PDA

View Full Version : Animated .GIFs

Big D
06-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Two questions on these handy, lively image files.

(1) How can they be re-sized? I've tried using MS Office Picture Manager and Paint, but that just leads to a re-sized, non-animated version of the first frame only.

(2) Is there any easy way to make one using the common programs?

Any assistance would be handy.:catsmile:

Baloki
06-06-2004, 12:33 PM
I know animation shop (the one that comes with paint shop pro) does animated gifs really well, and there was some way to make animated bitmaps, but thats in the windows helpfile somewhere and I'm not digging it out :D

crono_logical
06-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Crappy software does tend to only read the first frame of an animated GIF and throw the rest away :p I use Macromedia Fireworks for my animated GIFs. Microsoft GIF Animator (freeware, google for it) isn't bad for simple editing too.

Baloki
06-06-2004, 04:13 PM
If all of these sugestions fail uninstall windows :D

Dr Unne
06-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Gimp can handle animated gifs, though it's not very good at it. But it is a free program, if you happen not to like stealing / cracking commercial ones.

Baloki
06-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Gimp can handle animated gifs, though it's not very good at it. But it is a free program, if you happen not to like stealing / cracking commercial ones.

Or maybe buying them....

Rainecloud
06-06-2004, 06:46 PM
I'd advise you to purchase "Animation Shop".

As Baloki has said, it's really good for dealing with Gif images.

Baloki
06-06-2004, 06:50 PM
I think it comes free with Paint Shop Pro :D

Rainecloud
06-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, it's hard to tell when you haven't paid for it.

Big D
06-07-2004, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the info... unfortunately, I'm stuck with using a university computer that's not mine and simply cannot have anything installed onto it at all.
I do have access to Windows Movie Maker and the usual QuickTime viewers, but that's all besides the other generic photo programs...

Peegee
06-07-2004, 06:00 AM
What exactly is it do you want to be made into a gif?

BatChao
06-07-2004, 06:02 AM
As far as I know, you cannot edit images with those two, Big D... sorry. As stated, Animation Shop is really really good and you can get a free trial version off the net. Also, there are various free animated gif programs you can use. Try searching at download.com for some. If worst comes to worst, you can use one of those free programs to break an animation down to each frame, resize each frame, then combine them again. I remember doing that before I had Animation Shop. Good luck! :D

crono_logical
06-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Doesn't need installing, just unzip and run :p

Big D
06-08-2004, 12:18 AM
What exactly is it do you want to be made into a gif?I'm just curious about how to do it, should the need arise. Also, I'm fond of those avatars that switch between two different pictures, that sort of thing.

Thanks for the info, y'all.