PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried to get Excalibur II?

Cz
06-06-2004, 05:35 PM
As much as I love this game, I can't say that I've ever considered taking on the Challenge. The reward isn't worth it, in my opinion.

But I was wondering if anybody else was crazy enough to take up the challenge. Did you succeed?

SpiritWolf
06-06-2004, 06:34 PM
No I haven't and I can barley finish disk 2 in 12 hours

Draupnir2005
06-06-2004, 06:54 PM
I managed it... But I used a gameshark. It's impossible to level your characters up enough to get past disc 2 in that short space of time!

Del Murder
06-06-2004, 07:19 PM
I meant to try. I'll get around to it someday. I think the secret is minimizing random encounters and maximizing save files.

Kirobaito
06-06-2004, 08:08 PM
I could only do it on a PS1. I did it last summer, trying several times. I had to skip the movies and never level up or save. Well, I saved 3 times in that game. Very hard. And not even worth the reward.

Breine
06-06-2004, 09:02 PM
I may be stupid asking this, but what is the reward?

Ultima Shadow
06-06-2004, 09:18 PM
I may be stupid asking this, but what is the reward?
The reward is Steiners most powerfull weapon: Excalibur II.
However, you don't need to kill Lich in 12 hours. I have Excalibur II but I haven't killed Lich in 12 hours. I waited in 100 hours and then I killed Lich. It was long ago i got it, but I remember that I didn't kill Lich in 12 hours. I killed him when the timer was betwene 100 and 112 hours.
Excalibur II has 108 in atack power and is holy elemental.

aeris2001x2
06-07-2004, 10:58 AM
The reward is Steiners most powerfull weapon: Excalibur II.
However, you don't need to kill Lich in 12 hours. I have Excalibur II but I haven't killed Lich in 12 hours. I waited in 100 hours and then I killed Lich. It was long ago i got it, but I remember that I didn't kill Lich in 12 hours. I killed him when the timer was betwene 100 and 112 hours.
Excalibur II has 108 in atack power and is holy elemental.

curses...why is that works 4 u but not 4 me!!!!lol :D

Ultima Shadow
06-07-2004, 03:16 PM
curses...why is that works 4 u but not 4 me!!!!lol :D
Did you >>>Kill Lich<<< after 100 hours? I did, and i got it. If you did, then it's very strange you don't can get it. Arghhh... it was so long ago... i can't remember... but i have the old gamesave were i have it. Only 40 hours more to go on my second play...

Kirobaito
06-07-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure what y'all are talking about. You get Excalibur II by getting to the Memoria Entrance in under 12 hours.

Ultima Shadow
06-07-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure what y'all are talking about. You get Excalibur II by getting to the Memoria Entrance in under 12 hours.
No, it's in the same place you figth Lich. In Memoria... but not at the entrance.

TheKolkster
06-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Wait, you guys are confusing me. Every guide I've said you can only get the Excalibur II in under 12 hours. But you guys are saying it's possible over a 100 hours? Hmph...

I think the reward is worth it, but I'll never try it. It takes all the fun out of the game. Getting the Excailbur II is one step closer to mastering the game (Collecting all the weapons and mastering all the abilities.)

Cz
06-08-2004, 05:29 PM
The problem is, getting Excalibur II makes a 100% game save impossible, as there are a number of items that you would have to sacrifice in order to achieve the task, which in turn, teach you important abilities.

TheKolkster
06-08-2004, 05:57 PM
I didn't even know this game kept track of how much you completed in terms of percentage. Are you sure it does? And why would you need to sacrafice items to get it?

Cz
06-08-2004, 07:59 PM
It doesn't track your percentage progress, but a 100% completion is easy to define. You have to complete every sidequest, own every item, and then complete the main quest itself.

