PDA

View Full Version : The scourge of reality shows

Strider
06-15-2004, 07:02 AM
God help us.

I've been watchin' ABC for a little over an hour now, and I've already seen two horrific ideas for reality shows.

The first: "The Ultimate Love Test". Four couples allow themselves to see other people for a shot at $100,000. Hilarity and heartbreak (more of the latter than the former) ensues. Really, if you're willing to put a relationship on the line for a quick buck, you can't really call it love, can you? Seriously.

The second: "Wife Swap". Dear Lord. They didn't actually show anything, but it somehow reminded me of two New York Yankee pitchers that basically swapped lives back in the 1970s. Yet another very bad idea.

Who green-lights this kind of garbage? It's no wonder they're worried about bad ratings.

What do you think of the newest generations of reality shows? Discuss your opinions on other reality shows, if you like.

Kirobaito
06-15-2004, 07:08 AM
There have been two "reality" shows that I've ever watched: The Mole and WB Superstar USA. I watched the Mole because, it really was a cool show. It allowed the viewer to get into the game, and play along. Every single season now I've been able to tell who the Mole is by the 4th episode. A very cool show.

I watch the WB Superstar for mere comedic value. It is so funny that these people think that they are good, and the hosts of the show tell them so. It ended today, and I'm amazed at how well the final 3 took the news that they were lied to when told they were good singers. But it was still funny just laughing at Mario say he was a sex god and such.

But the new batch, I despise. FOX makes the worst shows in general (I feel sorry for the Simpsons :() and especially the worst reality shows. I've seen one episode of Survivor, and that was the first episode of the first season, and never have I seen another. American Idol? Nah. The Bachelor? Hell no.

I generally am not a fan of reality shows, except for a few. I think most of it is garbage.

Rainecloud
06-15-2004, 07:36 AM
The second: "Wife Swap". Dear Lord. They didn't actually show anything, but it somehow reminded me of two New York Yankee pitchers that basically swapped lives back in the 1970s. Yet another very bad idea.

We have that show in the UK, and it's awful.

I don't know why companies continue to churn out these awful shows, as I certainly can't imagine them receiving a large viewing rating. I suppose they're feeding what they believe to be "The Demand", but I believe they're slightly off the mark when it comes to what people really want to watch.

BatChao
06-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Reality shows are funny, and people watch them, so they will continue to make them. I don't watch em, but they are good for a laugh when I happen to flip to one when I'm browsing channels.

Peegee
06-15-2004, 01:45 PM
'wife swap' sounds like all of the nagging with none of the sex. It is a UK show so that's probably where I got the idea from.

Some reality tv shows are fun to watch. Take that silly average joe show. It was downright hilarious watching a bunch of...well, losers vying for the attraction of a woman. I wish I watched it earlier so I could confirm that hypothetically the 'most manly' of the un-manly would be 'most-attractive'.

Oh well, it was all moot when the hotties came. Duh.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Theres something about Miriam

funny, yet horrible and surprisingly sympathetic to all parties involved in the show

Project G
06-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I hate reality tv. The creater should be killed

The Captain
06-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Don't look now, but there will also be "Family Fear Factor" this coming summer, which means the whole family can enjoy eating bugs!

It's very sad to see how much TV has regressed. I barely watch anything now besides sports, news, The Daily Show, Chappelle's Show, and reruns of The Simpsons, Futurama, and Family Guy.

Take care all.

DMKA
06-16-2004, 01:41 AM
And people tell me I'm dumb and weird for not watching television...

Yeah, they're all pretty nausiating now (atleast the ones I hear about). The last one I heard of was "The Swan"...gather up a bunch of 'ugly' women in a house and make them over with these 'miracle working makeover artist', then the one that they make pretty gets a bunch of money and some other stuff while the other is kinda like: "Well sorry your still ugly...not even we could help you! Now go home bye bye!"...way to boost a womans self esteem eh? :thumb:

TheAbominatrix
06-16-2004, 02:00 AM
I cant stand reality tv.

