PDA

View Full Version : Norton Question

syun_ukiya
06-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Norton scans every page I visit, somewhat making browsing slow. Is that really important? Or is it ok to turn that option off (without disabling norton auto-protect)

Baloki
06-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Does it? Are you sure, I've never noticed that feature.....

If it does then it should not take to long, its more likely that you have very little ram and alot running in the background, try closing the excess programs you are using while browsing....

crono_logical
06-13-2004, 03:39 PM
It's important if you use IE, certainly, due to the number of exploits in there. I'd probably turn it off for the speed increase if I was using Mozilla/Firefox, and just leave the anti-virus part of the program on.

syun_ukiya
06-14-2004, 11:06 AM
So mozilla is better than IE? And is norton the best anti-virus?

crono_logical
06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Most browsers are better than IE. Dunno about the anti-virus part, but most the rest of Norton like firewall and file protection features are a pile of crap. Not that the average user that browses web sites and read mails only will notice.

syun_ukiya
06-15-2004, 09:10 AM
i think my concern now is cpu memory. norton uses lot of my resources, so i'm thinking which of these two uses less cpu resource f-secure or pc-cillin.

i know mcafee also use lots if resources, right?

Baloki
06-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Your using more then one Virus background checker? Thats your problem then, only have one running in the background at a time else you'll get virtually no speed as they all use masses, the other option is to set their status as background in the ctrl+alt+del processes list, but just use one, its safer and faster.

syun_ukiya
06-15-2004, 11:01 AM
no. i never said i'm using 2 av programs. i'm thinking of uninstalling norton coz my pc can't handle it.

so i'm asking which of the two (pc-cillin or f-secure) uses less cpu resources.

Baloki
06-15-2004, 12:30 PM
no. i never said i'm using 2 av programs. i'm thinking of uninstalling norton coz my pc can't handle it.

so i'm asking which of the two (pc-cillin or f-secure) uses less cpu resources.

ahhh, sorry, mis understood the questions, might be best looking on the makers site and seeing which asks for the lowest processor, dunno though...