PDA

View Full Version : Is CC good?

VampireCrono
06-10-2004, 03:48 PM
You decide. Does it suck? (I think so :p) Is it actually good? Is it a good sequel? Should CC even exist because of the quality of game it is?

Jebus
06-10-2004, 03:51 PM
You need a third option. It was completely meh.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-10-2004, 03:51 PM
It's certainly got it's flaws, but I'm glad we got it instead of no sequel at all.

VampireCrono
06-10-2004, 04:05 PM
I meant to vote NO NONONONONONN and not Yes. Forgive my misclick. Please. I would never vote yes this game is good on CC

Jebus
06-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Bwahahaha, pwned.

WarZidane
06-10-2004, 04:09 PM
It's sooooooo good, i'm definitely voting yes.

Sefie1999AD
06-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Does it suck?

No, I don't think it's that bad.

Is it actually good?

Somewhat.

Is it a good sequel?

No! It only had better graphics than CT (and graphics don't mean much to me), everything else is inferior to CT.

Should CC even exist because of the quality of game it is?

I'd rather have CC as a stand-alone game rather than a sequel that totally messes up the Chrono storyline. Anyway, I could explain my opinion about the game in a bit more detailed way. :p

Storyline: It starts out quite good, and the storyline in Disc 1 is pretty good all the time, though not excellent. The 2nd Disc totally fails the story. It seems rushed, there's lots of time travel paradoxes there, nothing is explained well enough and so forth. Some things shouldn't even be possible. The final battle and ending are just like Disc 2: very boring and clearly rushed. There's not a final boss music, the boss doesn't really have much meaning, and the ending is sub-par even if you save Schala. There's 42 characters, but only Kid and Harle get any decent development, and that still isn't much at all. The rest are just like NPCs. Serge never speaks so you can't get fond of the main character, either. This wouldn't be a problem if all the other characters weren't so bland. Lynx is also an adequate character, but he's too underdeveloped, IMHO.

Technical stuff: Graphics are pretty good. They're not as realistic as FF8's, and the FMVs are nothing to overly brag about, but they're still highly detailed and good-looking. Sounds are alright, nothing to complain about them, although on the other hand, nothing spectacular with them. As for the music, most people love it, but I don't. I really dislike it how Yasunori Mitsuda's music is inserted in the game. The world map and town themes are great, but the battle themes, for a lack of a better word, suck big-time. The only good ones are Edge of Death (boss theme) and Dragon God (2nd last boss theme). Normal battle theme really annoys me, and I just hate it how they've put either peaceful and calm songs or annoying and cheesy songs on the most important battles. "People Seized with Life", "Garden of God", "FATES - God's Destiny", "Star Tower" and "In the Time of Disorder" just don't work as battle songs, IMHO.

Gameplay: This one's quite mixed. I don't really like the battle system. It's nothing too interesting, the user interface in menus is horrible. They should have at least let you switch spells between characters. It's a real pain to switch spells from one character to another, and that really discourages you from using many characters. It's probably the best idea to just stick with 3 good characters and leave the other 39 people alone. The game doesn't allow you to level up. You only gain small stat increases on normal fights, and they stop after a while. As far as I know, you'll get those same increases on the next boss. You might as well save some time and run away from every random battle. The only use of fighting is to get money, and I hardly ever needed to buy anything. Running away works every time, BTW. Even in boss fights and the final battle. This makes the game easy. Well, the game is too easy anyway. There's only a few hard bosses, and most of them are optional. But while the battle system isn't good, the gameplay is otherwise pretty solid. You can move around freely and explore places, do side quests, mini games, get more characters (that you'll probably never use) to join your party, and other neat stuff. Although the musical near Marbule has little to do with the storyline, it's still a breathtaking scene. The Dead Sea is also a great area, and it's always fun to see Crono, Marle and Lucca again. Too bad they're ghosts or something, and their appearances are extremely rare. I guess the overall gameplay is quite fun even though I don't like the battle system.

After all this ranting, I'll just say that CC is alright as a game, but it's not really a good CT sequel.

m4tt
06-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Is it good? No.

