PDA

View Full Version : Help me.

Maxico
05-28-2004, 05:04 PM
I have recently made to step up from a pokey 56k modem (that has decided for no good reason to peak at 46.6k to a 1meg DSL line (or whatever one it is, the one with the splitter that goes into your phone socket) The problem is that my computer is on one side of the house and the socket is on the other and I am wondering if there is any kind of special wire thats needed for the analouge signal.

Erdrick Holmes
05-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Just get a router and some extra cable. That works.

Shoeberto
05-28-2004, 05:30 PM
If you don't mind spending the money, the process is a bit easier if you bought a good 802.11b router (around $50) and a PCI or USB wifi card ($30 or more). That way, you just put the router right next to wherever the modem is and you have access to it from anywhere within the house (giving that the signal holds, of course, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.()

It's easier than stringing ethernet cable all the way.

Baloki
05-29-2004, 12:12 PM
If you don't mind spending the money, the process is a bit easier if you bought a good 802.11b router (around $50) and a PCI or USB wifi card ($30 or more). That way, you just put the router right next to wherever the modem is and you have access to it from anywhere within the house (giving that the signal holds, of course, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.()

It's easier than stringing ethernet cable all the way.

Wifi is so annoying and can be a hastle is the local WarChalkers get wind of your connection. So why not string a phone extenstion to your room and then not only can you have the net in your room but also a phone :D Remember copper phone line else your connection may tale off a bit :D