PDA

View Full Version : Americans can you.....

Dreamtiger42
06-13-2004, 10:09 PM
.... explain to me exactly what the "American Dream" is? :confused: cause i hear about ti on T.V and stuff and I wanna know what exactly is it?

Kirobaito
06-13-2004, 10:33 PM
I guess the best way to say what the "American Dream" is this:

We all want to live free. We don't want to be oppressed for our beliefs, or anything else about us. That's what the constitution was written for. OBVIOUSLY, there were a few things they were wrong on, but they got the general idea right. The American Dream is the reality that you CAN come to a place and be free, and be rich, and be happy.

Help me out here, Yanks, Rebs, and Surfers. Expand on this.

Laguna
06-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Read "Of Mice And Men" by Steinbeck- its all about the American Dream.

Rye
06-13-2004, 10:37 PM
The freedom to pursue happiness.

Kirobaito
06-13-2004, 10:38 PM
It's always been my dream to get shot in the back of the head by my best friend.

Peegee
06-13-2004, 10:42 PM
It's my dream to just exist. I'm doing that, so I'm happy.

The American dream appears to be either monetary or commercial. Maybe it isn't. Maybe it's just freedom, which you already have before coming to America. However if it ends up to be something utilitarian, I would be really surprised.

Which is not to say I have negative associations with America, just 'the American dream' :D

Laguna
06-13-2004, 10:45 PM
It's always been my dream to [spoiler] spoiler]

Havent you studied this book at all? Look at the dream they have for the future- for freedom and a fair existance. The ending just goes to show the fragility of all dreams.

Kirobaito
06-13-2004, 10:46 PM
'Twas a joke. I know the point of the story.

Yamaneko
06-13-2004, 10:53 PM
The American Dream is to kill your boss.

-N-
06-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Uh... something about a wife, two kids, a house, two cars, and a white picket fence.

Basically, the opportunity to work hard and have it pay off.

Mikztsu
06-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Uh... something about a wife, two kids, a house, two cars, and a white picket fence.

I've heard the same thing. Also, a pool.

Del Murder
06-14-2004, 01:48 AM
The American dream is that any penniless nobody can make it big with an idea and some hard work. Capitalism at its finest.

Meow
06-14-2004, 02:10 AM
And its deconstruction is that you step on a great deal of faces in the process.

Mr. Graves
06-14-2004, 03:30 AM
To have a family, go to work everyday, and be broke. That about sums it up.

Awrini
06-14-2004, 03:34 AM
Mr. Graves, the topic is about the "American Dream". Not the "American Reality".

Casey
06-14-2004, 04:04 AM
The American dream IS a REALITY. You just have to WORK HARD, and eventually it will come TRUE. Many people say there is no such thing, but there is so. American dream, imo is to be financially secure. An maybe have a nice family, and what not.

Different time periods then today. *spoiler*Yes, people working hard on the ranch just to make there fill, then try to spend it all to buy there own ranch and make there own money.

Good book though, classic.

Strider
06-15-2004, 02:15 AM
Hugh Hefner is the embodiment of the American Dream.

DocFrance
06-15-2004, 04:23 AM
The American Dream is best characterized as "rags to riches." It was a mainstream cliché in dime novels of the early Twentieth Century.

Dr Unne
06-15-2004, 04:35 AM
The American dream is that any penniless nobody can make it big with an idea and some hard work. Capitalism at its finest.

That is what it means. It is quite specific. It's used sometimes to refer to people who come here from other countries and become successful in a way that would've been impossible in their own country. Or people who're born here poor and become rich.

The Wandering Zero
06-15-2004, 05:53 AM
The American Dream is to get rich doing virtually nothing and a lame idea, eg - the pet rock.

America is teh suck.

The Captain
06-15-2004, 05:56 AM
More or less what others have said. Actually, I've found the best book to describe "The American Dream" is F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby".

Ironically, during the founding of this nation, the dream was much more broad and, dare I say it, idealistic. Beliefs that we all have the right to life, liberty and the persuit of happiness seemed to seep into every bit of documentation from that era. As the USA expanded Westward, the American Dream expanded to include the term "Manifest Destiny", which more or less said that we had the right to own the entire mainland USA, kicking off all others and creating our versions of a wonderful society.

Somewhere between the Civil War and the Great Depression however, the idea of the American Dream changed. It went from ideals to just surviving to being rich and powerful. Money became the ultimate determination of one's place in life, and sadly, it still is more or less today.

After WWII, during the Baby Boom era, one could argue that the American Dream was personified by housing developments such as Levittown, NY, and the GI Bill, concepts that allowed returning soldiers to buy houses, get jobs and education. People who had sacrified their lives to protect America were now being given the keys to the city, so to speak, to live the lives they wanted to.

Essentially, what the American Dream has become today however, is what others have written. Completely overrun by celebrity, instant fame, and skewing reality for the big dollars and limelight. We've become a society driven by the need to be known and popular. The American Dream has turned to a Nightmare.

Yet, hope remains within the bodies and minds of us all who wish to get ahead in life through ard work, focus, and steadfast belief in ourselves and one another. This, I hope, will one day be not just the American Dream, but a Dream for all people of the world.

Take care all.

Rainecloud
06-15-2004, 07:27 AM
So, it's nothing to do with the Jakatta song?

Now I'm confused. >_<

The Wandering Zero
06-15-2004, 10:55 AM
There's a song about it?

sephxangel
06-15-2004, 12:15 PM

Basically, the opportunity to work hard and have it pay off.

I think that's what it is basically...i hadn't thoguht about it unitl now.

Lord Xehanort
06-15-2004, 04:41 PM
The American Dream: that even though our Constitution states that all men are equal, we shouldn't be because we are better than all other countries combined just because we kicked a bunch of 'savages' out of their homes so we could turn around and say that killing is wrong.

Iceglow
06-15-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm not american but I understand the american dream it involves from my point of view the ability to live however the hell you please and not having to answer to someone for your actions

TasteyPies
06-15-2004, 06:11 PM
I understand the american dream it involves from my point of view the ability to live however the hell you please and not having to answer to someone for your actions

Unless its illegal or not "politicly correct".

Dignified Pauper
06-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Living with my grandpa all my life, I'm sure i know something about it.

The American Dream was established when the immigration waves of the poor and hungry were coming to America to start anew. They were willing to work hard and make money the best way they knew how, and slowly establish themselves. Many immigrants of that time became very wealthy as a result of their hardwork, making a fortune so their children could have a better life.

Yea, it's like that.

Chaos
06-16-2004, 12:27 AM
So you, like, pour all your blood, sweat and tears into the state, all your efforts and most of your adult life in the hope that someday, just someday you might be able to sit back and be content with life.

That right?

You basically give everything on the basis that you MIGHT be rewarded.

It seems a nice idea in theory, the whole idea that you can live how you wish and do what you wish.

Seems to only apply to Americans though, if anyone else in any other part of the world tries to live how they want, well, they can't. Only by becoming Americanised can they truley be free and live the proper 'free' way.

Yes.

Chaos