Outsider
06-10-2004, 06:59 PM
It's not a good game. Actually, it's one horrible game.

I still don't understand why make a sequel to CT that has so little to do with the original game.

crono_logical
06-10-2004, 08:17 PM
I'd say it's more good than not good to me, though there are better games :p

Del Murder
06-11-2004, 02:37 AM
I thought it was quite good. It's hard to follow an act like CT.

-N-
06-11-2004, 03:49 AM
It is difficult to follow in CTs footsteps, but I think CC did an excellent job. I think when you treat it as a stand-alone game rather than put it in the shadow of CT, it becomes even better. I simply love it. Only through comparison is beauty destroyed.

ForeverZeroUltima
06-13-2004, 09:30 PM
*sigh* i was afraid that someone would create a thread like this

just another "i hate CC" thread.

-N-
06-14-2004, 01:16 AM
It would be an "I hate CC" thread, if it was titled "I hate CC", instead of honestly asking whether its good. More people think its good anyways, and asking whether its good is far more justifiable than just saying you don't like it.

Kirobaito
06-14-2004, 03:10 AM
I thought it was quite good. It will NEVER be as good as CT, but had it been a stand-alone game, it would have been considered much better. I think that people generally look down on it is because it followed CT, easily one of the greatest games ever created.

MateriaBladeVII
07-08-2004, 12:11 AM
What the hell are all you people talking about?! Chrono Cross kicks ass! Chrono Trigger is way less interesting than CC and the graphics suck in comparison. I'll have to admit CT is fun to play, but Chrono Cross is just so much more interesting. From the plot, to the music, to the characters, to the art designs- it's a wonderfully crafted project and I applaud Square for their efforts.

Not to mention both games are so innovational. They're like the first games ever to bring time travel and parallel universes into such important parts of the central plot-line of a game.

I found that the only characters that I liked in CT were Frog and Magus. Now CC on the other hand, had loads- Glenn, Lynx, Harle, Starky, and I could keep going...

Although- Ozzie, Slash, and Flea are awesome...

The music in CC kicks total ass and only a few little ditties in CT really catch the ear... Although, that can be disputed as well as everything I have mentioned.

I dunno- time travel is just a cliché to storytelling (although never really implemented much into games before this one, I should add) while parallel universes are much more new to the idea spectrum.

I don't see why you guys take such a negative attitude about it. *shrugs*

Trumpet Thief
07-08-2004, 01:13 AM
T'was an okay game in my opinion. I still think CT is way better.

Edgar
07-10-2004, 08:02 PM
I love CC for it's storyline, it's paradoxical theories, etc. It's so darn interesting. Disc 1 almost made me cry but Disc 2 is where everything gets interesting. Bring a notepad, jot down notes and everything would be clear. Your questions on 'why' would be answered. What the game failed to explain is the 'how's, which sparked up a lot of real life scientific theories like Temporal Inertia (pulled from Back to the Future 1)

Characters are a multitude and you only use a few. Hey, Suikoden has 108 characters and almost all of them have no real development, therefore I'm not complaining with this one.

Mitsuda tops Nobuo IMHO, therefore music is somewhat good. No wait, it's fantastic! Admittedly, I would say the that the boss and normal battle themes suck. Those are the only music that sucked tho...the rest are off the charge imo. Mitsuda's seemed to specialize in mysterious and grand music, and of course, lyrical.

The Gameplay is somewhat good. Disallowing powerleveling is a good thing but gaining stats...well...leads to powergaming still. Overall it's good as far as leveling goes. It makes you stick to the game instead of walking around for random encounters to happen.

It's great to see Crono and Lucca again but...Marle? Arg... :mad2:

Overall it's a pretty solid game. Espacially it's storyline. It's storyline is great. It's the only game other than Xenogears which makes me even BOTHER to research on. Did I mention the storyline was good?

