PDA

View Full Version : Bwahaha! Irkutsk is Mine!

Cz
05-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Risk is wonderful, isn't it?

Polaris
05-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Yes it is! :D

I love dangerous! :love:

:shame:

White Raven
05-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Yes it is, but could you expand on the subject please?

Cz
05-31-2004, 07:11 PM
Ah. Perhaps the title doesn't make it as clear as I thought.

I was actually referring to the board game. If you've never played it, the object is to conquer territories using your 'army' of plastic figures, through a mix of strategy and luck (since battles are determined by the roll of the dice, but it is ultimately the positioning of your troops that leads to victory). In my opinion, it is the greatest board game ever created.

Sorry about any confusion.

Logan
05-31-2004, 07:12 PM
I've never heard of it.

Kirobaito
05-31-2004, 08:06 PM
OMG! I played this game Wednesday. And for the first time, I won.

I took Australia and Southeast Asia first, and then slowly built up my troops expanding westward from there. Thanks to a couple of good rolls and card draws, I was able to wipe out 2 of the 4 players in one turn, and took their cards. I eventually had about 90 armies to conquer my last opponent with, and he had about 40. So, he surrendered.

Rase
05-31-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it's a fun game. Really long though...

Peegee
05-31-2004, 08:37 PM
I've played it, and I've tried different strategies: ignore everything and focus on AUS, try to take over the best countries, etc etc..always lost.

:(

RSL
05-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Risk is awesome. I have a computer version of it.. I should install it and play it again.

Anyway, general gaming is where this goes.

ZeZipster
05-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Apparently, Risk is the only variation of war where decapitating your enemy is not acceptable. I say this while facing a legion of headless green people.

escobert
05-31-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah I play it with my dad all the time but, he makes up rules and cheats.

DocFrance
05-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Everyone knows that the key to victory in Risk is Australia.

Cz
05-31-2004, 10:40 PM
I thought General Gaing was for Computer Games only. Guess I was wrong.

Anyway, games of Risk can be very long, but I've never known a game to last more than 10 hours, and you can always take breaks in between, or play over a number of days.

While most people say that the two Australian territories are the most useful, Indonesia tops those by far. If you own the rest of Australasia, and manage to gain control of Indonesia, you can focus all of your troops there (as from the North, Indonesia can only by accessed by Siam), have a single unit in the other three territories, and essentially be invincible. From your stronghold, you can then launch incursions into Asia, or, via Kamchatka, North America.

There's nothing wrong with making up 'House Rules', as long as all players agree to them before play begins. For example, when my family and I play, we ignore the mission-based rule set of the U.K. edition, and just play for total world domination.

By the way, has anybody played Risk 2210 A.D? I've never come across a set, and I was wondering what the differences were.

White Raven
06-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Newman: "I'm not beaten yet. I still have armies in the Ukraine."

Kramer: "Ha ha, the Ukraine. Do you know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine."

Ukrainian: "I come from Ukraine. You not say Ukraine weak."

Kramer: "Yeah, well we're playing a game here, pal."

Ukrainian: "Ukraine is game to you?! Howbout I take your little board and smash it!!"

Best Risk reference ever.

ZeZipster
06-01-2004, 06:02 PM
By the way, has anybody played Risk 2210 A.D? I've never come across a set, and I was wondering what the differences were.

It's basically normal risk with a few changes, water bases and stuff. LoTR Risk is fun, it takes like 4-years to complete a game but it is fun. The board is huge...

Rainecloud
06-01-2004, 06:18 PM
I've never actually played it. I probably never will.

Cz
06-01-2004, 09:48 PM
You'll play it. I'll cut your hand off and roll the dice with it if I have to.
You're going to play Risk, got it?

On a lighter note, thanks for the info on Risk 2210 A.D. ZeZipster. But LotR Risk isn't that big. It seems to have a similar number of territories, from the pictures I've seen.