PDA

View Full Version : helping new people

EternalBahamut
06-01-2004, 01:29 AM
When I first started playing I was dismayed at how hard it was to make money. I was exceptionally lucky to have the support of some good players and continue to look for their support. What I have been trying to do is at least once a week single out an obvious new person, take them back in town and shop for their first set of armor and weapon. It only costs a little over 1000 for everything and of course I could definately use the money for my new set of armor but I know how happy I have made a couple of people, maybe 10 or so so far. All that I ask is that when they get their next set of armor that they give what I bought them to someone new also. What I was wondering is does anyone else do that, do you think it is better not to help them out with equipment just advice?

Flying Mullet
06-01-2004, 03:40 PM
I agree with you that helping people new to the game is cool and a good thing to do, but I'd rather help them learn how to help themselves than help them out by giving htem stuff.

I tend to shy away from giving anything to new people, beyond advice. My main reasons are that when they get free stuff they tend to miss learning something in the process. Whether it be actually learning something in game, such as equipment/magic skills because they didn't have to fight as much to save up for their gear, or learning something as a player, such as how the quest and mission systems work, and how they earn money, items and fame that way.

I'mjust afraid that they might miss out on some valuable learning experiences and in turn harm anybody they party with because they never learned how to function properly in the game.

Now maybe I'm just being too picky or over-reactionary, but that's how I feel about it anyway.

eternalshiva
06-01-2004, 03:56 PM
^.^

He gives away the lvl 1 armor stuff to noobs he gets from fighting also so he doesn't lose all that much and EB is just an all-around nice guy ^^ One of my friends gave me 6,000 gil right off the bat to help me out when I first logged on so I would have some decent spells and armor before I went out and got myself slaughtered a couple of times xD

There are some noobs out there who actually SELL all their armor and weapon BEFORE they go out fighting and I'm always like *o.O' ehh... Where's your sword and omg you have no armor ... *CURE II* /em kicks noob's corps, points and laughs * *nods*

Citizen Bleys
06-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Oh, I wouldn't laugh, I'd spot them a k or two. Money comes much easier at higher levels, and you can lend a big helping hand to someone at a relatively low cost to yourself.

Another good one (for whm) is to spam Protect or Shell on anybody with a question mark. It helps build up your enh skill, so you're benefitting yourself as much as them, even though it costs you MP.

Mikztsu
06-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I agree with that. Now I expect you all to give me gold and stuff when I get my FFXI within two days. :)

Citizen Bleys
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
If you're on the same server as any of us :)

I can certainly spare a couple of k, especially since I expect to get my theif to level 15 tonight.

rinoa_heart
06-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Well I think its a good thing to help out new players. I really enjoy helping them out by giving them a little starting money. But I just don't give them money I also tell them how to make money, get fame, ect. I mean I've played the game for a long time so I know alot of secrets to money making, which is nice to pass down to new players
[QUOTE]

Lionx
06-08-2004, 09:24 AM
There are dumb people everywhere, once you give them money they will keep asking for more and wont listen to gil making ideas. For those that beg for money they are pretty much going to do that for the rest of their lives. If you want to help them, give them tips how to make gil, if they dont respond, they are just dumbasses that just want the gil and nothing else. Do NOT give them gil, that will just make things worst for everyone when they come back the next day doing the same thing, give them advice, else if they dont talk back or listen, just blist em.

Jalbrean
06-08-2004, 12:19 PM
I've pretty much stopped handing out stuff to people. My stint as a mentor showed me that new players have no desire to learn how to go out and make the money themselves, but would rather have it handed to them by those of us that spend the hours out there working for it. ;\

I have no qualms about helping out my linkshell members, but it pretty much stops there.

Lionx
06-08-2004, 08:37 PM
I've pretty much stopped handing out stuff to people. My stint as a mentor showed me that new players have no desire to learn how to go out and make the money themselves, but would rather have it handed to them by those of us that spend the hours out there working for it. ;\

I have no qualms about helping out my linkshell members, but it pretty much stops there.

Exactly, there are good and bad newbs, but most seem to stem from the beggers only guild -.-