SomethingBig
07-10-2004, 10:51 PM
It was so-so. It's been years since I last played it, but I don't remember liking it enough to actually get passed the first disc. I'm not voting yes or no.

edczxcvbnm
07-16-2004, 12:34 AM
This game rocks. The battle system is great and creative(I love the magic system). The fact that there is no way to over level up rocks also. Your stats are pretty much set. Music is great and so is the story(although really slow going).

Master.Pug
07-16-2004, 02:26 PM
if you get the story its great! even better than FFVII in my opinion!
I also like the linking aspect which combines the story of CT and CC!
not every single character is totally developed, but take it easy, this makes the game even more great than others, because you have to think alot to find a meaning of those charakters!

this game captured me more than any other (even CT!) and got a (YES) in the this poll!
I don't understand why people dislike Cross, but thats just my opinion :-)

sinc. Pug

Triple T
07-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Depends on your view on good. If you enjoy a great, yet confusing story, annoying battle music and 44 characters this is your game. But that's not all though. There's some battles that require brain power, and also some comedy and drama too. So this game covers mostly that, yet there's no blood/gore.

So, in my opinion, this game was pretty good. And trying to get all endings was challenging and fun. So I reccomend it.

DMKA
07-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Its an ok game...it was fun, but I didn't like it enough to ever play it a second time through, and I was very dissapointed with the ending (as I was with Legend of Dragoon). Or maybe I'm just spoiled with the FF endings....

I agree with Jebus...it was completely meh.

Magus
07-17-2004, 07:30 PM
It was okay. but should have been better i think that because of that game, the Chrono serie lost many fans. i'm not saying that it totally sucked but i was disapointed.

Mr. Rothgar
07-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Personally i think CT is the undisputed greatest game of all time--i've never enjoyed a game more or found myself able to hum the music years after the last time i beat it--bottom line is that CC was a solid game on its own--but it had way too hard of an act to follow. People wanted to see the old characters they loved and they got stuck with guys like serge--kidd was cool and glenn was solid but there wer way too many characters to see any of them seriously develop--and while i enjoyed it and probably played it through several times seein all the endings--it is not even close to CT--which i relished to see every new ending because the characters were so likeable--there was no character nearly as cool as Magus or as lovable as Marle (although Kidd was close)--bottom line is they made a "sequel" which was more of a related work that didnt bring back half of what had made it so successful--lovable characters--while they did bring back their brilliant innovation

Magil
07-28-2004, 12:44 PM
EDIT: I forgot to mention CRAPPY, HORRIBLE characters. I said this before, and I'll say it again, CC had 30+ characters, and besides Serge, Kid, Glenn, and Riddel(I'm not exactly sure what her name is, but I'll stick with Riddel), all you knew about the other characters were their first names.

W....W.hat????

If you keep a certain character in your party for long enough, and theres the fourtune-telling, and whoever was in your party when you get Schala ending will also have his/her own unique messge.

Along with that usually getting someones lv. 7 tech teaches you something new about him/her.

And just Serge, Kid, Glenn and Riddel????
What about Karsh, Harle, Norris ?!?!?!!?!
Starky, Razzly??!??!?
Getting all the endings help too!!!!

Ive said my peice.

randomfatguy609
07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
i thought the game was pretty good. it has the best music ever in a square game (next to ff6) and the entire thing about FATE was kinda cool IMO. too bad magus never showed up though...

Magus
07-29-2004, 01:06 AM
Magus was suppose to be Magil & his name was suppose to be Alf but i think they just gave up on the idea.

MateriaBladeVII
07-29-2004, 01:54 AM
And boy am I glad they called him Magus! lol. Those other two names suck. :tongue:

SpikingZero
08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
It's all right. To be honest, I played CC before I played CT. As already mentioned, there were scenes in which the story was rushed; not to mention the characters are rather stale and not to mention rather unimportant. I've also never found a game in which the final boss was not the major threat in the game. Sometimes when I sit back and try to think of the events that take place in the game...I can't. I just get so confused. I just, honestly at times do not get the game. If I was to explain the game in a nutshell to somebody, I really couldn't.

