PDA

View Full Version : microsoft patents ones, zeros+

eestlinc
06-05-2004, 06:24 AM
this is almost as bad, and it's not a joke (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99995072)

Erdrick Holmes
06-05-2004, 06:26 AM
Maybe I should take the patent on ASL sometime. If they can patent double-clicking then maybe I can do it.

HOOTERS
06-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Ooh, I'm going to patent patents. *wins*

(and banana coke) :smash:

Shlup
06-05-2004, 06:32 AM
I am going to patent three of my freckles. Anyone who is caught with a similar pattern of three freckles anywhere on their body owes me some money.

HOOTERS
06-05-2004, 06:36 AM
I'm going to patent giving money to ShlupQuack for having the same similar pattern of three freckles anywhere on their body so whenever anyone who is caught with a similar pattern of three freckles anywhere on their body owes ShlupQuack some money they owe me some money.

Shlup
06-05-2004, 06:46 AM
I am going to patent banning HOOTERS and then do it over and over.

Yamaneko
06-05-2004, 06:53 AM
All hail Microsoft!

Meat Puppet
06-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Just to get into the patent of things, I'm going to patent Hailing Microsoft.

Then kill them for being assholes.
Or pretend to.

Rainecloud
06-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Several activists who oppose software patents say that Microsoft's patent is not a "sensible use" of the patenting system because the idea of the long, short and double clicks is neither novel or non-obvious.

If the patent was in place for an advanced and innovative program/package, then I'd understand. But...double clicking? I can't believe that Microsoft actually managed to patent double clicking. Who on earth made the judgment call on that one?

"It is almost beyond parody that Microsoft has been able to do this," says Ian Brown of the Foundation for Information Policy Research in London, UK.

And I agree with him. However, it's not almost beyond parody. It is beyond parody.

I believe that Microsoft are damaging their reputation by pulling stunts like this on a regular basis. First of all, they sue the owner of website: mikerowsoft.com. Then, they sue other smaller companies for "little bits of things" that don't even affect them in any way. Then, they patent double clicking? All these things are painting a horrible picture of the corporation. Instead of being viewed by families as a nice, friendly, helpful company, they're being seen as an evil, money grabbing bunch of whiners.

The Captain
06-05-2004, 08:00 AM
This reminds me of Donald Trump copyrighting the "You're fired!" phrase a few months ago. What that and this Microsoft issue shows is that you can do anything to make a few more dollars, and when you begin to lose money, even a little bit, you'll employ lots of methods to get it back.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
06-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Bloody hell. I would understand if they patented it when they actually had the idea and all, but to do it so many years later is just pathetic. And I'm not dissing Microsoft, I'm dissing the people who give out patents, because they're the ones who have made the decision. Geez. How many PDA's etc already use this function? What do they do now? It's like patenting a certain type of kick in soccer, or something.

Rainecloud
06-05-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm going to buy Apple Macintosh computers from now on, just out of spite.

Mei
06-05-2004, 11:20 AM
What stupidity. Whatever was left of Microsoft's reputation has just been torn asunder by that article. Patenting double clicking... great. What next? Patenting typing on a keyboard? Patenting the internet? I wouldn't be that surprised if they tried to do either thing, and even less if they succeeded...

Peegee
06-05-2004, 11:41 AM
"OMFGASLWTFSARS" is patent pending :aimmad:

Baloki
06-05-2004, 01:11 PM
What stupidity. Whatever was left of Microsoft's reputation has just been torn asunder by that article. Patenting double clicking... great. What next? Patenting typing on a keyboard? Patenting the internet? I wouldn't be that surprised if they tried to do either thing, and even less if they succeeded...

Actually, BT did try and patient hyperlinks but failed, and only because the paitent office thought it would be too hard to inforce.

Denmark
06-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Bloody hell. I would understand if they patented it when they actually had the idea and all, but to do it so many years later is just pathetic. And I'm not dissing Microsoft, I'm dissing the people who give out patents, because they're the ones who have made the decision. Geez. How many PDA's etc already use this function? What do they do now? It's like patenting a certain type of kick in soccer, or something.

*patents the bicycle kick and corner kick*

yes, now I get money from each football game. YES, FOOTBALL!

unless no one does a bicycle kick or takes a corner. :(

DMKA
06-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Thats just insane...and rediculous...and overboard.

Microsoft, I love you. :love: :love: :love:

The Man
06-05-2004, 09:29 PM
As I posted in my LJ:

Whatever respect I had for that company has now gone completely out the window. Wasn't double-clicking employed by Apple before it was used in Windows, and in the Xerox operating system everyone ripped off before Apple used it? The Patent Office is just as ridiculous as Microsoft for letting something like this go through.

What a terrible idea. The Onion weren't too far off the mark when they made that "Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (http://www.electromate.com/news/?c=wackynews&wackynews_id=10008)" article.

Erdrick Holmes
06-05-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm going to patent sitting on my can and eating pizza rolls all day while waiting for the phone to ring for a job. If Microsoft cna patent Binary and double clicking then I can patent that.

Psychotic
06-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Let's see them patent THIS! *middle finger*

MICROSOFT GOT FINGERED!

The Man
06-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Let's see them patent THIS! *middle finger*

MICROSOFT GOT FINGERED!
Well done. :D

Lindy
06-05-2004, 10:28 PM
*triple-clicks*

Problem solved.

Oh, and you can't use it by the way, I patented it.

Erdrick Holmes
06-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Let's all go put patents on unbeleivable rediculous things.

I call the patent on bad typing.

TasteyPies
06-05-2004, 10:34 PM
I patent fart jokes and standing on your head

Cz
06-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Why not click, then press enter?

*Patents*

Lindy
06-05-2004, 10:40 PM
My god it works.

Keyboard shortcuts? Tab and Enter?