PDA

View Full Version : Java Chat

MecaKane
06-04-2004, 02:21 AM
K, so whenever anyone comes into #eoff on the java program on the front site, they use one of the wackey sounds that are included with the thing, that do absolutly nothing to people who aren't on the Java, except for maybe taking up three lines to say:
-
SOUND #eoff:yahoo
-
It shows up in the #eoff chat window for me, but my client is kinda weird, so maybe it shows up in the server window for most people, which would still be kinda annoying for them. >_> Anyway, that's not the real problem. As my pain matters to no one.

It's an unregistered version of the java program, so whenever the user types anything,
"Unregistered copy
Please notify the webmaster"
or something like that comes up, it takes up two lines on their screen, which is small and stuff. So that's annoying for <i>them</i> And then they ask about it, and no one can fit it. No one but YOU. So fix it, but change to a different java chat that doesn't have sounds or smilies that only other people with it can see, cause there's almost never more than one person on java in there. And it has text colors on it, too. Which is pretty useless cause #eoff has +S on, so no one else can see the colors. And if, by chance, +S isn't on and someone comes in and has every one of their lines purple, an op will probably kick them or put +S on. :greenie:

So yah! If not for me, then for the poor bastards who get two extra lines tagged onto every one they type. And stuff.

Loony BoB
06-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Yeah, we really need a new jIRC client.

crono_logical
06-04-2004, 09:04 AM
The old one was better :p Why was it replaced? :p

o_O
06-04-2004, 11:50 AM
I have a better idea. Have http://www.eyesonff.com/chat redirect to http://www.mirc.com :p

Loony BoB
06-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Not sure why the old one was replaced. Anyway:

http://www.pjirc.com - Free, demo included. The only java IRC client I could find on download.com that's 100% free. Unne might be pleased that it is indeed open source material. Doubt he'll care though because he's one of those "I've never gone to chat and never will" people. :(

Listed features:
- Highlight support
- ASL handling
- Graphical bitmap used for smiley’s
- Nickname auto completion
- Nick, channel and URL catcher
- Sound support
- Multilingual support
- Esthetical options such as background image, per-channel color configuration, and so on…
- UTF-8 encoding support
- Support for external control via javascript
- “On connect” command list
- Time stamping
- Fast, light and reliable
- Free and open source

Whee. Good enough for me. I'm sure we can disable stuff we don't need, anyway. The only thing that really mattered was it not requiring registration or anything dumb like that, since it's free and all - now, someone check out the demo because I'm at work and can't.

crono_logical
06-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Looks good, that client :p

Flying Mullet
06-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Listed features:
- ASL handling

Oh boy, just what the world needed.

crono_logical
06-04-2004, 04:38 PM
http://www.eyesonff.com/chat/index.shtml

Let's see if that's any better :p The old one's in the old and crap folder :p

Cid
06-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Doesn't connect for me.

"Unable to connect : null"

crono_logical
06-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Works for me in both Mozilla and IE. I'll try and find a cleaner PC and test from there too, since I use Sun's Java VM and not MS's.

EDIT: Seems MS tell you to use Sun's VM now on their own pages :p

Works in firefox on gentoo for me too. If others could test it, it'd be useful too :p Make sure you force a refresh on the page too to make sure you're not using an old cached copy. Probably more important for people that are on ISPs that proxy content for you, like AOL.

Baloki
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I got nothing :(

Just still some unregestered thing, cache cleared on both the proxy bit thing and my comp :(

crono_logical
06-05-2004, 06:59 PM
That's because I put the old crap one back on a day or 2 ago, because IE seems to not like the new one for some people for some reason :p As typically as ever, IE is causing more problems than it solves :p I'll try and sort out the new one to work with IE when I get hold of a PC with crap configuration that causes it to break - my PC and laptop shouldn't be the only ones where it works in IE :p