PDA

View Full Version : Game Boy Final Fantasy

Tgunz262
06-11-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm guessing a bunch of you ou there have played the Gameboy Final Fantasy Ledgends(3)/Adventure(1) and I just want to know what you think about them. They of course pale in comparison to say FF4-FF11, but they were fairly well made. I think that FF Ledgend 3 and Final Fantasy Adventure (a birds-eye view Zelda like game, enemies on screen, swing weapons) were the best two. I really remember that the stupid figure 8 pattern you're supposed to run in the oasis in FFA to open a secret door was impossible to figure out. The only clue you got was that one villager in a nearby town says "8" when you talk to him.

Jebus
06-11-2004, 03:24 PM
They weren't Final Fantasy games. FFA was actually Seiken Densetsu 1, a prequel to Secret of Mana. And the Legends series was actually part of the SaGa series, as in SaGa Frontier and the like. Dunno why they titled them Final Fantasy though.

Anyway, I didn't think they were that bad. Never finished them though.

Flying Mullet
06-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Dunno why they titled them Final Fantasy though.
They titled them "Final Fantasy" because they were relying on the name to sell more copies.

Yes, I have all four of them and I Final Fantasy Lengend II is my favorite. I bought it when it first came out for Gameboy and have beaten it many times.

Lord Chainsaw
06-11-2004, 10:04 PM
I like all the gameboy ones.

They are all extremely good. My favorite however is Final Fantasy Legend. Simply because the story line was extremely well done and VERY original. To this day I consider it to have one of the greatest plot twists in video game history.

The others are great too. Final Fantasy Adventure is a lot of fun. There's a few bugs in that game though. One is that you need to buy keys to open doors in dungeons. If you save and quit in a dungeon, then the doors will be locked again when you turn the game back on. Keys waste. So if you use your last key, save and quit and you might find yourself stuck. Final Fantasy Adventure/Sword of Mana to this day remains my favorite entry in the Mana series.

Final Fantasy Legend 2 is good... but to be quite honest it is VERY unbalanced. The first few worlds are easy enough, but once you get to the Dragon Races world the difficulty skyrockets. You can't hit anything anymore without missing, and the enemies are killing you in one hit. It is so unbalanced that towards the end of the game (Final Dungeon and the Center of the Celestial World) regular battles are more difficult than the boss battles. It's fun and all, but I don't honestly believe anyone decided to test play it.

Final Fantasy Legend 3 is good. It reminds me a lot of Mystic Quest. It has great music. My two favorite tracks are the boss theme and the final battle. The only problems I have with this game is that the "meat" that your characters can eat is pretty much useless, because the human characters are much better than the monsters. I'm one for good boss fights, but I found the boss fights in this game to be a little too long. Some where also a little too hard (Chaos, Fenrir, Agron.) That boss difficulty problem can be contributed to the fact that leveling up in this game is so ridiculously hard. It's like Legend of Dragoon. Regular battles are going to hardly level you up.

Overall I'd say all four games are classics. They're all wonderful. It absolutely PAINS me to rank them, but if I had to I'd rank them like this:

1. Final Fantasy Legend
2. Final Fantasy Adventure
3. Final Fantasy Legend 2
4. Final Fantasy Legend 3

Del Murder
06-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Legend did have a great plot twist!

These were my first RPGs I ever played, so naturally I am attached to them. Part 2 was the best though, you got some cool characters that joined you and the robot and monster weren't worthless (actually in later boss battles the monster is worthless but still fun to have around).

Part III had some cool things to it, like actual levels and MP, plus the weapons don't waste. Also the time travel aspect was neat. But I agree with Chainsaw that the meat/parts aspect of it was worthless since the human characters were vastly superior. That's ok.

If you like Adventure you should check out Sword of Mana for the GBA. It is a remake of that very game.