PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair? (I'm being serious)

DMKA
06-15-2004, 01:01 PM
I was just thinking...

1. Why is it you think that men grow facial hair? I mean...whats the scientific purpose...or what was it? And why don't (most)women (naturally)grow it if it does/did indeed have a purpose?

2. Guys: Do you have facial hair, or are you a clean shavin' guy?

2. Gals: Do you prefer facial hair on your man, or do you prefer a clean shavin' man?

1. I dunno thats why I wanna see what others think.

2. I have a goatee and I keep it that way cause I don't think I look right without it...I think I look horrid without it...ugh.

COMMENCE! :spin:

Meat Puppet
06-15-2004, 01:04 PM
1. I grow it to keep warm.. I guess some think it shows maturity.. or gives others that "scruffy" look. I don't actually think too much about facial hair.

2. It's cold at the moment so I probably haven't shaven in a while, I guess I will when I feel like it.

Peegee
06-15-2004, 01:40 PM
I have a 4 foot long beard. I dyed it yellow

Actually I shave. :D

Citizen Bleys
06-15-2004, 01:43 PM
It varies from person to person. If you see a mustache or a goatee, it's probably just a matter of style--the person likes how it looks. Others grow winter beards to help keep a little warmer (it's not really effective) in the winter time.

Personally, I'm clean-shaven, because I've been working in fast food for four years, and it's *required*. This weekend is my last weekend in fast food, though, so I'm going to grow a winter beard for sure this winter. Beards look like hell on me, but I don't care.

Actually, I was considering growing a beard starting at the end of my last shift at Wendy's, just because I can now. I dunno. We'll see how things go.

Peegee
06-15-2004, 01:47 PM
wtf you work in fast food? But you're so overqualified!

Citizen Bleys
06-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Not anymore, tool.

DocFrance
06-15-2004, 02:52 PM
I have to keep it clean-shaven, except when I'm on leave, as I am now. I haven't shaved in two weeks :p

muchacho
06-15-2004, 04:07 PM
i dont grow enough facial to have a beard, so im clean shaven. but my brother can have a full beard in about a week.

Raistlin
06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
I have a job, so I keep clean-shaven.

Bleys: you should definitely grow a beard. Although then we'll have to switch from Inspector Gadget jokes to something else.

Mikztsu
06-15-2004, 04:22 PM
Guys: Do you have facial hair, or are you a clean shavin' guy?

I'm generally a clean shaving guy, but sometimes I'll grow some on my chin. Right now I'm having kinda messy beard, since I haven't bothered to shave in few days. Sometimes I like growing a hermit beard, just because it looks like what it looks like. :)

m4tt
06-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I have hair on my chin. I grow it for a little while then I normally shave it off. I think the longest I've ever kept one is two months. I'd like to keep it, but it starts to look weird after a while. I need to buy some of them beard trimming tools.

Iceglow
06-15-2004, 04:35 PM
why do we guys have facial hair? well so do some women it's just less noticeable seriously look to mediterainian women for moustaches and beards that or old people. :D

As for me personally, when I was 12 I started shaving by the age of 14 I could grow a full beard in about two weeks, at 16 I sported a goatee and moustache for two years (only cause it stopped people asking for ID at pubs and clubs) then at 18 I shaved it off for £100 (a girl said she'd pay me to get rid of it as she fancied me and wouldn't pull me with it she said "it ruins an otherwise rugged good looking guy") since then I'm clean sometimes if I'm lazy I'll leave it for a week then curse at dulling two wilkinson sword classic blades in one shave. but most often at least every other day I take it off same with my armpit hair as it reduces the level of BO on hot days wearing black or a suit.

Jebus
06-15-2004, 04:53 PM
1. No idea

2. I have kind of a goatee.

escobert
06-15-2004, 04:55 PM
See above post

Leeza
06-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Gals: Do you prefer facial hair on your man, or do you prefer a clean shavin' man?

Clean is better. The scruffy look is okay, but not everyone can pull that off without actually ending up looking scruffy. :)

Rainecloud
06-15-2004, 05:02 PM
1. Because it looks more masculine? Plus, it's great for catching fallen biscuit crumbs.

2. I occasionally let my facial hair grow to about 2-4 millimeters, but no more than that. I'm usually quite clean shaven, as I don't like the look of facial hair. I hate long beards. They look ugly.

Yamaneko
06-15-2004, 05:59 PM
I haven't shaved in about a month. I think I'll keep the beard a little bit more.

TasteyPies
06-15-2004, 06:04 PM
I try and keep shaved or my dad makes fun of me :rolleyes2

I guess it was so guys could keep warm while hunting during the ice-age, women didn't need face fur cause they just sat in the cave all day eating bon-bons

Burtsplurt
06-15-2004, 07:00 PM
I usually shave every day, largely because of work. When I'm off, I generally don't bother shaving at all. I prefer the way I look with stubble (i.e. messy - I'm not one of those that can make stubble look fashionable!).

Dingo Jellybean
06-15-2004, 07:06 PM
I shave every night. I hate the slightest hint of hair on my face other than on my eyes and head.

If I don't shave, usually a beard or mustache comes apparent within a few days...and yes, I'm a metrosexual in a sense...so I like to keep clean shaven.

metCloud
06-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Im clean shaven now because its summer, but when winter comes around I will probobly have a beard of some sort.

Kirobaito
06-15-2004, 07:13 PM
1. Why is it you think that men grow facial hair? I mean...whats the scientific purpose...or what was it? And why don't (most)women (naturally)grow it if it does/did indeed have a purpose?
They think it makes them look more like a man. It could keep them warm, I suppose.

