PDA

View Full Version : Meteor and Holy

Starcrest
05-29-2004, 03:56 AM
I was reading a therad, and got an idea. This thread said that Meteor and Holy were spells in other FF games, and not this one. Well, I was wondering, why would that be? If Meteor in FFVII was like this huge ass thing, wouldn't it huge ass in the other games to? As for Holy, how would that change from huge green liguid to w/e it is now? And, isn't the comet spell similar to Meteor?

Maxico
05-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Its a game. They cant be bothered to think of new names for spells every. single. time. they make a new game so they reuse them, thus the spells become a kind of trademark.

Starcrest
05-29-2004, 02:46 PM
true

Rainecloud
05-29-2004, 03:06 PM
If they changed the names of all the spells, would you be happy?

I wouldn't, perhaps due to nostalgia.

Starcrest
05-29-2004, 03:16 PM
'eh, good point i guess

DJZen
05-30-2004, 02:24 AM
Meteo is always kind of a huge deal in FF games, it's just not always huge enough to wipe out a planet. Holy is pretty much the same way, since it's the only white spell that can really do damage, and it's useful against lots of nasty enemies. As far as green liquid.... Well.... It's sort of unclear that that's the effect of Holy. All we really know is that it's the lifestream attempting to stop Meteo (it explains that the planet does this in the game).

Starcrest
05-30-2004, 02:35 AM
i no, and gp i guess

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-30-2004, 02:35 AM
It's not unusual for an FF game to glorify certain spells by making them important to the storyline. This was also done with Ultima in FFII, Meteor in FFIV, Degeon in FFV, and so on.

Also, Holy is white with light blue. The green "liquid" is Lifestream.

Starcrest
05-30-2004, 02:57 AM
ahh, yes. 4got. ben a while since i beat that game, like, a few months ago. but, it came back. but i didn't see ne of the blue/white

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-30-2004, 03:03 AM
After defeating Jenova SYNTHESIS, the party descends to find Holy held back by Sephiroth's will. The light shining out of the red rock formation is blue/white. During the ending sequence, the explosion of magic that erupts out of the crater is also blue/white.

Starcrest
05-30-2004, 03:04 AM
ohhh,

DJZen
05-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Kawaii Ryukishi, it sometimes scares me how much you know about these games... You must be an angel! :love:

Cloudane
05-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Yup, not unusual at all.

As another example, summons in most FF games are panzies really. They barely leave a scratch on the enemy sometimes! Yet in others... at least FFIX, they tear up cities and deal out mass death.

Rainecloud
05-31-2004, 08:28 AM
They barely leave a scratch on the enemy sometimes! Yet in others... at least FFIX, they tear up cities and deal out mass death.

Sssh! It's just a storyline. *wink wink*

DJZen
05-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Yup, not unusual at all.

As another example, summons in most FF games are panzies really. They barely leave a scratch on the enemy sometimes! Yet in others... at least FFIX, they tear up cities and deal out mass death.

MOST games? REALLY? Well that's odd...

aeris2001x2
05-31-2004, 08:28 PM
i would be nothing without my summons in ffIV right now, ffVI teach your u most of your abilities, FFVII has knights of round, you cant junction without summons in ffVIII. i think its ironic that in the game they destroy citys (ffIX) they r all but useless in battle.

ok if meteor was the same as ffVII in every game it would be stuiped cause if u summon it u would destroy the planet!

Cloudane
06-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Umm.... ok, most that I've played :p

Other than FF9, the summons I saw in games were only for battles to kick some monster butt. In comparison, in FF9 they were huge and tore cities apart. The nearest I've seen otherwise is Anima tearing [stuff] up in FFX at one point. Not sure I'm getting the point across though :p

Edit by Kishi: Watch your language.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-02-2004, 04:25 PM
There are a few ultimate spells and summons which are sometimes glorified beyond the normal scope. Holy and Meteor/Meteo, for example, Ultima, it just depends. Bahamut is usually one of the better summons, as is Odin. It just depends upon the game. Some push them even farther.

Peegee
06-02-2004, 05:40 PM
You're thinking of Comet, aren't you? Meteor > Comet

SomethingBig
06-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Watch your potty mouth, Cloudane.

The GFs in FFVIII were darn useful, if you boosted correctly. The Aeons in FFX were virtually useless and they all were just godawful in 9.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-03-2004, 04:58 PM
The Aeons in FFX were virtually useless

WHAT!? How can you say that!?

Anima and the Magus Sisters were extremely useful.

Yojimbo has Zanamoto

Ifrit, Shiva and Ixion can heal themselves with their elemental magic and can usually keep fighting for a really long time.

Bahamut is pretty strong too.

Valefore can... uh... take charged-up hits by bosses for you so that you don't die.

SomethingBig
06-03-2004, 08:48 PM
The only time I ever found a use for the Aeons was during the battle with Jecht. With the kinds of abilities I had(hastega, which = victory, Mighty Guard, Trio of 9999, Flare, etc.), the only thing Aeons were ever good for was a wall to block attacks. Yeah, Shiva, Ifrit, and Ixion could heal themselves, but that's a wasted turn right there. The second you heal the Aeons, the enemies attack your Aeon for 75-85% of the amount you healed your Aeon.

Cloudane
06-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Whoops, just slipped out

That said, anyone who's played FF7 has heard Cid utter that exact word at least once, so it's silly to have to censor it really.

DJZen
06-06-2004, 03:10 AM
Your personal feelings on the subject aren't the issue...

On a side note related to the issue, is it just me or does it seem odd that Sephiroth actually uses Meteo on you multiple times during the battle?

Starcrest
06-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Yeah it does seem odd...hmm, how would the planets regenerate within like....a few turns? Scary...makes ya wonder if your more experianced in years

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-06-2004, 07:55 AM
The first time he used it I thought it was going to wipe me out. The second time he used it I was thankful that I had kept my HP up. The third time he used it I cooked myself dinner. The fourth time he used it I ate said dinner.

Starcrest
06-06-2004, 02:09 PM
...ok....umm, yeah

DJZen
06-07-2004, 01:54 AM
*falls over laughing*

Yeah, I wonder why Cloud and crew don't just step to the side in the 5 or so minutes it takes that thing to hit. I meant that I'd think that meteor would wipe out the planet. Yet he uses it on you many many times if you give him the chance. It has enough power to completely ERADICATE several small planets (just look what it does to the one that looks like Jupiter), but you can survive its impact. Several times over. Maybe the planet is just really really weak. Maybe it's a smoker or something.

Starcrest
06-07-2004, 02:16 AM
lmao makes sense

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
stop joking, clearly super nova is not lierally a super nova hitting the sun and dissolving the sun...metaphor...but your being sarcastic right?

ffX aeons useless? i seem to recall Anima being the strongest summon ever, with potential damage just below 2 million or sumthin.

eestlinc
06-07-2004, 10:30 AM
summons/eidolons in ff9 are very useful in battle if you know what you are doing

what is Degeon in ff5?

I always liked that the Break materia spells did damage in ff7. in the other games those spells just do status effect and are pretty crappy.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Degeon is X-Zone in FFV. Unlike in other games, when it's cast on someone, a little messages pops up explaining that he's been sent to the Cleft of Dimensions. In addition, it could therefore be construed that Exdeath is casting an extreme form of Degeon when he sends a good portion of the world to the Cleft.