PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts

Erdrick Holmes
06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
You ever had martial arts training?

Wehn I was 11 I took up Taebongsoodo, a style from Korea. It's a pretty well rounded style with straightforward attacks and spinning kicks with some stick fighting in the mix. You start off learning straight attaks such as forfist punches, jabs, and frontkicks, you then go onto rounded, spinning attacks, attacks in many directions, and some weaponry skills.

Peegee
06-07-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm sorry Joel, but I cannot imagine you doing any sort of martial arts. <3

I did Karate for several years. I'm out of practice now :D

BatChao
06-07-2004, 11:28 PM
I used to do Jiujitsu when I was a lot younger... I got to blue belt, but then stopped... I can't remember why I stopped.

Mikztsu
06-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Only martial things I've been taught, is how to use: assault rifle, machine gun, pistol, light-bazooka and several mines. ;-)

Shlup
06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Only martial things I've been taught, is how to use: assault rifle, machine gun, pistol, light-bazooka and several mines. ;-)*high five*

Except I don't know how to use a bazooka or mines, just guns. o.O

SomethingBig
06-07-2004, 11:40 PM
I did Tae-Kwon-Do when I was in second grade. I got my green belt, then quit. I started again 4 years ago and got up to yellow belt, then quit. I would really like to learn how to fight like a shoalin monk.

Jebus
06-07-2004, 11:56 PM
I took Tae-Kwon-Do for a little while, then I quit. Then I took karate and lasted a bit longer. I made it to 3rd degree brown belt. Which in the style I took, Kenpo, was just two levels below black.

m4tt
06-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I took Karate in middle school for self defense. I got up to a Purple Belt with two stripes before I stopped going.

Leeza
06-08-2004, 12:29 AM
I have a green belt in Wado Kai Karate.

Lehteb
06-08-2004, 06:39 AM
i have a black belt in ITF Taekwon Do...

but it's been a few years since i was active in it... :choc:

Rainecloud
06-08-2004, 07:19 AM
An eight year old boy taught me some Karate when I was ten.

I became a black belt in twenty minutes. 'Twas fun.

Masami
06-08-2004, 08:03 AM
I got to be a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do. And I was in karate for a little bit when I was a kid. I'd really like to try some other kinds of martial arts, especially something that incorporates weapons.

Snowman
06-08-2004, 09:54 AM
it's not oriental martial arts....but i learnt to quater staff and weild a broadsword for real when i was a child. my parents ran a medieval re-inactment group, my farther mades real full tanged sharp edged steel swords (i only put all those details in because people ALWAYS think im talking about fencing) while my mother led the group and taught. i could beat adults of any age or size and now today i halp teach an adult education course in broadsword....but personnally, i havent found my equal yet, that may sound cool but it means theres either people gunning for ya, or people dont offer you out for a fight because they dont want to feel like they will already loose....that gets pretty lonely.

on a side note it's interesting that all the studants we get from martial arts are useually the worst. it's because they are tought moves....not real fighting, and you can see that even when they spar. I then self taught a number of oriental farming instraments....sorry weapons lol - nunchukcs and sais etc and i discoverd that most of what is tought in martial arts for weapons use is useless, it's just for show, kata taken to the extreame.

i belive that you should be taught how to fight for real, at full speed, but with control over yourself and your weapons, so that you can land your blow with almost no force or damage. that way when you encounter a need for such skills in real life, your not left in the dirt sobbing "but i was a 12th dan with 8 black belts"

Bahamut2000X
06-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Well I got up to black belt over the course of 3 summers at this one TaeKwonDo dojo, but then I quit. Now I'm at a place getting taught by a senior grand master who puts Jackie Chan to shame. Quite fun, been doing that for like 3 months now, and I'm a yellow belt, and going for my orange next month.

on a side note it's interesting that all the studants we get from martial arts are useually the worst.

They don't know how to fight? Must by WTA guys. All they know is how to look flashy when they "fight" and basically lose thier balance as they try to kill you by jumping in the air and stayiong up there becoming a highly hittable target for as long as possible. I don't like those guys cause they just screw up the entire martial arts image.

War Angel
06-08-2004, 12:23 PM
I should be able to use just about any firearm you give me, with some efficiency, to a lesser or greater extent. As for melee - not much. I could probably use a melee weapon (knife, sword, axe, sledgehammer..) more or less effectively, and maybe a few kicks, punches and head-locks. I mostly rely on my ferocity and strength to fight... on the rare cases in which I do.

