PDA

View Full Version : Suikoden

Del Murder
06-14-2004, 05:24 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about this series around the forums yet I don't know anything about it. Can someone clue me in on the gameplay and basic storyline? Also, which part is the best? I saw III used at EB Games the other day but after reading the back of the box I hesitated because it didn't sound very fun. Is the style like any of the Square games? I've played a lot of RPGs (mostly SNES ones) and it would be helpful to know which game it would compare to. I need a good RPG to play when I finish with FFI even though I might just end up playing X-2 again.

Thanks!

Kirobaito
06-14-2004, 05:36 AM
I've also considered buying this game.

I've never played it, but I know that II has Luca Blight in it (who is supposedly a veteran fan GOD) and it has a whole bunch of characters. Like, over 100 characters. Going by that fact, I would compare it most to Chrono Cross. There are levels in it (obviously), and you equip your characters with all kinds of armor (ff6 style), I think.

Hope this helps you. I'll see if I remember to go to Gamestop tomorrow so I can pick it up. In fact, I'm reminding you to remind me to. I'll give you a newbie's view at it.

Masami
06-14-2004, 08:45 AM
All I know is that my good friend loves Suikoden and highly reccomends it. As soon as I finish playing a bunch of other games that I need to finish, I'm going to borrow the games from her.

Jebus
06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
The Suikoden series is one of the best I have ever played. I have yet to play III, but I heard it wasn't as good.

Anyway, in Suikoden I. You play as the son of one of the five great generals of the Scarlet Moon Empire. A little ways into the game, you ( I doubt this counts as a spoiler, but just in case learn just how corrupt the emperor has become and end up joining the liberation army. You are also given the task of finding the 108 stars of destiny. So yes there are 108 characters, but not all of them are combat. Some are shopkeepers, a couple are gamblers, etc. On a scale of 1-10 I rate this one a 7

Suikoden II was the best of them in my opinion. You start out as a soldier in the Highland army's youth brigade, but there is a raid on your camp and you're forced to escape. You later find out that this was orchestrated by Prince Luca Blight of Highland so he could start a war with the city-state. Once again you must find the 108 stars, but for the most part they're different people. Anyway, the story, music, etc. is much better than the first. I give this one a 9.

White Raven
06-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Suiokoden owns. The basic story line from the first two are basically a kid, and all the friends he makes, try to overthrow an evil empire with the help of the Rune Stones. In each game you eventualy get a castle and you recruit the 108 Stars of Destiny. You can have up to 6 characters in your party, but some of the characters are too big and they take up more than one place. It's turn styled battles and sometimes you can do combo's with your party members. As for magic, if you equip a rune stone, you can do that magic.

Yes this is a great series with endless plots and sidequests to do. Even the cooking mini-games are pretty fun. These games are a must play, with quality countless hours of game play in them. I highly reccomend them.

(PS: Clive also owns)

Raistlin
06-15-2004, 04:49 AM
Suikoden II is the best RPG ever made. Period.

Suikoden I is excellent for a first-in-a-series game. Damn good plot, good characters, good bad guys. Introduced new styles of gameplay.

In Suikoden I, you end up being a part of the Liberation army as it tries to rid the nation of a tyrannical empire.

Suikoden II is everything S1 is...and so much more. It is, gameplay style, an improved version of S1, with new plots, some new characters, and a nifty new major battle system(which owns). This plot is more kingdom vs. kingdom, as one tries to invade and take over another. S2 also has the BEST BAD GUY OF ANY RPG EVER MADE: Luca Blight.

Suikoden III, IMO, is not as good as II, but since II's the best game ever made, that's understandable. The three-points-of-view thing sounds lame on paper, but it's actually very well done(especially since Geddoe kicks so much ass it's not funny). Suikoden seems to have the RPG-monopoly of implementing revolutionary new systems without being lame as hell. I think the major battle system is a step down from S2's, and the world map is definitely a step down, but overall it's still a great game(probably 4th on my list of "Best RPGs"). A couple of the same characters, and you hear mentionings of events of S1 and S2, but since the time period's 50 years after S2, you don't get any spoilers or anything if you play S3 first. The random and boss battles for S3 are also much better than those in S1 and S2.

So yeah. Suikoden is the best RPG series, infinitely superior to Final Fantasy. S2 is really hard to find, though. But it's definitely worth looking for.

If you have any questions, go to Fool's Gold, where we have an actual Suikoden forum. :D

Del Murder
06-16-2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the info on the story but I'm more interested in the aspects of the gameplay. Are all three for PS2? Maybe I'll try to find II on ebay.

The Captain
06-16-2004, 05:09 AM
III is on the PS2 my good Del. The first two were released for the the original Playstation. II is sometimes elusive to find, so perhaps Ebay is the best way to go.

Take care all.

Raistlin
06-16-2004, 05:18 AM
Del: you asked for the basic storyline. >=o

Heh, anyway, a general gameplay rundown:

Suikoden I:
Very simple gameplay. The runes are a simple magic-system that anyone can easily grasp. The major battle system also is not complex, and it basically boils down to a more-complex version of "rock, paper, scissors." The gameplay's not what makes this game great, but it does make in unique.

Suikoden II:
A big step up from S1. The rune system is much more developed, and the major battle system is excellent, and actually involves strategy. The random battles are similar, though.

Suikoden III:
Another big step-up. Even regular battles take a little more strategy with the "buddy-system", meaning for each battle your party of six is divided into three pairs. For each pair, only one character can do a "major action"(use magic or an item), and the other one either attacks regularly or defends. For becoming stronger, it's also not just about leveling up, but also gaining skill points and putting those in strategic skills for the various characters(it's tough to explain, but trust me, it's nifty). However, I think the major battle system for S3 is a slight step-down from S2, but it's still great.

Strictly gameplay-wise, Suikoden III is the best of the lot. Overall, though, S2 wins, hands down.

Del Murder
06-16-2004, 05:32 AM
I asked for both, and now I got both. Thank you everyone. I'll see if I can find part II, you don't need to play the first one to know what's going on, correct?

Raistlin
06-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Not really, even though there's only like 10 years or so apart story-wise. You get some of the same characters, and you get can one extra possible character if you've beat S1 and have a save at the last save spot.

I played S2 first. I reccomend playing S1 first, but you don't have to.

LH
06-17-2004, 05:44 PM
The only one I played was the first one, and that was many, many years ago so my memory is a bit foggy on it. From what I remember, it was quite short but it was a blast to play. There were some larger scale battles too, like army vs. army, and that was pretty cool to do. The cover art was really stupid though, but that's pretty much the only bad thing about the game. If I can find it in EB I'd be sure to pick it up.

DMKA
06-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Suikoden II is the best RPG ever made. Period.
I get pissed off by this statement.

List of other games I've heard this same exact statement several times applied to:
Xenosaga Episode I
The Legend of Dragoon
Crono Cross
Dark Cloud 2
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Wild Arms
Wild Arms III

All games that I STRONGLY dislike...now I'm discouraged from playing it because of fear that it will sure...I swear every game someone says that about ends up sucking.