PDA

View Full Version : Something "real"?!

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-08-2004, 10:41 AM
ok i have heard talk about people saying they listen to "real music"!?

what is "real music" to you ?

like credibility is the hardest thing for artists to have as musicians...i mean an artist/s music could be popular but what if he/she could be a sellout....so if ur in a store listening to music u like....how do u know the artist is "for real" in terms of lyrics and how they present themselves in the media?

and does a person listening to a certain type of music affect the way you judge them....so does it affect how u get along with people?

This stuff was inspired from a debate from school btw....

....just wondering...

Moose Knight
06-08-2004, 01:29 PM
I think its b.s. whenever someone says something like "real music"...how can music be "fake?" There's no such thing as illusionary music.

The Captain
06-08-2004, 05:08 PM
I've always understood "Real" music to be music actually played by an artist with instruments, not just voices. A LOT of people can sing, or even fake singing, but not a whole lot of people can play and sing together and it's nearly impossible to fake playing an instrument.

Take care all.

-N-
06-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Maybe illusionary music is like a baby banging pots and pans. There seems to be order in the chaotic noise patterns, but there really isn't and you're just insane. *shrugs*

More context would be appreciated.

Kirobaito
06-08-2004, 06:46 PM
I consider real music to be the same opinion as the Cap, with artists with instruments, and singing (optional). People singing along with computers is in no way appealing to me. Also required, if there is singing, is tasteful lyrics. This is why I only listen to country.

jrgen
06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't consider synthetic music fake.
What's fake is when someone make music because they just want to be rich or famous.
I think real music is when someone does music out of his own ideas on what he wants his music to sound.
Not because he wants to be rich or famous.
Just because he wants to make goods music.

Masami
06-08-2004, 09:17 PM
No matter how the music is made, if it is a genuine creation of the artist then I'll respect it, even if I don't like the sound. Too many artists today are performing what someone else created so it would sound "cool" and make money. I hate that, and I really wish music would be about the art, not about money.

MecaKane
06-08-2004, 09:19 PM
This is why I only listen to country.

And <i>this</i> is why talking to King Bahamut has been prohibited by law. :eek:

And real music is music made by real people, not robots, as seen in Bill and Ted's the one where they build the robots.

Mr. Graves
06-09-2004, 01:38 AM
Music is noise with a tune. As in: anything but Rap and Polka.

The Captain
06-09-2004, 04:48 AM
"What's fake is when someone make music because they just want to be rich or famous.
I think real music is when someone does music out of his own ideas on what he wants his music to sound.
Not because he wants to be rich or famous.
Just because he wants to make goods music."

Amen to that. Anything done with respect, passion and zest for music gains my admiration as well.

Take care all.

Rostum
06-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Real music... is when someone makes music to potray their emotions and feelings to whoever they want listening. They make music because they want to and not to be popular and make a lot of money, it doesn't matter if it's synthed or whatever, as long as it's been made original and because they just wanted to make music. I don't really count Rap as music, more of an art though... even though I'm not too into it myself.

Also on the matter, peoples taste in music... I am very open in music, and I always try and discourage people to be close minded.
*cough* King Bahamut *cough*

Anyways, ask me any questions if you think my views are wrong. ^^

Montoya
06-10-2004, 01:54 AM
I don't really consider any type of music fake or real. I always got confused when people said. "OMGWTF! There's fake music!?" :p

nik0tine
06-23-2004, 10:59 AM
the best music is always the music with the best lyrics. i dislike most music with crappy lyrics. courtesy of the red white and blue comes to mind here..

Germ Hamee
06-23-2004, 09:50 PM
I have a really hard time defining what I call "real music." It's one of those things I don't think I can really describe, it's just something I hear. It's incredibly rare for me to deem any kind of rock - or anything else mainstream for that matter - as real music. I look for really lush sounds: a lot of instruments (a world of music exists outside of guitar, bass, and drums, people), genuine motive behind the music, actual talent. Lyrics and vocals are never necessary, and I would actually prefer they're avoided unless you know what you're doing.

I guess essentially, most of what I call "real music" are instrumental pieces, and the few mainstream musicians that try to bring something new to the market. Express yourself, but don't forget to express your individuality as well.

Doomgaze
06-24-2004, 06:04 AM
I know you're not talking smack about Weird Al, Graves. >=O

Casey
06-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Like other people said, music is a form of art, the music produced is as real as it gets, the art. Its real, its not fake. There are so many people out there ripping off art from other people just to claim it as there own creation, when somebody else made it. Kind of like plagiarism.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-24-2004, 06:47 AM
I tend to define "fake" music as rap and "real" music as not rap.

As far as lyrics go though, you can't say that music requires lyrics, it doesn't. There are great pieces of music (classical, for example, my personal preference) that have no words whatsoever.

nik0tine
06-25-2004, 07:47 AM
other tahn classical, or things that require absurd talent, lyrics are necessary in my opinion.