The one part that faintly amuses me is that it shows basic human greed in all it's forms. People are willing to lie/cheat/steal/eat bugs/marry someone they dont know/degrade themselves for money. Sad, but still somewhat funny.

Outsider
06-16-2004, 07:57 AM
Reality shows... It's the single worst idea for a TV show someone could have. The fact that this idea is actually a success is a tragedy.

It's like my faith in humanity wasn't already depressing enough, and they HAD to create new ways to make it even lower.

The funny thing is what I said to a close friend some years ago, when "Reality Sows" were something new... I said something like: "Forget about it, man... It will never work. People are not THAT stupid".

In the end, I'm stupid enough to believe that the general public is not stupid enough...

Germ Hamee
06-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Reality TV pisses me off, and it makes me even more angry that people are actually watching that shit. The stuff is taking over, and quality TV is being pushed out of the picture to make room for it. You don't need talent any more to make money, or be famous. You just need to know how to be a vicious drama queen, and you're good to go. It's putting good writers and actors out of jobs. It scares me, really. I can see in ten years there not being anything left of scripted television on the airwaves.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were more creative about it. But the dating game has been done before. The I will do crazy things for money thing has been done before. Murder in Small Town X? Now that was a good reality show. That completely flopped and never saw another season. >.< Sometimes I just want to beat people senseless. Why do you watch the crap you do? Who cares about the people bitching and moaning on Survivor? Who cares who wins the money? Gah.

DMKA
06-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Who cares about the people bitching and moaning on Survivor? Who cares who wins the money?
Apparently, alot of people...I made a thread awhile back about how much I hate "who cares", and this is exactly why. -___-

The thing I really can't stand about 'Reality TV' is that I thought TV was like videogames and movies...it was supposed to entertain us through showing us images of whats not reality, or stuff thats art refelcting reality, ect...apparently, thats not the case...now its just dumb people watching more dumb people...not that I'm saying everyone who watches these shows is dumb, or that people are dumb for watching them, but the bulk of people I've seen that would say "OMG I MUST NOT MISS FEAR FACTOR TONIGHT!" or "Oh I must see who gets kicked of Survivor tonight!" were people lacking the minimum 12 fucntioning braincells.

System Id
06-16-2004, 09:34 PM
I hate hate HATE how reality TV keeps growing and thriving while genuinely good shows hardly even get a chance (I MISS FIREFLY). Television is slowly destroying itself, I tells you.

Freya Coral
06-16-2004, 10:33 PM
The only "reality" show I can stand to watch is Fear Factor. I HATE most other reality shows, such as The Swan :mad2: , Big Brother, Real World, Road Rules, and especially all those stupid "dating" shows. It's not even "dating"--most of the time they end up in a Jacuzzi where tops and bottoms are flung off and the sudsy talk revolves around (what else?!) sex. :mad2:

Del Murder
06-17-2004, 01:30 AM
I don't like most of them, but some of them are good. Survivor is good, probably because it started the whole craze. I also liked The Apprentice because of the interesting jobs Trump made them do, even though I don't like how NBC promoted it. Basically I can do without the drama and would rather just see the competition, but drama is what gets ratings so oh well.

Calliope
06-17-2004, 03:09 AM
I don't know what you people are talking about. Reality shows are great! Sometimes I don't feel like sitting around doing nothing, but thanks to reallytelly, I can sit around and watch OTHER people sit around and do nothing! Score! :D

Casey
06-17-2004, 05:28 AM
Me, I never liked them. I think there stupid, like that show on Mtv. The Real World, it cant get any realer then this! Go outside and experience the real world.

Montoya
06-18-2004, 03:27 AM
I agree with most people here. I don't like reality shows. And unlike some people, I am saying I dislike all of them. I have a life of my own I don't want to waste watching other people have problems, or challenges(I have enough of my own). :D

Dingo Jellybean
06-18-2004, 04:47 AM
I only like Fear Factor. It's hilarious making people eat things they wouldn't normally eat.

There was this one show where one girl had to eat deer testicles, here's the quote:

"*munch* Mmmm, this is good...*throws up*"