PDA

View Full Version : arg -.- problems with PC

eternalshiva
06-14-2004, 11:21 AM
I noticed lately that alot of search engine bars have installing themselves on my pc. I've run my spybot programs and all that yummy stuff but it's not picking up anything. Also I noticed that when I shut my computer down, it does the "End Now" thing with something called hpccmd.exe. Any of you computer gurus can tell me how to remove this problem? We barely go on the net now due to FFXI so I'm curious to know how this is happening. We have Cable for connection. Does that have anything to do with it? This started like a week ago, we've had FFXI for well over a month.

crono_logical
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Are your spybots (Spybot, AdAware) both up to date? What version of Windows are you running? I've no idea what that hpccmd thing is. A long shot to try but won't hurt you by trying is looking in Add/Remove programs in the control panel and uninstalling anything suspicious in there. After that, also run "msconfig" from Start > Run, go to the Startup tab, and untick any startup items there you're not sure what they do, though you want to be careful since some things like nvidia/ati goodies might look cryptic while other viruses etc. pretend to look like other system things. Maybe post what you're unsure about here. You might find the hpccmd thing there too and can disable it.

Barely browsing the internet and not using the internet are completely different things - even using Internet Explorer just once is a security risk. You should consider replacing it with Mozilla or Firefox as soon as possible. Run Windows Update to patch known security holes. Even then, if you're running FFXI, you have an active internet connection during that whole time you're playing, so a web browser isn't the only possible way your machine can get attacked. Running a firewall helps this, even if it's the crappy default Windows XP one, since that's better than no protection at all. Firewalls that can check the actual programs running on your PC trying to access the internet are better though - such as Tiny or Kerio. ZoneAlarm does this too, but it's not a firewall I'd recommend or ever install on my PCs as it can also give headaches when that fails, even if Tiny/Kerio are more complicated to use.

eternalshiva
06-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Thanks Arche, I'll do that tonight when I get home ^_^ that was a huge help. I have Windows XP and I download all the updates constantly when they are available. My computer has gotten so rotten slow I'm positive it's infected with something. I'll do a massive clean up and most likely get Mozilla, I'm getting way too many problems with IE and it's giving me a headache.

Everything on my computer is updated and it still can't search and destroy the search bar engines that keep installing themselves on my desktop and Internet Browser, It's a huge piss off. I'll have to dig in there I guess.

Should I do it for the multi desktops on the computer? Maybe I should cancel the multi desktops to control the problem ... does that make a difference?

I had to disable the firewall for FFXI to run smoothly, it kept booting me off the game *sighs* I'll have to figure something out.

crono_logical
06-14-2004, 07:31 PM
The firewall is configured wrong if you have to disable it for a program to work. What firewall is it?

I don't know what multi desktop thing you're talking about though. If you mean multiple users, then no, if anything, that's safer if not all of them have admin rights on the machine.

Flying Mullet
06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
It's a long shot, but another thing you might want to check is if there are any programs installed on your machine that you don't care for.

Go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel and see if there is any junk that you can remove. Sometimes the bars that are installed in your browser will show up as programs there so that you can remove/delete them.

Baloki
06-14-2004, 07:57 PM
even using Internet Explorer just once is a security risk.

You are such a scare mongeror :D

Ok, for the search engine toolbars, firstly the MSN one, it installs itself with MSN Messenger, to remove, goto Add/Remove Programs and Remove MSNQuickBar.

Google, added by clicking on the wrong link, Add/Remove Programs again to remove, called the Google Search Bar.

Yahoo Bar next, usually installed by either singing upto a Yahoo service or the dreaded Yahoo Messenger, remove via Add/Remove Porgrams again, usually called the Yahoo Browser Bar.

Now to get rid of any other bars, simple to find out what they are, start up internet explorer and record the time, close it and then wait a min. Then just goto the Add/Remove programs and check all the times, any that programs that were opened at the time you recorded and look like a search bar remove :D

Now the firewall stuff, ready? :D
If your using Norton Firewall (Internet Security depending on the version). Open it up, goto options and then look through for the ports button, click that and set the port FFXI uses to be open. The other option is run FFXI then while its running minimise it and click the little tickbox that says always do the selected action on the window thats popped up then go always allow or allow in the drop down list :D

Mcaffe, find out the port of FFXI, then go through the options and make sure the port is open.

ZoneAlarm, uninstall it, it doesn't work with online games or networks!

Hope that helps somehow :D

eternalshiva
06-14-2004, 08:46 PM
You rock Baloki ^_^ all that stuff worked! uber! I did a massive clean up of my hard drive, took me two hours to clean up all the crap off there that I knew no one installed, downlaoded all the patches to everything changed ports for my computer and FFXI, my firewall is back up and uber! my computer is back to being fast and no more booting off the game! hurah!

*huggles Arche, FM, Baloki* thanks guys ^_^

crono_logical
06-14-2004, 11:07 PM
You are such a scare mongeror :DIt's true though, you can't deny it :p

Flying Mullet
06-14-2004, 11:10 PM
even using Internet Explorer just once is a security risk.You are such a scare mongeror :DIt's true though, you can't deny it :p
That you're a scare mongeror or that IE is a security risk? :p

Dr Unne
06-15-2004, 12:12 AM
IE is a security risk. You can get IE to run arbitrary code just by creating a specially formatted link, in one of probably a couple hundred ways. Among other things.

crono_logical
06-15-2004, 03:53 AM
That you're a scare mongeror or that IE is a security risk? :pIf you find me telling you exactly as it is scary, then that's your problem :p

Baloki
06-15-2004, 09:49 AM
That you're a scare mongeror or that IE is a security risk? :pIf you find me telling you exactly as it is scary, then that's your problem :p

I just find it funny :D