Depressio
08-13-2004, 06:06 AM
i don't remember much of chrono cross... i played it within the span of three days, i believe... i SHOULD have been practicing for an upcoming concert i had with this orchestra, yet i was sick, so i didn't feel like practicing my instrument... so i played chrono cross. but, from what i gathered, it really does not prove to be a worthy sequel to chrono trigger. chrono trigger is one of my favorite games, with in-depth characters, and a moderately good storyline. but chrono cross was just odd.... i think one of the things that really turned me off to chrono cross was that there was hardly any character development. character development is probably the top thing i look for in a game, unless it's a very old game such as final fantasy 1. anyway, there were 42 (give or take) characters, and only two or three characters got any development. kidd, harle, lynx, and maybe serge got character development, but THAT'S IT. nobody else mattered, which annoyed me. the storyline was all right, but eh, it didn't grab me. i wish i could play radical dreamers... dammit, they should bring that to america.

Magus
08-13-2004, 04:29 PM
there is a translated rom of RD i dont't quite remember the site but i have it somewhere in my computer.

Depressio
08-14-2004, 06:02 AM
there is a translated rom of RD i dont't quite remember the site but i have it somewhere in my computer.

really? sweet! have you played it? is it good?

VampireCrono
08-17-2004, 05:58 PM
In any case, back on topic. I'll give my full opinion here.

Ok I like Chrono Cross as a standalone. Though intended as a sequel, it really sucks if classified that way. The battle music sucks. All the other music is ok or great. The battle system is cool, I like it to some extent. The fact that you have like 44 or something characters sucks. Because you really don't know which ones are good, and which parties with which characters are the strongest, which sucks. The storyline takes forever, but then again that's a good and bad thing. It kind of proves that CC should have been standalone, since sequels shouldn't be like 4749885 hours of gameplay. Showing CT scenes, such as Leene's bell, and Crono, Marle, and Lucca are really pointless when it comes down to judging the game on it's relation to Chrono Trigger. You don't go back in time, you only go to a different dimension. You don't go to a different time in the same dimension, you just go back and forth, getting characters and/or items. Overall, CC is good if not awesome stand alone, but frankly, it sucks as a sequel. I know I'm repeating myself, but honestly, you have to see CC for what it really is: just a failed sequel, that should be a stand alone.

Magil
08-20-2004, 10:27 PM
And boy am I glad they called him Magus! lol. Those other two names suck. :tongue:

Magil does'nt suck :cry:

Either way i decide that Guille is Magus who due to some freak accident lost his memory, and was transported 13020 years into the future :D .

and then... was found on the beach unconscious by the fortune teller :D .

you have to see CC for what it really is: just a failed sequel

*Cries*

escobert
08-21-2004, 06:46 AM
I enjoyed CC. I have yet to play CT since my friend has all of my games :(

edczxcvbnm
08-21-2004, 07:15 AM
just a failed sequel, that should be a stand alone.

I guess that makes every FF game after the first a complete and utter abomination of a sequel.

Moving on...after play some CC again, I am convinced this series needs yet another awesome sequel. They both just had such unquie and awesome battle systems as well as stories.

Depressio
08-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Magil does'nt suck :cry:

Either way i decide that Guille is Magus who due to some freak accident lost his memory, and was transported 13020 years into the future :D .

and then... was found on the beach unconscious by the fortune teller :D .

*Cries*

in "radical dreamers", there's a character named gil (or magil, in the english version), who's supposed to be magus, and guile was originally supposed to be gil, but they dropped the idea, so guile is based on gil (they look very similar), so guile is not magus... he's just based on him... or maybe he's a clone... maybe magus built a clone army, and they're gonna take over the world as we speak! ahhh!!! *runs in terror*

