PDA

View Full Version : "Hey, new guy."

-N-
06-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Did anyone else find it really awkward at times how no one says Tidus's name? Obviously it's because you can name him, but would you relinquish the right to name Tidus for a chance to have his name said? I mean, Yuna's in love with the guy and doesn't even say his name? Jecht doesn't say his son's name? It definitely weirded me out enough to the point that I would give up the right to name Tidus (not like I'd name him after me like I usually do main characters, because he isn't badass enough a la Cecil/Cloud :D) to let the conversation flow normally. Am I the only one here?

NashX
06-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Everyone has this problem with the limited dialogue. If you look, you'll probably find another thread complaining about the same thing. And believe me, it pisses everyone off. And one person says his name, though he doesn't have a voice when he says it, it just appears along the bottom of the screen. Letty, or one of the other Besaid Aurochs, says something like, "Tidus, you can't go this way. Cap'n Wakka's waiting for you," when the team are helping to fix Kilika, near the beginning of the game. But the rest is just "Hey, you," or "him," or, maybe the most annoying ones, "the star of the Abes," and, "Jecht's blood." It makes me want to hurt something.

FallenSilence
06-03-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree totally, but one reason the game's designers couldn't do this is because, as you can rename Tidus, it wouldn't be able to be carried over into FF X-2 because you can't rename Tidus in the sequel game. This (and the limited dialogue, as MashX said) is why Tidus is only referred to as "him" in both games. It makes things less complicated and also makes the designer's lives easier than if they had to figure out some other way to do it. But yeah, it pisses me off, too.

metCloud
06-03-2004, 01:57 PM
It didnt bother me but I always thought it would have been funny if the designers used bonzie buddy's voice thing for it. WooHoo Spyware on my PS2!

-N-
06-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah, they should have everyone else read in random syllables and then piece it together to make the guy's name. That wouldn't be awkward or weird at all.

Al-Ber-T, I love you.

Oh yeah, and one of the kids in "Zanarkand" in the very beginning says his name too. And the blitzball commentary too. Obviously, its irrelevant dialogue.

Iceglow
06-03-2004, 06:19 PM
I actually stopped in the opening walk to the ebon dome to listen to all the comentary theres around 3 or 4 minutes of the stuff but once it's over it doesn't even loop the game goes deathly silent apart from the sfx of Tidus running out of the screen. Also yeah it wierded me out but how much could you put in to one dvd disc in the way of talking and gameplay. however the random sylables thing would probably have sounded really wierd almost like stephen hawking possibly.

Cloudane
06-03-2004, 08:28 PM
It would've sounded even more ridiculous synthasising the name :p It'd be like one of those answering machines where it says 'you have... TWO!!... messages' or something.

They should've just not let you rename him. Simple. It's just as bad in X-2 when he's constantly being called "????" or "You-Know-Who" :p

Big D
06-04-2004, 12:22 AM
His name's used frequently in the text-only idalogue, as has been said; the Beaid Aurochs are particularly noticeable in this regard.

However, I agree it would've been better if he'd simply been given a name, then had that name used consistently. There's very little point naming a character if that name's almost never going to come up.

Ouch!
06-04-2004, 12:30 AM
It didn't bother me so much, in fact on my first play through I never really even noticed. Though I do agree that they should have just given him the name and force you to stick with it.

The first time it really bothered me when I was playin' Kingdom Hearts. If you talk to Wakka on the second day on the island, he says, "Me an' Tidus are going to go to the secret place," or something like that. He pronounced it tee-dus, which creeped me out.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-04-2004, 01:32 AM
The way the pronounced the name in Kingdom Hearts hurt so much...

Anyways, I do agree that they should have given him a name, but I found the whole thing rather amusing, it didn't really bother me.

I liked how they say Anima and Yojimbo's name, but you can rename them later on.

Big D
06-04-2004, 03:04 AM
The first time it really bothered me when I was playin' Kingdom Hearts. If you talk to Wakka on the second day on the island, he says, "Me an' Tidus are going to go to the secret place," or something like that. He pronounced it tee-dus, which creeped me out.What really creeps me out is the idea of Wakka saying, "Me an' Tidus are going to go to the secret place". Too many bad mental images there.

According to reliable sources, though, "tee-dus" is the correct pronunciation of his name; it's been that way since before the release of FFX. "Tide-us", I believe, was just more comfortable for Western readers because of its familiar sound and because it suggests a link to natural phenomena, kind of like Cloud and Squall.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Plus Tee-dus just sounds stupid...

SeeDRankLou
06-04-2004, 08:17 PM
According to reliable sources, though, "tee-dus" is the correct pronunciation of his name; it's been that way since before the release of FFX. "Tide-us", I believe, was just more comfortable for Western readers because of its familiar sound and because it suggests a link to natural phenomena, kind of like Cloud and Squall.

They kind of change pronunciations from Japenese to English versions of names sometimes. The same can be said for Paine in FFX-2. Reliable sources tell me that her name is pronounced "Pine" in Japanese and "Pain" in the US. And I swear that I remember a US Square rep talking about FFX and calling Tidus "Tide-us." (that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I'm just saying)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Tidus is actually pronounced "tee-da" in Japanese, because it's all Okinawan and weird like that. So, calling him "tee-dus" was being very generous.

Mei
06-04-2004, 10:07 PM
It sounds better when you say "Tide- us", just like "chock- oh- bo" over "choke- oh- bo".

But I too find it annoying. Who doesn't?

Cloudane
06-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Teedus as in 'tedious' was also how James Arnold Taylor (his voice actor) pronounced it in the interview disc that came with the European release. So I'd say it's official.

Shame about choke-obo, eh... it's livable with, but definitely takes some getting used to.

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 10:55 AM
no way i,m glad its not there cause it sounds better as tie-dus, but they would pronounce it like in kingdom hearts. ffX mis-pronouncing Chocobos was enough...

-N-
06-07-2004, 08:35 PM
And the girl humming/singing the chocobo theme in the engine room? Talk about adding insult to injury...