but I'm pretty sure it sucked compared to present. :)

Leeza
05-29-2004, 02:07 AM
I agree with Mik. We live in good times and I love my work. The past might be romantic and stuff, but I prefer our present day technology and present day medicine, etc....even from what it was 20 years ago.

Peegee
05-29-2004, 02:10 AM
I don't see why it's so bad living in, say, the year 1800, or any time period pre-industrial.

Yamaneko
05-29-2004, 02:13 AM
Because you die at age forty.

I don't mind living right now. Find stuff to do.

Kiroku
05-29-2004, 02:19 AM
I like it in the present time we are now, but there are a few tidbits that were nicer back in the midievil age. now a days, there are too many people who are in fear of there own *%$# shadow that all rights and freedoms are deminished under the smoldering boot of society. That and I like swords and it would be nice to be able to walk around carrying a midevil weapon or two without someone bothering me or running away screaming AHHHHHHHH A KILLER!

Masami
05-29-2004, 03:19 AM
I want to live in the future because in the future there will be robots. And I'll probably rule the world.

Casey
05-29-2004, 03:32 AM
I want to live in the future because in the future there will be robots. And I'll probably rule the world.

Ditto.

The past doesnt sound quite fun, you could die because of lack of immunization. Your life expectancy isnt as high as it is today, and what is out technologically today wouldnt be there. So I would rather live in the present, but it would be nice to live in the future. An life expectancy in the future would be in the 500s. Itd be cool to live at 500 years old and like be on space ships or whatever and fight in huge gears! :D Like xenosaga~

Peegee
05-29-2004, 03:59 AM
Because you die at age forty.

If I'm immortal, then death doesn't matter. If I'm mortal does it really matter when I die?

So...come up with a better reason kthx

Jebus
05-29-2004, 04:04 AM
I like living in the current time because it gives me something to build against in my world, which I tend to live in more often.

fire_of_avalon
05-29-2004, 05:58 AM
*points to eternalshiva*

But I understand your want of adventure and excitement. Just look around you more for fun things to do instead of having overblown visions of bravery, love, saving the world etc etc etc.

Del Murder
05-29-2004, 06:23 AM
The past is the past. Though it would be cool to live in the middle ages or greek times or even the 1940s, I like our information age. We don't have knights but we can play them on TV!

Mikztsu
05-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Not to forget that people in the middle ages smelled awful. Even women. They very rarely washed themselves and none of you would be an exception.

Ki Ki
05-30-2004, 05:24 AM
Hm, you all have good points. BUT...i still say the past would be fun.
'Ahem' Mik, how do you know that????

Shlup
05-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Life is hard either way, what with all these "convenient" technologies making us have to just cram more things into one day, but at least medicine is better. The past seems far more painful.

Meat Puppet
05-30-2004, 05:31 AM
Neither. The present is too scary with all it's "nuclear warfare" and "microwave dinners", but the past is just as dull. Er, scary.

Shoyku
05-30-2004, 05:33 AM
Present, please. I'd rather not have to deal with past hardships again, and quite frankly, my life is just great the way it is.

Ki Ki
05-30-2004, 05:37 AM
I guess the pple who like their life now would rather not change anything.
*commits suicide*

Mikztsu
05-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Hm, you all have good points. BUT...i still say the past would be fun.
'Ahem' Mik, how do you know that????

I thought it was all-round education. :) Ask any history teacher and they tell you the same.

Breine
05-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Aah, the nostalgia :)