HunterFlamebrow
10-02-2004, 03:26 AM
Chrono Cross is a good game, but it certainly could use some improvement:
1) Either lose about half the playable characters or give them some substantial backstory that actually matters to the course of the game.
2) Change the battle music!! And give the final boss some music besides sound effects. Even just a simple drum track, if you want to keep the whole 'emptiness of time' theme.
3) Differentiate more between the two worlds. For starters, have the "another world/home world" marker up all the time, and have characters that exist in both worlds look slightly different. The first time I played through the game the Dario/Glenn/Radius/Riddel/Karsh/Garai backstory had me very confused, simply becuase I couldn't keep track of who was who in which/what world, and whether or not they were dead.
4) As has been mentioned before, create some sort of system in which a character's entire arrangment of elements can be switched to another character.
5) Make Serge able to talk. He had no personality. At all. Plus, it created so many awkward conversations like "What's that Serge? You think we should attack? OK!" (*exaggeration; not an actual quote).
6) Add some more FMV's. The world of El Nido seemed very beautiful, and I'd like to see it represented more in full motion video.

Don't get me wrong though: I loved the game. It's just that some things hindered my enjoyment of it. I loved the battle system, and think that the secret disclosed by Belthasar towards the end was one of the greatest shocks in Square RPG's. Actually, it was the greatest shock. So my answer is yes.

Average_Samurai
10-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I´m just gonna go ahead and say that I really liked CC and what I liked about it.

It had one of my favorite stories, except that it was ridiculously confusing. It was very nostalgic, and I think it was very underrated. I think knowing what is going on is overrated.

All the character designs were interesting, and what we know about all the characters is very interesting.

The music was absolutely amazing.

The music was absolutely amazing.

The art style was beautiful. If only for the imagery, music, and atmosphere, I loved this game.

Imperia
10-25-2004, 04:01 PM
I love this game. It has its own flaws, but I really enjoy it.

Raijin
10-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Though this game was inferior to my favorite game of all time Chrono trigger. Chrono cross in itself taken out of context and connection to Ct itself is an enjoyable experience, though it def. has its flaws as does every rpg.

good game=yes
good sequel=no

ShunNakamura
11-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Chrono Cross to me was a great game.

The characters could use more development and I would like to see more dual/triple techs then there are but other then that I had no complaints, the whole thing meshed pretty well together.

Btw Fargo was by far the coolest :D.

To elaborate and defend square a bit, the characters in a sense you learned what serge would know about the characters, or at least that is the feeling I recieved, true it is frustrating but also realistic, hard to know alot about people when you are in the middle of saving the world.

Master.Pug
11-08-2004, 05:03 PM
best game ever: jo!
best sequel ever: jo!

people who dislike CC lost their brain somewhere out there?: jo :-p

I really don't get it why some people hate this game... its fun from the beginning to the end^^

saint35
11-15-2004, 02:35 AM
it was a great game for me

the people voted no are expecting chrono cross to be to much like chrono trigger that's why they voted no

EDIT: In the future, please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Murder

shadowskull
12-10-2004, 03:06 AM
I personally loved the whole Chrono series, although i do have complaints about CC, like everyone was saying.... character development is a HUGE factor.. i was really lookin forward to the PSX version on dual/triple techs in chrono cross......but was very dissapointed in that.... only 2 triple techs!!!! only like 10 duel techs.....Story was fantastic... music was/is unforgettable.. The Ending!?? THE ENDING!!?? the one where u use the cross to save schala!!!? I couldnt believe how much that ending sucked!!! can anyone please explain to me what schala was trying to say?? cause it really dissapointed me... but i will still vote "Yes" on the poll.

Karsh
12-10-2004, 07:32 PM
I never played Chrono Trigger because you don't get analog abily, and from the looks of it, the graphics really suck. If they were to remake it in regaurds to these things, I might consider buying it.

Chrono Cross is a great game and though not my favorite, certainly one of my favorites. I could say this whether it is a sequel to Trigger or a stand alone game. Doesn't matter. Their are only a few minor things that I didn't like, such as Kid not being there for half the game, and not ever having a chance at becoming Serge's girlfriend, and characters coming to Serge's aid so late in the game... Orlha for example is ready to get her 7th level tech once she joins. But overall, I love this game almost as much as Final Fantasy VIII and X-2.

Not Dave
12-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I think it's a great game. It's my third favorite RPG (behind FFV and BoF2), and I believe it to be better than Chrono Trigger.