PDA

View Full Version : This game needs more dark, brooding tough guys.

omnislasher
06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
I was just thinking....

Its been so long since a new ff has come out with a really really really dark feel to it. I mean, reguardless of a dark storyline, it would be awesome to have a real badass cast of characters. it seems like with most ff games that are coming out lately, you see the characters, then you have to take an extra step to immerse yourself in the game without thinking the characters are stupid. like a good example is when someone plays ff7, and 8 as many have, and then 9 comes along, and its completely different. I guess all it takes is an open mind, but I would really love to see some other badass characters along the lines of cloud, vincent, squall, auron, ya know. but I guess my point is, ff12 doesnt look like its shaping up to be like that. with a main character who looks like jennifer aniston, lets just hope that maybe ff13 will have some cool characters.

Cloudane
06-08-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I think I know what you're saying.

The UK cult series "Blake's 7" was a good example of the kind of characters I'd like to see. All 'badass' guys (rebellion leaders like Blake, hackers and general nasty guys like Avon, thieves like Vila, smugglers like Jenna etc) banding together to fight a greater evil (the corrupt Terran Federation, basically the government)

That said, I suppose FF7 was very close to that. The beginning anyway. A bunch of terrorists (Avalanche) blowing up reactors and killing lots of people, for the greater good of trying to eradicate Shinra.

Ouch!
06-08-2004, 12:12 AM
I don't think you've read up much into the game. It is going to be dark, it's all about war. Balthear looks like he's going to be the next badass character you're looking for, and the newest character, Basshe seems like a dark character as well.

According to the front site, "The latest character is Basshe, a commoner of Dalmaska who rose in the military ranks to become a general. Basshe is a good leader who is very well-liked in the kingdom, but also he is surrounded by mystery and tragedy. When the King of Dalmaska is murdered, Basshe becomes the prime suspect. His character becomes even more cloudy when he negotiaties a surrender with the forces from the Kingdom of Arcadia."

Sounds like you've got some two characters that you might like there. But really, it's a little early to be making so many generalizations. We don't even know much about the game except for short little snippits.

omnislasher
06-08-2004, 12:17 AM
well, even ff6 with its sprite characters has a dark storyline. I mean like, everything dark, with some cool fn characters.

kikimm
06-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Yeah, i would definitley agree that Basch is "badass". Balthier too-he's already a main reason why I want to play this game-he looks so cool in that E3 trailer.

I understand what you're saying. I would be so excited if they came up with a much darker FF. I like that in anything (books, music, games), and with Square's abilities, I know they could make a dark story so appealing, and awesome-not that their games now aren't, but a different kind of awesome. people have been saying they want something different from the FF's we've been getting now, and this would definitley be different. It would be so fresh.

I'm praying that next FF will have a dark-haired guy as the main character, instead of some blondie-I'm getting kinda sick of that. I thought Caim in Drakengard was totally awesome-THAT"S badass to me.

I hate thinking about this, `cause it makes me sort of mad at Square for not doing this already.

:D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-13-2004, 02:40 AM
I love how Basch was all set up to be a dark, brooding tough guy, and then we got this (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/ffxii/d/vis_basch.jpg). His lacy undershirt is very nice as well.

Although, in favor of his proposed toughness, his facial structure does seem to have been based on that of Biff Tannen.

TheAbominatrix
06-13-2004, 04:54 AM
I love how everyone complains about something that hasnt even come out yet. Why dont you wait and play the game before you decide it isnt good enough?

As has already been said, there's always Basch, and just because Vaan doesnt look like some bad-ass, it doesnt mean he isnt. We'll have to wait and see. And, as usual, if these other games are the pinnacles of coolness, if they just dont get any better than Cloud, Squall, and Auron, then just keep playing those games.

Loony BoB
06-16-2004, 01:08 PM
I love how everyone complains about something that hasnt even come out yet. Why dont you wait and play the game before you decide it isnt good enough?
He's more just saying he wants them to go in a darker direction, and I agree that looking at the two lead characters in the story that this looks like a repeat of FFX's Japanese surfers with bleached hair and "totally outrageous clothes, dude."

There's nothing wrong with complaining about what you see - after all, this is a Final Fantasy forum, and if he can't complain about that stuff here then we'd probably lose members. :p Bring on the complaints!