I haven't shaved in a few days, so I have a little bit of a stubble. But normally I rarely shave in the summer. During the school year I keep myself clean-shaven.

RSL
06-15-2004, 08:22 PM
I have a beard. I hate shaving. Also, I think I look worse clean shaven. Don't know what others think, don't really care either.

Lord Xehanort
06-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Facial hair? I don't even keep my body hair! I shave everything except my eyebrows, eyelashes (those would hurt to shave) and my scalp cover (for lack of a better word).

Giggles
06-15-2004, 10:24 PM
I like moustaches on some guys. I like a beard on the oldest brother. I like clean-shaven on my other older brother. I like blond guys to be clean-shaven.

Or something!

"Fun" Fact:

If you chew (tobacco) then you can get TONGUE HAIR. And I knew a guy that had to shave his tongue. How's THAT for body hair?

Psychotic
06-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Usually clean shaven, but like, if I don't have to go to college for a week or whatever, I let it grow before shaving it off. *lazy*

Rinoabella
06-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Clean cut is better.

Spiritus Sancti
06-15-2004, 11:14 PM
1. The scientific purpous was to keep us warm being mammals, as for why women dont grow it i dont know..maybe we evolved that way
because women were used to staying in while men went out and worked/hunted whatever

2. I just let it grow until to many people tell me I need to shave.

Fuzakeru
06-15-2004, 11:43 PM
I know women with facial hair. Tis a rather unappealing sight. -shivers-
I like the clean shaven look but I also dig the scruffies. ^_^- I just don't like full out beards. Santa Claus beard = NO!

The Wandering Zero
06-15-2004, 11:45 PM
ZZ Top proves that beards own.

Zell's Fists of Fury
06-16-2004, 12:09 AM
I haven't shaved since november and I have no noticeable facial hair.
Go me.

bennator
06-16-2004, 02:12 AM
1.) I have no idea... personally, I think facial hair is gross.

2.) No, because I think it is gross, and my girlfriend thinks it is gross. Those two opinions seal it for me.

SeeDRankLou
06-16-2004, 02:48 AM
1. Men growing more facial/body hair that women is probably something genetic, possibly induced by testosterone. Which would explain why women get some facial hair sometimes.

2. I don't like hair on my face, and I don't really care for it anywhere on my body either. I have hair on my head, and I don't do anything to my legs because it's too large an area and I'm lazy. However, I find that if I shave more than once every three days, the likelihood of me cutting myself increases 80%. My dad is getting me a Norelco electric razor as a late birthday gift though, can't wait.

LH
06-16-2004, 03:45 AM

I think it boils down to conformity. Why do so many people have identical beards? To look alike, to belong. And why do people have wacky beards? Probably to purposely say "I don't want to look like everyone else, and I'll go as far as looking like a total jackass to get that point across." I guess that was a bit harsh, but the point I was trying to make was that you can tell a good deal about a person from their choice of facial hair. The typical goatee says "I'm just a regular joe, just like everyone else."

Just personal preference, but I don't like having a beard. Every random guy seems to grow a beard thinking it's cool or something. I disagree. I used to have a beard many years ago, but now the only reason you'll find hair on my face is when I have one too many consecutive mornings where I wake up too late and don't get around to shaving my face.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
06-16-2004, 09:28 AM
1. hormones probably

2. try and keep it clean shaven....imean im still in school afterall

Squall and Rinoa
06-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Hormones would be the best answer for the first question.

Secondly, I like having a 5 oclock shadow. Not much more than that. I've tried different styles with my facial hair, and some girls tell me that some ways would add a LOT of years to my overall facial structure. I'm only 21, but I've been told I look like 27 before with the facial hair done a certain way. Clean shaven is not something I'm after most of the time.

Loony BoB
06-16-2004, 12:49 PM
I grow a goatee unless I'm with a girlfriend or unless it gets too annoying. Kinda like Matty, I guess - once every 2-3 months or so it gets the chop. More often than not the same time I get my haircut. Otherwise, yeah, if I'm around a girlfriend then I'll probably shave. Sometimes I shave if I have one-time guests over or something.

Levian
06-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Clean shaven yes, unless I forget to shave of course, which tends to happen every now and then.

Dingo Jellybean
06-19-2004, 05:44 AM
I was thinking of getting the new Gilette MAch 3 Power, the green powered razor that "lifts hair" so you get a closer shave. Has anyone used this?

I mean other than waxing, I can't imagine a better way to have a clean face than to shave. But I do like my Schick Quattro. :)

User Name
06-19-2004, 05:47 AM
I have a Zorro / Tupac Shakur goatee. I'm Egyptian though so it looks very good and chicks dig it.

Tokki Wartooth
06-19-2004, 05:58 AM
It depends on the guy. But generally, I like my boys scruffy.

Silmaril
06-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Ugh, clean shaven mortals. But i don't mind a slightly scruffy/stubbly dude as long as it suits him. :love:

Ariel
06-19-2004, 10:52 AM
1. It evolved to keep prehistoric male's faces warm while they hunted? To camoflauge their faces while they hid in dirty bushes stalking their prey? Or maybe it was to make them look more attractive to the females? Like how some birds have colourful plumage to impress their mates. No idea. =|

2. A little scruffy can suit some guys, but I mostly prefer clean shaven.

VampireCrono
06-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Women and Men generally have facial hair and back hair etc. Reason why you don't see it so often is because, which girl in society today wants to have a beard? And sometimes beards don't look good on guys. Women shave a lot of hair off, sometimes men do too. I leave a little bit of facial hair on my face because I think it looks manly.

And by the way I think hair in general (hair everywhere! back, legs....and yes even down there -_^) is meant to keep you warm, and maybe protect you from some weather conditions. It's better than nothing right?