However, it's practically impossible to get every item, complete every sidequest etc. and get Excalibur II, since some weapons and Key Items cannot be found on later discs, preventing you from owning every piece of equipment in the game, which would be required for 100% game completion. Take the 'Queen Athlete' item, for example. This would take at least 15 minutes of game time to obtain, and cannot be found beyond disc 3. The Mayor's Key requires you to return to Dali during Disc 3's card tournament, setting you at least 10 minutes further off course. Some items (such as the Obelisk) can only be bought in Dagguero, which is a non-story location, and sets you ten minutes off your main objective. This may not seem like much, but the 12 hour deadline is tough enough as it is. These distractions only make it worse.

aeris2001x2
06-08-2004, 08:47 PM
No, it's in the same place you figth Lich. In Memoria... but not at the entrance.

i promise u i killed lich and its not there :( grrr i hate my copy of ffIX.

Ultima Shadow
06-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Geez..... I start to wonder if I actualy DID get to Memoria and killed Lich in under 12 hours while I was sleeping... then I DREAMED that I got it after 100 hours and...... How can I have it if I haven't beat Lich in 12 hours if it's impossible to get it if you haven't beat Lich in 12 hours!?????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

aeris2001x2
06-09-2004, 10:01 AM
damn if one of us lived in usa we could just say pal/ntsc differences is the reason and let that be an end to it. oh well it aint that big a deal, i,m not that an obessive ff fan boy anymore(seriously years ago this would have brought about ba huge depression :cry: ) lol

Ultima Shadow
06-09-2004, 10:13 AM
i,m not that an obessive ff fan boy anymore
TURN BACK,TURN BACK INTO THE LIGTH! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mo-Nercy
06-10-2004, 09:07 AM
I am almost 100% sure that you can only get Excalibur II by getting to Lich in 12 hours. I don't think waiting till the game clock goes over 100 hours and resets works. But I haven't tried it the second way. I did try to do it the honest way but it went over 12 hours somewhere in the Nova Dragon battle. :(

TheKolkster
06-10-2004, 05:11 PM
I am almost 100% sure that you can only get Excalibur II by getting to Lich in 12 hours. I don't think waiting till the game clock goes over 100 hours and resets works.

I think it will. Maybe when the clock breaks 100, it thinks the time has reset. Maybe a glitch?

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Well, SOMEHOW I got it. And I'm pretty sure I didn't beat FFIX in 12 hours without notice it.

SeeDRankLou
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
The problem is, getting Excalibur II makes a 100% game save impossible, as there are a number of items that you would have to sacrifice in order to achieve the task, which in turn, teach you important abilities.

Not true, it is doable. I did it the hard way too, actually getting past Lich in under 12 hours and not waiting for the clock to go round. I couldn't have done it without my turbo controller. You can just hold down the X button and zoom through dialogue. You can skip through movies. And there are many many other things you can do to micromanage your time. It's very doable. I did it, got all the items the can't be gotten after disc 3 as well, and had 18 minutes to spare.

Ultima Shadow
06-11-2004, 09:35 AM
However, I know a much more impossible (yet possible) task in FFIX that I have decided to complete before this summer is over. But first I shall solve this Excalibur II problem.

Shayo
06-15-2004, 02:52 AM
so wait, u have to beat lich in under twelve/past 100 hours? on which time u fight him? the first time or second?

SeeDRankLou
06-15-2004, 06:54 AM
You have to beat Lich in Memoria, close to the end of the game. And I've heard from reliable sources that the 100+ hours trick doesn't work. I'm not denying that these people haven't done it, it was just a reliable source.

Ultima Shadow
06-17-2004, 06:59 PM
Maybe you can't get it after 100 hours... but then, one thing remains unsolved... HOW DID I GET IT!? Because I just can't remind myself beating it in 12 hours...

SeeDRankLou
06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm not denying that these people haven't done it

Ultima Shadow
06-20-2004, 05:18 PM
AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! My second play: reached Memoria, killed Lich after 100 hours and didn't get the Excalibur II. And still I have it on my first play save. So... it seems that you can't get it this way but still I have it on my first play save... strange.