Oh, and I 100% agree that if this one isn't going to be darker than FFX and the like, then I'm going to be extremely disappointed. FFX had the most annoying lead character I've ever seen in an RPG. I hated having to be the person who "controlled" him, because I had no say in how he acted whatsoever. Bleh. Futuristic hippy.

TasteyPies
06-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Yes Tidus was a disgrace to men. Lets hope this main charicter is more macho....wait nevermind miss Aniston walks like she is in high heels

TheAbominatrix
06-16-2004, 10:29 PM
He's more just saying he wants them to go in a darker direction, and I agree that looking at the two lead characters in the story that this looks like a repeat of FFX's Japanese surfers with bleached hair and "totally outrageous clothes, dude."

But, for all we know, this could be the darkest one yet. I'm not saying it is, but why dont we at least wait and see before we start complaining? The appearance of the characters doesnt mean much, many anime have very pretty characters and very dark storylines. That's just the way the Japanese media works. Hell, it's the way most media works.

I dont mind complaining, once we know what we're complaining about. But getting one's panties in a bunch about something that might happen seems silly.

Edit: Oh, and I do agree that I'd like a darker turn. But I wont complain that it isnt dark until I know it isnt dark. I mean, at a glance, I dont think VI was very dark, was it? If you just looked at the characters I mean. But it turned out to be a pretty gloomy story.

AngryTurnip
06-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Yes Tidus was a disgrace to men. Lets hope this main charicter is more macho....wait nevermind miss Aniston walks like she is in high heels

Us girly guys rule, thank you very much :D

dancingmadK
06-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I too think that FF6 has the darkest feel to it. Just listen to the opening theme and the clothing of the characters.

Ultima Shadow
06-17-2004, 09:25 PM
There need to be another Character who's like Shadow. He's the coldest and darkest of them all. :cool:

kikimm
06-19-2004, 07:56 PM
I know how a lot of people hated Squall because he was such an a$$hole, and "whatever", but that's why I love him so much. It's cool, and I wish that se would do more guys like that-even girls. I thought Lulu was cool.:)

In my opinion, from what I've seen so far, 12 looks fairly dark to me, besides Vaan. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting.

Seifer-SEED!
08-15-2004, 02:09 PM
ur right omnislasher it seems meathed rough characters have left since FF8 with there scars and attitudes e.g BARRET! i was just lookin at a preview of FFXI and im realy startin 2 wonder if i want this game the character look more like a girl! and i thought tidus was bad.

Trumpet Thief
08-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I too think that FF6 has the darkest feel to it. Just listen to the opening theme and the clothing of the characters.

chaos: Agreed...

Rubedo: Definetly the best FF ever made...

TheAbominatrix
08-16-2004, 03:35 AM
What does the clothing have to do with it though?

kikimm
08-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Generally, people in Final Fantasy don't wear clothes that are light, sunny, bright, and all that good stuff if they have a personality like....Shadow, or someone. It seems like Tetsuya Nomura wants their clothes to have more symbolism, so they reflect their personalities more. I know that this doesn't work the same way in real life, but it's fairly easy to judge the characters by the way they look here.

All I ask is to get out of the blond-haired hero thing. I'm tired of it. And older, more experienced ones. The darker the better. *shrug* Oh well. This doesn't mean that I'm looking forward to FF12 any less.

aeris2001x2
08-28-2004, 11:19 AM

man what is so bad bout Tidus? he starts as annoying jock, but by the end he mature's into noble guardian. he mature's so much in this game...or cant u get past the jock sterotype?

anyway, back on topic. ffXII looks like its gonna be a solid title. it wont be ffVI/VII quality...but i suspect it will not disapoint.

anyone have any idea who the main villain will be? that will be a huge factor in dertimining how dark it is...

Takara
08-28-2004, 01:09 PM
It seems like Tetsuya Nomura wants their clothes to have more symbolism, so they reflect their personalities more. I know that this doesn't work the same way in real life, but it's fairly easy to judge the characters by the way they look here.

Tetsuya Nomura didn't make the character designs for FFXII, by the way. Just because Nomura designed the characters outfits to reflect the characters' personality doesn't mean it will be the case with Akihiro Yoshida's designs. Maybe Ashe will turn out to be a prude, Penelo will be a total "female-dog", and Fran will be as sweet as cotton candy.

