PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 2

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2004, 10:23 PM
I just bought this game for my XBox ad literally fell in love with it, heres' why.

Number A- It's got some of the best 3D fighting physics I had ever seen, not realisitic at all but hella fun to play.

2. It's got the weapon mastery mode which sorta plays kinda like an RPG in a sence, you can unlock stuff such as weapons to use in the other modes.

And best of all. The XBox version has Spawn, the bestest superhero ever. 'Nuff said.

Anywho, discuss this greadtness of fighting games.

SomethingBig
05-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Meh. I have SC 2 for the PS2 and I'm not much of a big fan of it. I prefer fast-paced fighting games, like GGX and Marvel vs. Capcom, but GGX is the best example of that. I can see how people would thing it's amazing, but it just doesn't really cut it for me.

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2004, 10:29 PM
SC2 is fast pased, at least when I play it.

SomethingBig
05-31-2004, 10:32 PM
SC's slower than GGX, in my opinion. There's just something about GGX that makes it a speedy game.

BatChao
05-31-2004, 10:37 PM
Yesyesyes. Soul Calibur 2 is an amazing game. It's got so much depth to the engine that it takes months upon months to learn all the intricate details of a SINGLE fighter. The flow of battle in the game is so free, quick, and fluid, that it trancends the clunky mechanics of most 3D fighters and stands on it's own. 8WR may be the greatest thing to happen to the fighting genre, and the game is pretty well balanced (a few issues with Cervantes, Mitsurugi, and Yunsung still remain from the arcade version, though) as well. Guard impacting is intuitive, yet not totally simple. Both types have different properties to them so you need to know when to use which one, but you can easily 'bait' the GI against a GI-happy opponent with canceled moves, fakeouts, etc, etc. I could go on and on about this game as I love it so much. I used to play at my school arcade every day, but have since stopped going as much since most of the people stopped as well. My skills have indeed rusted a lot over time due to lack of practice (I recently faced a guy I used to play and he just wailed on me, and we used to be more even). I wish they would make the game online compatible, so players could find matches against others around the world. That would be so sweet. Then I could see if the people who post on the internet going 'I'm t3h b3st0rz at SCII!!!!!' are really telling the truth. But I digress... SCII is one of the greatest games of all time (not just fighting game). Train hard and one day maybe we can face each other on the battlefield! I use Talim, who do you (and the rest of the people posting) use?

You can find a review I wrote as well as some videos of me messing around here : http://www.chaosent.com/games/sc2.htm maybe they'll help you out, maybe not. I have some pretty good videos of me playing against my roommate's Taki that I haven't put online, but maybe I will later. If I do, I'll post em here too.

Erdrick Holmes
05-31-2004, 10:38 PM
GGX's music is fast paced, as well as it's animations, which makes it as well a speedy game.

Side topic: Whic version of this wonderful game do you like better?

I like the Gamecube version the best because Link is a total demon on that game.

SomethingBig
05-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I agree with the GGX thing.

I liked the GC verson more because of Link. I also prefer the GC's controller over the PS2's.

escobert
05-31-2004, 10:47 PM
It's better for Game cube sense you get to use Link. It's my favorite fighting game ever.

BatChao
05-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, I'm a Nintendo fan, so I agree that Link in the game is completely badass. It also happens that, after playing with all three exclusive characters, Link seems the most balanced. Emphasis on most. Heihachi and Spawn are both beyond cheesy and lame, but Link actually sort of feels like he could fit in the game with a bit more fine tuning. I'll admit that his throws are whack and definitely cheap, as are some of his moves, but whatever. Those exclusives are for entertainment purposes only.

Barring the exclusive characters, I'm going with a tie with X-box and GCN (perhaps light edge to X-box since it supports 1080 [I think it's 1080...] progressive scan), and PS2 coming in last since the graphics are a bit muddier and there is noticeable slowdown in the game.

Cz
05-31-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm too awful at one-on-one beat 'em-ups to fully appreciate Soul Calibur II, but it is the finest 3D example of the genre that I have come across.

Kiroku
06-01-2004, 01:16 AM
Soulcaliber 2 Rocks, the 3d fighting affects are top quality and it's controls are quite clean and smooth. plus the added characters are cool, all of them, but the gamecube version is the smoothest and the controller works well with it, that and link is the best ever.

Felldoh
06-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I love SCII, it's my favorite fighting game. I'm best with Cassandra, Xianghua, Nightmare, and Talim.

Erdrick Holmes
06-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Raphiel and Spawn > all

escobert
06-01-2004, 01:39 AM
Link > all I've only lost one battle with link ever.

Rase
06-01-2004, 02:25 AM
Yes, SCII is a great game. I like the GCN version the best, because of Link and the controller set-up. Only problem I have is that some characters, like Raphiel and Spawn, can feel cheap sometimes. But every fighting game has this problem, so it's no biggie.

Calliope
06-01-2004, 02:52 AM
It's a fun game, I played it a lot at Joe's house.

Unfortunately it is filled with stupid characters that should die and weren't in Soulblade.

Lord Chainsaw
06-01-2004, 04:37 AM
I'll tell you what I love about Soul Calibur.

There's no damn 700 hit combos that take away 9/10ths of your life bar when used against you.

I swear these ridiculous combos are the reason I stopped playing 2D fighters after Mortal Kombat III came out. I haven't seen much of that in 3D fighters like Soul Calibur, and I'm glad.

The matches are great and tactical. It's not about you making one mistake and having the other guy pull off a 30 hit combo taking you down from full to nothing (I'm looking at you... yes YOU Killer Instinct) it's more like a game of chess.

You screw up and make one bad move, that's okay. You just put your guard up, keep attacking and wait for your opponent to make a mistake. The really good fights are almost like a game of chess, really. I like that.

My favorite character to use is Seung Mina. She was my favorite in the original one... Soul Edge I think it was called. I just started using her in this new one out of sheer respect. Then she grew on me and I got even better with her. I wouldn't say I'm that good, but I can hold my own when I have to.

Siwolae
06-05-2004, 05:37 AM
great game but the weapon mastery mode is killin' meh! :(

Mo-Nercy
06-05-2004, 11:25 AM
I like Soul Cnalibur 2 the best of all the Soul series. The characters aren't as evenly matched and it's fun to try and make the most out of those that aren't as good.

Contradicting what I just said, I use Kilik, Nightmare, Raphael, Cassandra, Cervantes and as of last week, Ivy. Sometimes I use Charade as well because I'm decent with everyone but when I get any of the above, I'm deadly.

Link, Spawn and Heihachi are novelty characters, they are made to be better than everyone else. I've found them all too overpowered and too easy to use which is why everyone finds it so easy to win battles with them. It's fun to use them but I prefer sticking to the default character set simply because my PS2 SC2 serves only as trainig for my performance on Conquest mode on the machines.

BatChao
06-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Link, Spawn and Heihachi are novelty characters, they are made to be better than everyone else. I've found them all too overpowered and too easy to use which is why everyone finds it so easy to win battles with them. It's fun to use them but I prefer sticking to the default character set simply because my PS2 SC2 serves only as trainig for my performance on Conquest mode on the machines.

Heehee. You have to be careful who you say that around. Many 'hardcore' SCplayers say that people who pour their quarters into conquest mode are 'noobs'. As for me, I find conquest a nice distraction when there aren't any good players around, but nothing beats the solid competition of a good fight versus another great human player. But again, I think that conquest is pretty fun. I stopped playing it a while back after I reached my goal of getting to player of legend status at my local arcade... It woulda been great if there was an online conquest mode for the console versions. You could train your AI and whatnot and fight other people's. It woulda been great.