PDA

View Full Version : Stop Smoking

Yrkoon
06-14-2004, 03:17 AM
emm is this a good idea i want to stop smoking but emm find it hard so i locked all my baccy and rolling papers in a cupboard in my room and told my mum or dad to take the only key with them when they go to work.

i have no money and that baccy was last i could afford for moment if any thing itll mean i can go till 5 pm with out a smoke which is good :)

i need tips for stopping smoking if any one has any useful ones please post them :)

please no posts about nicotine patches or gum i want to do it by my self not get hooked on patches instead :)

Awrini
06-14-2004, 03:37 AM
Find something else to stick in your mouth, I suggest bubble gum, or those stick pretzels.

Del Murder
06-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Or a pen.

RSL
06-14-2004, 03:40 AM
Or your thumb.

Yamaneko
06-14-2004, 03:50 AM
I think gum would help.

Erdrick Holmes
06-14-2004, 03:55 AM
Take the carton of smokes, crumple up the box, and thow it in the garbage.

fire_of_avalon
06-14-2004, 03:58 AM
Quit for a month or so and use the cash you saved from not smoking anymore to buy yourself something nice and then think about how smoking cut into your buying of nice things before.

Casey
06-14-2004, 04:01 AM
I only smoked once in my entire life, and till this day regret it.
I think its dumb, and I wouldnt know of any tips since Im not addicted to it. Id say try drug rehab or whatever, and try not to buy any cigarettes? Also buy those nicotine patchs and gum.

Peegee
06-14-2004, 04:19 AM
You need to find something just as thrilling as cigs to combat EVERYTHING you've been using cigs for -- in-between class break, post dinner break, morning break, post toothbrush break, post cigarette break...etc etc.

Not hanging around smokers helps. Also if you didn't pass by the places you associate with smoking helps.

If everything goes wrong I suggest getting addicted to something harmless.

Agent Proto
06-14-2004, 04:19 AM
It's a good thing that you've made the decision to stop smoking. I think you're only problem now is sticking to this, but I think that you'll do good if you stick to it. For each time that you have a craving for a cig, chew on gum. It'll be a long one, so I wish you the best of success. :D

Meat Puppet
06-14-2004, 06:21 AM
Get addicted to something else, like amphetamines. :eep:

Or chocolate.

Storm
06-14-2004, 06:29 AM
I don't smoke cigarettes personally, but some of my friends do. They've tried to quit before, but it usually fails because they end up in an environment where a lot of people are smoking. I wouldn't recommend cutting off hanging around your friends because they smoke, but don't spend 6 hours in a place like a bar where literally everyone is smoking. The urge is just too high....

Good luck.

HOOTERS
06-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Smoke cigars instead. Sure, they're stronger, more expensive and taste like gravel but.....they make you look cool. :cool:

Rainecloud
06-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Try to keep busy. That's easier said that done, but if you can keep your mind on activities other than smoking, you'll find it much easier to quit. The times you spend alone are the most challenging, and those times are when you'll probably need your gum. Or pen. Or thumb.

Big D
06-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Gradually reduce the amount you smoke, that's usually the easiest way to quit. Calculate how many cigarettes you smoke per day, then gradually lower that figure.

Alternatively, get some scissors and cut one inch off the bottom of each cigarette. You can still kid yourself (or more importantly, your metabolism) that you're smoking just as much, when in reality you're cuttting back.

Gradually wean yourself off cigarettes, and embrace the healthier, free-breathing lifestyle.:)

Good luck!

o_O
06-14-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm a fan of the cold turkey method. :p If I were you, I'd go and get all of those cigarettes, and snap them in half and throw them away, that way there's no danger of you lighting up again. :p

Big D
06-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Going totally cold turkey, just quitting all at once, works for some people... but it's often pretty hard. You've gotta fight the full force of the addiction, whereas a gradual reduction generates less stress, but takes longer.

SeeDRankLou
06-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Getting rid of the cigarettes you have doesn't mean that you can't just go get some more, that won't work. And cold turkey is rather difficult to do. When I was trying to stop smoking, I started with the cold turkey method. I tried three times. I would just stop, but it was so bad that I would just pick it up again and I would start smoking more that I did before I tried to quit. Go with the gradual reduction as Big D said, it's easy and it works very well, even if it does take a little time.

muchacho
06-14-2004, 09:13 PM
go buy candy cigarettes, they taste good

CloudySky
06-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Why? What's the reason? What's a life without silly and stupid things we can do? The ocean of boredom...

Rye
06-14-2004, 11:02 PM
The nicotine gum, maybe? The kid people chew when quitting, so that you slowly get used to not taking nicotine.

Ouch!
06-14-2004, 11:09 PM
He said no nicotine gum or patches.

I agree with Big D, it's a lot easier to slowly ween yourself off of them than stopping cold turkey. Also, like others said, don't go/do anything that you associate with smoking for a while. If you have friends who smoke... er... don't know what to do about that.

Rye
06-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Oops, didn't see that. Sorry.

I think that you should just keep yourself busy, then. If you're too busy and occupied, you won't think of smoking when you're trying to quit.

SomethingBig
06-15-2004, 01:35 AM
Pocky (http://www.1point.jp/~shiratori_mika/img/pocky.jpg) and YanYan (http://freewebs.com/batsugal/YanYan.gif) are the best choices. Man, they are so good.

DocFrance
06-15-2004, 01:48 AM
SUNFLOWER SEEDS! Best way to ditch the habit. They're also good for you.

