PDA

View Full Version : Best way to begin guide for Mik and other new people

Mikztsu
06-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi people. 8-)

Okay, I'll have FFXI tomorrow ( if my import won't arrive tomorrow, it'll be monday then). I've been pondering what race and class I'll give to my character, HOW to build your character by the time you get more exp? Like what class are elves best at? I'd probably make a warrior or something like that, but I don't wanna be a part of class which is the huge majority in FFXI, but I've never really fancied of being a mage either, so I'll probably wind up with a thief. I'd also like to know, does it matter much which town you begin with. Things like those.

Any good tips for beginner? I'm sure you can think of something and anything is appreciated. :-)

Flying Mullet
06-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Heh, there's lots of advice when starting your game, but half of it depends upon your preferences really. As you have a bit of time before your game gets here, I suggest that you study up here: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/

They have a lot of good info and ideas to help you get educated on what goes on in the game and what will be expected of your character as you get into parties, etc...

Plus there's gobs of information about the game in general at that site.

Mikztsu
06-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Wow, there's lots of info on that site. *_* Thanks Mullet.

ZeZipster
06-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Whatever you do, know that it can be redone. The only thing that is set in stone is your race, that you have to recreate your character to change. For example, if you start off as a Whitemage and decide you don't like having to party, you can go to your Mog House and change to a Monk.

Citizen Bleys
06-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Elvaan also make really good Paladins (advanced class, starting with WAR would do you worlds of good), White Mages, and (hopefully) bards.

Galka make the best warriors, Mithra make the best theives, and Humes are the well-rounded bleeders who can do pretty much anything well.

Ouch!
06-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Don't go with unheard of job or race combinations, it'll cause you to suffer later on when people won't want to have you in their groups. Such example would be a galka black or white mage, or a black mage/warrior. Since the game is heavily party based, you'll want to be as effective in combat as possible, so stick to combinations that work.

Garland
06-04-2004, 04:27 AM
While race/job combos won't make or break your success partying, and any deficits can be overcome with skill, a bad job combination most certainly will kill your chance of finding a party. For better or worse, people despise creativity in job combinations. That's because all story aside, this is a level grinder game. People only see numbers, and you'll want to be competitive. There are so many people looking for groups in Jeuno, it's sad.

Rostum
06-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Whatever you do, know that it can be redone. The only thing that is set in stone is your race, that you have to recreate your character to change. For example, if you start off as a Whitemage and decide you don't like having to party, you can go to your Mog House and change to a Monk.

Either way you have to PT with Monk just the same as WHM.

Whatever you do, don't drop your beastmen seals! They are important. I accidently dropped 88 the other week, it sucks! Was an accident though.

Mikztsu
06-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks people, that's very helpull and important to know. :)

Grr, my FFXI didn't arrive yet, so I'll have to wait untill next week. Oh well, I can wait.

EDIT: Nevermind, it arrived! :D Now to go buy new graphic card and get the game.

Citizen Bleys
06-04-2004, 03:06 PM
One thing I can tell you:

If you decide to go with a Hume or a Galka, start in Bastok to get the rare/exclusive Bastokan Ring

If you decide to go Elvaan, start in San d'Oria to get the rare/exclusive San d'Orian Ring

If you decide to go with a Tarutaru or a Mithra, start in Windurst to get the rare/exclusive Windurstian Ring.

I'm at level 20, and I still use my San d'Orian Ring.

(Also, don't go Hume or Galka. Bastok sucks. Windurst > San d'Oria > The deepest bowels of Hell > Toronto > Calgary > Bastok)

Ichy
06-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Bastok.... dirty hole in the side of a mountain....

Citizen Bleys
06-04-2004, 06:08 PM
And the worst part is, you NEED to live there for a while, for missions (Rank 3 mission for sure, not certain about others) and to build fame, since Bastok fame contributes to Jeuno fame, and Jeuno is awesome.

ZeZipster
06-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Bastok has Cid.

*wins*

Taru-Waru
06-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Bastok has Cid.

*wins*
Bastok has smog, oppressed Galka, rampantaru poverty, and the depressing, pathetic-wetic Gustaberg.

*negates your win*

ZeZipster
06-06-2004, 05:51 PM
:cry:

*loses*

Flying Mullet
06-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Bastok has smog, oppressed Galka, rampantaru poverty, and the depressing, pathetic-wetic Gustaberg.

*negates your win*
Talks like a Taru outside of FFXI.

*always loses*

Mikztsu
06-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Damnit, I thought I could use world pass ANY TIME, but it seems I can't. I'll be stuck at Asura server for the rest of my life then. :(

Leveling up my thief is hell'ish on early levels (soon level 10), but I've heard it'll get better once I'm level 15.

Taru-Waru
06-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Talks like a Taru outside of FFXI.

*always loses*
You're justaru jealous.

Ichy
06-07-2004, 02:31 PM
You can use a WP anytime, you just need to start a new character on the server you go to. It's not bad at all, though. Getting from 1 to 10 is the absolute fastest part of the entire leveling process. Takes some people less than 2 hours, even.

Flying Mullet
06-07-2004, 02:43 PM
You're justaru jealous.
No.