P8
06-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Ive gotten blue belt with Judo a few years ago
but im kickboxing for half a year now. plus i got quite a few experiences with real battle; a friend of mine and i usually fought just for fun, and idont mean fighting-throw-the-other-on-the-ground, but real punches in face and knees etc.. That quite nice to do, when your all messed up, in pain, and to KNOW youre not the only one. Its only fun to do that with someone with the same strength. But right now hes gone for a year, hes in Japan and learn Kendo there. Will be fun when hes back: kendo vs kickboxing :D

Snowman
06-09-2004, 12:45 PM
i always say "anyone can fight and kill with a weapon or a french loaf, but to weild a weapon is what your learning". it's surpriseing how shocked people are when you say that you parry and block with swords lol.

the mix of martial arts studants we get are rfom all over....im not saying they are all bad....but lol

Meat Puppet
06-09-2004, 01:21 PM
I go with some others who put Tae-Kwon-Do. I thought I was real good until I came to be partenerendeered up with an ACTUAL LIVE KOREAN. Crap, those guys can move, fast.

Oh yeah then I got bored and quit and decided to join the neighbourhood hoons.

TasteyPies
06-09-2004, 01:30 PM
I used to do Jiujitsu when I was a lot younger... I got to blue belt, but then stopped... I can't remember why I stopped.

I took Karate and stopped at a blue belt, hmmm *Its a small world after all*

Kirobaito
06-09-2004, 06:32 PM
I used to take Karate. I got up to a purple belt before stopping.

Breine
06-09-2004, 06:55 PM
No, I haven't taken any classes, but I can do some Aikido.

P8
06-09-2004, 07:25 PM
since when is there a purple belt in karate? its just the same with judo right? white-yellow-orange-green-blue-brown-black?

Masami
06-09-2004, 07:31 PM
since when is there a purple belt in karate? its just the same with judo right? white-yellow-orange-green-blue-brown-black?

There's a purple belt in Tae Kwon Do, if that means anything... I wish I had gotten to a purple belt, such a cool color.

Bahamut2000X
06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
The level of all belts is different between each form, and even amoung the sub forms of each type of martial arts.

As for the TaeKwonDo I take currently, it's white, yellow, orange, blue, green, purple, brown, red, dark blue, stripe, black belt for thier order. But every form is different, some forms even have thier own belts (like stripe for my form and dark blue, those 2 generally aren't in other forms.)

Kirobaito
06-09-2004, 07:52 PM
In my karate class it went white, yellow, gold, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, red, half-red-half-black, black.

TasteyPies
06-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Then both your Sensei were stoned because my class was
white-yellow-orange-blue-green-brown-black,
first blue then green

P8
06-09-2004, 08:08 PM
yeah but i was talking specifically about karate.

by the way, no offends to all kinds of martial arts, but the most of them doesnt make you very strong. Its more like finding peace with your inner self and its intimitating for people who know your doing it. Like: oeeeeeeee, i wouldnt want to fight him, hes doing karate for 5 years now!
but usually, you can only use karate, tae-kwon-do or judo or something, when the other is using it too. However, the basics can be done usually. Like tackling, simple punches, and when youre quite good, maybe kicking.
But all that flashy spinning kicking etc. cant ever be done in a real fight.

but like i said before, it can be really good to find peace with yourself. i think thats the reason why i choose for martial arts too

Then both your Sensei were stoned because my class was
white-yellow-orange-blue-green-brown-black,
first blue then green

Im quite sure it was the as with Judo. And its green-blue there. maybe its because of country difference? i live in the netherlands, hmm, come to think of it, maybe we WERE stoned :D , nah, i didnt do it back then.

Don't double post ~Gau

Jebus
06-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Specifically about karate eh? Well I took karate and it went: white, orange, purple, blue, green, brown, stripe, strip, black.

They also had other restrictions like you had to be 13 for brown, and either 18 or REALLY good to be black. One of my teachers was a 4th degree black and he was only like 15/16.

Leeza
06-10-2004, 07:46 AM
My Karate class had the belts as White, Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Brown, Red, Black. The Red was like a Black for anyone who was under 16.

Snowman
06-10-2004, 01:38 PM
i am amazed by how many of you quit after a little go or a few months.....do any of you know how much this pi***s off teachers who have to keep these classes running, the teachers who spend time with you teaching you what to do only for you to up and leave quickly when that teacher could have been spending the time better with the studants who needed it and WANTED to learn. let alone those studants who rely on you to come and keep the clases running and rely on there being other people to learn against....and your effectivly robbing them of time and chances.
We have had many people who turn up boasting and bragging with all their assureances and lie's....they seek all the attention, they shout about how they want to learn and you have to spend more time with them to get them up to speed just so they can take part, that takes a whole lesson where NOONE else whos already joined teh class gets any contact with the tutor, only for them to make a fuss and dissapear teh following week or however long after.
As a tutor this is very tireing and frustrating, being aware of the need to keep the numbers up so the course will continue and so teh dedacated studants have someone to spar with....but we take you in, are kind to you, build you up, GIVE you our skills and time and life, and then you run away and we start again only for the same thing to happen again and again.
Im not having a go at anyone......just asking people to think of those they have put out when they decide to quit.