The Wandering Zero
06-15-2004, 06:04 AM
Or, you could acknowledge the fact that the air we breathe every day has more cyanide and pollutants in it than a cigarette, throw good health to the wind, and live it up because you only get one chance at this thing called life (and nobody cares who believes in reincarnation, until you have rock solid, undeniable scientific evidence, stfu), so you might as well do things you enjoy. I, happen to enjoy smoking cigarettes, I like to blow the smoke out in smoke rings, I like to let it roll out of my mouth, I like just about everything about cigarettes...

<.< But if you are going to quit, cold turkey is the answer. Just remember, you are no longer physically addicted to nicotine after three days, you just have to work on telling yourself to stop.

Much harder said than done.

Also, don't listen to these people, putting other stuff in your mouth is just going to make you want to smoke more. When I say cold turkey, I mean you just stop and when you think about a cigarette, do something else, don't think, "What can I do other than smoke a cigarettes? Oh, chew on some gum!" Try something more like, "I think I'll go and play a video game." Getting irritated? Pop in Halo and try going through the Library on legendary without dying.

Nobody is going to denounce you just because you failed quitting. Anyone who has been a serious smoker (at least up to a pack a day, if not more) knows that quitting isn't something you just do. It's a pain in the ass and makes you want to kill everyone around you in a very violent fashion.

Peegee
06-15-2004, 06:08 AM
xD not everybody has homicidal tendencies

The Wandering Zero
06-15-2004, 06:09 AM
No no, everybody has homicidal tendancies, it's just that very few are as open about them.

Leeza
06-15-2004, 07:14 AM
I'd have to agree with Wandering Zero. I used to smoke for a little while, but I quit on a dare. There was no way that I was going to go back on a dare so I had to quit cold turkey. It was hard, but I was able to go through it. After that it was actually easy to keep from having a cigarette as long as you kept the <i>big picture</i> in mind. Now I can't stand the smell of someone who has just had a smoke. Yuk.

BatChao
06-15-2004, 07:25 AM
It's a pain in the ass and makes you want to kill everyone around you in a very violent fashion.

Haha, yea, I agree with that. I remember my roomate tried to quit before (or at least cut down), and he gave me his packs of cigs and told me to only give him three a day, so I held onto them for him and gave him three a day. It worked okay... but the worst thing is that all our other friends smoked all the time so whenever we saw them, my roommate would ask to let him smoke some of theirs (and for some reason or another I find it that smokers never really want each other to quit...) so they always let him smoke theirs. This one time my roommate had already smoked all three of his for the day, and my other friend came over and was smoking and my roomamte asked if he could smoke some of his cigarette, and he was gonna let him, but I reminded my roommate that he couldn't because he had already smoked three that day. But my roommate wasn't having any of that, so he went for the cigarette, but I blocked him from it and told him again that he couldn't. I kept blocking him from getting the cig and then he got all crazy and pushed me away really hard, grabbed the cig, and smoked it before I could stop him. After that, I learned never to get in the way of a smoker and his cigarette... ESPECIALLY if they are really irritated and trying to quit, or they might kill you.

Yrkoon
06-16-2004, 01:52 AM
thanks for all the tips yesterday i smoked 6 instead of 30 couldnt go cold turkey but wont have much choice tommorrow ive made sure of it.

all my remaining tobacco will be smoked tonight thanks to me getting drunk (smoke more when drinking) and i only have enough money for 20 smokes but gonna spend that on crisps or bubble gum :)

keep the tips coming finding em helpfull :)

HOOTERS
06-16-2004, 05:32 AM
No no, everybody has homicidal tendancies, it's just that very few are as open about them.

I'd have to agree with Wandering Zero

:eek: I knew it. You're a psychotic killer with a chainsaw aren't you and you're so sick and twisted you probably keep the heads you cut off and then stick them on your many cats that you also cut their heads off and then you put them in your head pile and then you eat the head pile and then you sleep standing up in the headless body pile. Psycho. :smash:

Leeza
06-16-2004, 06:19 AM
You got a Spy Camera on me, Hoot?! :twak:

:catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile:

HOOTERS
06-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Oh...so you do look behind that cupboard in the bathroom. :sweat:

Leeza
06-16-2004, 06:49 AM
On occasion...when I have to clean up all of that blood. :radred: :catsmile:

HOOTERS
06-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Once a month then? :monster::cookie:

EDIT: Wait...I don't even know why I said that. You're WAY too old for that to happen anymore. :smash:

Leeza
06-16-2004, 06:57 AM
No. Everyday after I carry out my decapitations with my chainsaw. :smash:
:catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile: :catsmile:

EDIT: *decapitates Hoot*

HOOTERS
06-16-2004, 07:00 AM
:goofy:

This is a good example of SPAM! :smash: ~ Leeza

black orb
06-16-2004, 07:18 AM
>>> Just eat the cigarettes instead of smoking, and you`ll start to hate them..http://ffenv.com/random/puke.gif

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-16-2004, 09:36 AM
u could make urself physically tired ie. go running.....amd go to sleep....i use that to help stress.....try it.....though i have never smoked before.

starlet
06-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Just smoke a whole carton in a day! you'll get sick and won't want anything to do with 'em! Don't listen to me... :twak:

Spiritus Sancti
06-16-2004, 11:47 AM
My mum chewed lots of chewing gum when she quit, it worked well because she'd been smoking for years but she managed to do it.. although I guess that black shadow she had on her lung helped with motivation.

Loony BoB
06-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Take a one-sided bet with your parents. Give them something that's very dear to you (if you don't have hard cash) and tell them not to give it to you until you've quit. You could give it to a friend, too. They won't lose anything so they'll happily take the potential free cash, and you'll have more insentive to quit because you know something's on the line. The longer you take, the more you should pass over to the person.