TheAbominatrix
08-28-2004, 01:27 PM
And Nomura also didnt do the designs for VI... and Shadow is dressed as he is because he's a ninja, and that's all pretty standard-fare ninja gear. Though the dark seclusion of it does reflect his personality.

And what I meant was... the clothing of VI didnt look at all dark. If you look at the designs (or even just the sprites), Terra has a cute little dress, and so on and so forth, too tired to go over more than that.

kikimm
08-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Whoopsies. Sorry-I was talking mainly about the ones he did do them for, although I realize I used Shadow (my mistake). I probably should have used Lulu, or someone like that.

TheAbominatrix
08-29-2004, 11:51 PM
No worries, I got the gist. I just mainly wanted to point out that the argument that the clothing in VI was darker was silly... cause it wasnt really darker.

But I understand what ya mean. xD

Del Murder
08-30-2004, 02:12 AM
I miss the old days of just a blue shirt and black pants.

Cz
08-31-2004, 11:45 AM
While Vaan may not be as tough-looking as Cloud, it looks like he'll be a more serious character than say, Zidane or Tidus. His childish looks appear to hide a deeper and more thoughtful character, which should be a welcome change from...well, Tidus.

DJZen
08-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Eh, I'd prefer FF games NOT be completely dark. Why? I find it obnoxious.

aeris2001x2
08-31-2004, 06:38 PM
does it collerate that a dark character will be liked?. how many protagnists below r liked?

ffII-Firional...ok he was not dark, but he certainly was not childish

ffIV-Cecil. ok he is very liked, and he was a depressed loner.

ffV- Bartz. is this Pimp liked? he is no where near dark, yet.

ffVI-Terra,Celes,Locke,. i Know Locke at least is highly rated. yet he was a happy go-lucky adventurer. however Celesalmost commits sucide and Terra doesnt exactly emanate happiness. yet them two r liked.

ffVII-Cloud. in my opinion the Darkest and most screwed up main person. widely liked.

ffVIII-Squall. he too is very screwed up and full of internal darkness. yet he is widely hated. why?

ffIX- Zidane. very childish indeed. some ppl saw this guy as a breath of fresh air after all the seriousness of the last three games.

ffX-Tidus. is it really just his Jockness that irrates? he is not dark, but his journey from childhood to manhood over the game is admirable.

ffX-2. Yuna. again, darkness is not the point. its not about her being her own person. i guess the games focus's have changed recently.

ok i,ve lost my way. i guess what i,m trying to say is Darkness in a protagnist will not make them good or bad. there r far more important factors. but i guess after the last three protagnists, we ARE due for some dark person.

Takara
09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't call Cecil a depressed loner. Depressed, yes. Being forced to kill innocent people would have affected anyone with a caring soul. Being a loner, though? Not likely. He cares and worries about his companions as much as they care and worry for him, unlike Squall who just ignored everyone and acted like an ass with them for a major part of the game.

But yeah, it's not the FFI-IV forums, so... *coughs* Back on the topic.

And I agree with Czanthor; Vaan doesn't look like a tough guy physically, with his baby face and all, but appearances can be deceiving. If you look at the back story that was given for him, he lost his entire family to the war. He wants to liberate the Kingdom from the invaders.

Unless we get to play and see how he acts, it's though to say if he'll be a wimp like Tidus (or worse, Edward :p) or not, but from the little info we've been given so far, it looks like he'll be a much deeper character, and he may surprise us greatly.

DJZen
09-03-2004, 09:14 PM
The hero of this game should TOTALLY be Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-05-05) He is SOOO hardcore and dark. OMG SO H4RDC0R3 = >all!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

aeris2001x2
09-03-2004, 09:18 PM
very funny...though i think Todd is decent(i like Spawn).

DJZen
09-03-2004, 09:29 PM
That comic was more in reference to his designs for Soul Calibur 2 and Evil Prophecy which are unimaginative and less spooky than certain pokemon. It's not just Todd that they're poking fun at though. They're also making fun of "dark" games in general. See here: http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/amusing3.jpg

In that title you'll find a parody of every dark game ever made.

kikimm
09-11-2004, 11:56 PM
*Covers eyes*. Yeesh. That was not what I meant when I said "dark".

Turk
09-12-2004, 02:12 PM
ffVIII-Squall. he too is very screwed up and full of internal darkness. yet he is widely hated. why?

...Whatever.