We dont bother with belts or badges etc, it's just a tool of regognition and actually doesnt count for anything considering many of the people ive met who achived teh highst levels were terrible. we teach three forms of sword, if you want to learn any other weapon just ask, but the proof is in the pudding. if you can go out and win, or if your loosing badly all the time to everyone, you know weather your doing well or not. There isnt points in the fights, if youve killed your opponant he's dead, as simple as that, even though you pulled your blow you still did it at full speed and landed it and it's pretty obvious that your opponants head will have been taken off if you had teh intention of making it real and killing them.

ive done it for 22 years, but that isnt an example of my ability, that can only sum up my experiance, my ability is displayed in those ive tought and how well i fight. also while we only teach our own form of swordfighting, it can be taken against ANY other form of combat or weapon, if someone from somewhere else wants to use a samurai sword or even do judo against one of our studants...they can as long as they ask the person involved lol

age limits...these are really funny when it comes to martial arts. as a child i could and did defeat grown opponants cleanly and fairly, they loved teh fact a little kid had beaten them in some perverse form of pride lol.....but in marital arts, little kids cannot do the same thing, they arent strong enough or tall enough etc, the idea of them doing it is...well odd to me

Leeza
06-10-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure how your class works Snowman, but in my class there were students at all levels at all times and we all started off with the kata's, etc. from the beginning in class. When each student finished their level, they started training more at their level while the rest of the class went on, etc. We had new students joining in at all times of the year and students dropping out at all times of the year for various reasons. Our Sensai (sp) had no problems with it. Of course, it's great to have someone come in and go from white to black, but sometimes it's also just not possible.

Snowman
06-11-2004, 03:05 PM
If people had a good reason to leave, and botherd to tell you, then we wouldnt have any problem with it, we each walk our own paths and many studants over teh years have parted company and remined on good terms. That said i was reffering to teh MANY, and you only seem to appriciate this when your an instructor, the many who simply dissapear after going on and on every week about how dedicated they are and what they want out of it, the next week comes and they dont appear, your left wiating a few minutes, even worse if somethings goes wrong, week after week passes and you just have to say "oh well", only to pass them in the street and they try to pretend they didnt see you OR they then go around bad mouthing you and you have no idea why or what it's about.

it effects teh studants because you carnt plan ahead for certain excersises. for instance we train our studants to fight multiple opponants, not simply two or three, thats normal, but 8 to 15 at once. and you get everything ready and then four people turn up. two weeks later your class is back up to 15 and few people care that they missed teh classes and didnt wanr anyone. In those situations we would normally switch to teaching those who turned up to fight blind, and they get more one on one time....but never the less it holds people back. You spend alot of effort as a tutor thinking for others and building them up, getting rid of their fears and inabilitys, allowing them to blossom like a flower and then bang, they vanish without a word or a wisper.

We have studants at many levels....well not so much levels as experiance. third years and second years who have learnt teh three swords and are trying new weapons out, but the thruth of combat is that kata's dont teach you much, they carnt teach you anything about combat or actually fighting, sure you can practice your moves, but you should have them done and within you in an hour. we can teach you to fight and do all teh blows within an half hour to fifteen minutes, everything else is about practice - experiance with real opponants and getting rid of your own individual problems. Those we have had from martial arts become far to rigid...because they were tought kata thay are a weaker fighter, they carnt grasp how to move and fight for real so you have to spend teh time stripping them down like a dirty engine and rebuild them, all of which takes time.

How a class goes
We welcome you in, useually with you being shocked about how informal teh class is. my mothers who teh actual tutor is will teach you teh blows, parries and blocks, depending on teh people this can take fifteen minutes or an hour, and then we throw you into real fights and excersises with everyone else.

by the end of the two hour lesson your skilled to handle any nromal person and in fact most people who play with swords (not braggin..thats just what happens).
every week after, unless for one reason or another your really slow, youll just take part in all the battles, fights and excersises that EVERYONE else does, one minute your fighting your pal you came with teh next your taking on a third year or me or three people.

no ones getting hurt or intimidated, your having a laugh and learning how to fight for real. Our course doesnt suit many people in martial arts or sword play because they are convinced you have to hurt each other or have a strict hirearchy and no fun......we teach you thsat if you carnt fight someone, landing all your blows and not hurting your opponant, then your carnt fight and your dangerous. You have to learn to be in control of teh weapon and not teh other way around.

we teach you singl hander, hand and a half and two hander each term. excersises teach you how to fight blin, how to fight many opponants, team fights, two onto one, re-building your senses to avoid other combabtants and obstacles while tlaking and fighting at teh same time etc.

how do you know it's working, because your winning fights or surviving them, youve grown in skill and confidance, the proof is in the pudding.

i know ive gone on, but this is what we are discussing lol