PDA

View Full Version : DOS Emulator for Windows XP

Erdrick Holmes
06-11-2004, 07:27 PM
I can't find one for XP Pro, I googled and I keep getting dos emus for OSX and Linux.

Dr Unne
06-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I've never seen one for XP, and the ones for Linux are somewhat sucky. You can find real DOS boot disk images and make a boot floppy and boot to real DOS. Even then it's not going to work very well, unless your hardware is compatible with 10-year-old DOS drivers. Especially sound card and video card; it was hard enough getting those to work in DOS when DOS was modern, let alone right now. And today's computers are about a thousand times too fast to use to play DOS games. They make sucky programs like MOSLO that try to slow your computer down enough so you can play games, but I've have terrible experience with those.

You can buy a 486 laptop on ebay for like $20 or $30. If/when I ever want to play my old DOS games again, that's what I plan to do.

Shoeberto
06-11-2004, 08:48 PM
DOSbox
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

It's not great, but it does what it says.

Peegee
06-12-2004, 05:31 AM
"If you really need a DOS prompt for some reason, you can format a floppy in XP as an MS-DOS startup disk. Just right-click on your floppy drive, select Format, and check that option."

Yamaneko
06-12-2004, 05:32 AM
You'll never get anything to run like that though. Do what Unne suggested.

Shoeberto
06-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Or you could just make a small partition for Win95 or 98 and dumb your old DOS games onto it. That's what I was planning on doing before my partition managing software decided to hate my hard drives.

Yamaneko
06-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Like Unne stated though, new hardware has big problems with old operating systems. Sound cards and processor speeds seem to be the biggest fuss when it comes to running programs in DOS.

Erdrick Holmes
06-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Hmm ok, I guess buying an old laptop can help me play Blood. Any other ideas?