PDA

View Full Version : England 6-1 Iceland

Doc Sark
06-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Well done to England for what was a great performance, play like that against the French and we might stand a chance!

eestlinc
06-06-2004, 10:24 AM
I don't follow euro soccer but I'm guessing England was a heavy favorite over Iceland. I suspect the French, despite their history, will not roll over so easily.

Mikztsu
06-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Exhibition game against Iceland isn't really something that shows where you stand. :)

I'm a fan of English football, I love premiership; been following it since little kid and I'm die hard Fulham fan, but I just don't like England's national team anymore as I just don't generally like players in it.

In my opinion, England's defence is merely average and their achilles' heel. It'll be tough against the likes of France...

Anything can happen in championship contests, as we remember how USA, Japan, S-Korea and turkey played in World Championsips. Euro championships are tougher though, as the average quality of teams is far better.

Heath
06-06-2004, 11:25 AM
England's national team is, at best, a disappointment. We go on and on and <i>on</i> about the players we have, and they don't even play as good as they should. I know I couldn't do any better, but considering the wages and hype around them, they could do better.

I wouldn't be surprised if England only got to the quarter finals in Euro 2004. Our best chance at a European competition was Euro '96, ah... those were the days.

Cz
06-06-2004, 11:32 AM
It was certainly a very good performance, though a lot of it can be attributed to Iceland's terrible defensive play. Certainly encouraging, after the Japan game.

Mei
06-06-2004, 12:34 PM
It will have filled the team with confidence, which is a good thing, and IF we beat France I think we can go all the way. Then again I'm an English optomist. :p

Doc Sark
06-06-2004, 01:15 PM
In all fairness it's actually very very very difficult to win a major football tournament. In 12 Euro Championships there have been 8 different winners, which shows how open the Championship is. Czech Republic in 96 and Denmark in 92 epitomised the openness of the tournament. The fact is you won't play any bad teams in the finals of a European Championship, and I will be happy if England get to the quarter finals frankly.

We go on and on and on about the players we have, and they don't even play as good as they should. I know I couldn't do any better, but considering the wages and hype around them, they could do better.

The average wage of the Italians and the Spanish is higher than the English. When was the last time they won anything? I think winning 6-1 and showing such a fine display against the Icelandic, who are no pushover but also are no France, is great, a week before the big kick off. It doesn't show where we stand no, except much higher than Iceland, but it does give the players confidence going in to a very very big game against the French. Defence our Achilles Heel? Maybe. I don't think the back four going into Euro 2004 have been outstanding, like they were at the World Cup, but hopefully they will focus more for the tournament. Conceding soft goals is a bit of worry.

Denmark
06-06-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm really not supporting England. :D

I'll follow Euro 2004 as best I can, even though I'm American. And I won't see any games. :|

Rainecloud
06-07-2004, 07:36 AM
England = Inconsistency.

However, I do wish them well.

Doc Sark
06-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Only 4 defeats under Sven Goran Eriksson. Only one of those a competetive match.

England = Consistent results. Inconsistent performances.

That's more accurate.

gokufusionss1
06-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Doc sark, i have to say though who have we played under erikson Germany and Brazil are the only two decent teams otherwise we've been squared off against leisctisnorgngoenbfdofdnbodp(???)

Burtsplurt
06-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Is anybody else surrounded by cars with England flags sticking out of every corner? It's like half the country have decided to become visiting dignitaries or British ambassadors.

I didn't see the game, but 6-1 sounds good (just so long as you a coughing fit when naming the opposition)!

gokufusionss1
06-07-2004, 03:48 PM
yeah the flags are begining to annoy me because i despise people who only become patriotic when the footballs on.

Doc Sark
06-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Doc sark, i have to say though who have we played under erikson Germany and Brazil are the only two decent teams otherwise we've been squared off against leisctisnorgngoenbfdofdnbodp(???)

That's not strictly true though is it really. Erikssons first game in charge was against the Spanish. We won 3-0, big Ugo Ehiogu got his first and probably last England goal, since then we have taken on Mexico, Holland (twice), Germany, Italy, Cameroon, Croatia, Argentina, Sweden (thrice), Nigeria, Denmark, Brazil, Portugal (twice), Turkey (twice) and in fairness Japan are a very good side too. Ranked 25 in the world. I was wrong about the number of defeats as well it's 6.

Yeah we have taken on a number of small footballing nations, mainly in qualifiers but there hasn't been any defeats to them. A couple of shaky draws, but still we topped our group for Euro 2004 and World Cup 2002, so it's all good.

gokufusionss1
06-07-2004, 04:43 PM
and lets remember in the end it's not who wins or loses that matters, it's how drunk you get. :tongue:

Doc Sark
06-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Amen to that. If you want some quality football drinking games you should check out FHM this month. I guarantee these drinking games are likely to make you forget who's playing!!!! Plus Louise is in it......drools.