PDA

View Full Version : It's Cyber-birds!

Kirobaito
06-09-2004, 04:38 AM
My computer is doing something PSYCHO-weird lately. It's CHIRPING. Yes, chirping. These sounds are coming out of the speakers, at random points in time. In fact, it just happened not 5 seconds ago. I've asked Arche on #eoff, but that git won't help me, he just tells me to turn my speakers off. :p :grover:

Uh, I've run AdAware, Spybot, and Norton, and it continues to happen. Help me, pwetty pwease.

Dr Unne
06-09-2004, 05:30 AM
CTRL+ALT+DEL and see if any strange processes are running. Are you positive it's a bird tweet, and not some kind of interference or static or feedback through your speakers? Have you tried hooking up different speakers and/or headphones and seeing if the sound is still coming through?

If all else fails, reinstall Windows.

EDIT: Perhaps even if all else succeeds.

Kirobaito
06-09-2004, 05:36 AM
Well, I know it's not static, it is a bird tweet.

And on the processes thing, I would have no idea what a weird process would be. :p

After restarting my computer about 5 times over the past 10 minutes (due to my, err...dial-up "issues" :chop:), it's not doing it anymore.

Edit: And if all else succeeds, wouldn't you want me to uninstall, not reinstall, Windows and replace it with Gentoo Linux?

Dr Unne
06-09-2004, 06:23 AM
"Process" roughly means "a program that's running at the moment". A strange one would be something like bird_tweet.exe or evil_virus.com. Gentoo doesn't have random tweeting bird problems, but it does require knowledge of things like recognizing a strange process. I doubt you'd like it.

Sorry, I should've recommended rebooting Windows. Rebooting Windows solves the majority of problems, and reinstalling it solves the rest. ("Problems" in this case means annoyances which CAN be solved while still deciding to run Windows instead of something else.)

Rostum
06-09-2004, 10:18 AM
You sure a bird isn't living in your speaker? Maybe it died and that's why it stopped?

Baloki
06-09-2004, 11:25 AM
I'm Late as always :D

It might be the dial-up churping, set it so your modem doesn't play its little tune through your speakers, might help (Its on the modem properties somewhere).

And I get told off for telling people to reinstall windows *strops*

crono_logical
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
It might be the dial-up churping, set it so your modem doesn't play its little tune through your speakers, might help (Its on the modem properties somewhere).Or mute the modem in Volume Control (use the speaker icon in the tooltray if it's there).

I must have reinstalled Linux at least 3 times this week :D

Kirobaito
06-09-2004, 06:56 PM
I doubt it's my modem, and it's happening again, so I've opened up Windows Task Manager, and when it happens again I'll un-minimize that and see what's at the top.

EDIT: Crapweasel with cheese...there wasn't nothing different at the top (Windows Media Player was still at the top).

Dr Unne
06-10-2004, 06:46 AM
The only reason I ever had to reinstall Gentoo was when I bought a new computer, and I don't suppose that's a "re" install anyways.

Post a screenshot of your whole task manager. Playing a wav file probably isn't going to bump something to the top of the list in CPU usage anyways, if that's what you're trying to catch it doing.