PDA

View Full Version : leveling

P8
06-07-2004, 05:56 PM
i got a few questions about leveling in FF-X. First, whats the difference between the 2 modes you can chose from in the beginning? I started with advanced since i consider myself as quite a good FF player.
second; is it me or is the whole sphere-grid a real chaos thing. Ive read a few things about HP-break and things like that. but i cant find it anywhere on the spheregrid.
thanks for helping me out here

Cloudane
06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
It's chaos because you chose Advanced mode :)

The Beginner one (which I still use on 2nd play despite playing other FFs many times) steers you through a fairly straightforward path for each character, making it fairly painless. (Or paine-less. Tee hee)

P8
06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
hmm, what is everyone else using then? advanced or beginner?

Xander
06-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Firstly, you said you chose advanced because you consider yourself a good FF player, but that doesn't really apply with the Sphere grid, since Beginner or Advanced basically just refers to the grid itself, and not the gameplay in general.

If you haven't used the Sphere Grid before, I'd say it's best to choose beginner, because like Cloudane said it keeps your character on a straight path, and it means you can get the abilities that they have by default - Rikku being a thief, Lulu being a black mage and so on.

I haven't actually looked at the Expert grid but I think the first grid is fine to use anyway, since you can have your character's learn the other abilities in the end anyway if you get enough sphere levels.

So yeah, I don't know much about the Expert one, but I used the Beginner one, and liked it as it was.

As for Break HP and Break Damage (which allows HP and Damage to go above 9999) you don't get those via the sphere grid. You have to get them from ultimate weapons, or accessories, or customise them onto accessories.

Lord Xehanort
06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Why is Xandy so good at everything? It's unfair!

As far as I know, there is only one Sphere Grid. This Expert Grid is news to me.

Break HP Limit is an Auto-Ability you can customize onto your armor. I don't exactly know what items you need, but I know it isn't easy, nor is it worth the effort. The only Break (name) Limit that's good is Damage.

Big D
06-08-2004, 12:50 AM
On your first play through FFX, you should definitely use the beginner's grid. It's logical, it's systematic, it lets you know what the system is about. It's got a lot more nodes, so your characters' stats can get higher than the advanced grid allows. The system makes quite a bit of sense, once you get to know it.

On your second play, though, the advanced sphere grid is kinda fun. It allows for more rapid customisation of characters, and a 'sharing' of abilities.

If you haven't gone very far through the game, I'd recommend quitting and restarting with the beginner's grid.As far as I know, there is only one Sphere Grid. This Expert Grid is news to me.
Another PAL-only bonus, I think.
Ive read a few things about HP-break and things like that. but i cant find it anywhere on the spheregrid.Many abilties, like Ansem said, are available only on weapons. Also, if you keep reading things like that, you're gonna spoil a lot of the game's surprises...

-N-
06-08-2004, 07:23 AM
Many abilties, like Ansem said, are available only on weapons. Also, if you keep reading things like that, you're gonna spoil a lot of the game's surprises...

Like what? Learning Provoke costs 4 MP? That Zombie Attack can turn its target into a zombie? Astounding!

:D