PDA

View Full Version : Pc-cillin 2003 firewall

syun_ukiya
06-16-2004, 06:08 AM
Just a question, if i install pc-cillin firewall will it deplete my cpu resources and is it worth the install?

Baloki
06-16-2004, 12:10 PM
If your using another firewall then it is not worth installing. If it isn't then install it, it will protect you against most of the web nasties and yes it will use about 2-5% of your system reasourse and probably needs more then or at least 64mbs of ram to run :D It won't use all the ram but thats the way it works :D

crono_logical
06-16-2004, 02:35 PM
All software firewalls will use CPU, yes. I have no idea about deplete though - it might only do that if you're transferring at really high speeds like in the order of MB/s to/from hundreds of different hosts at once, otherwise if it does it at low speeds, it's a pretty crap firewall. Only firewall I've ever seen do that though (and hence is crap) is ZoneAlarm. 64 MB sounds excessive for memory usage for a firewall too - mine has over 100 filters in, I'm usually transferring hundreds of k/s normally while I'm here at uni, and my firewall has only peaked at 6 MB memory over the past few days.

Baloki
06-16-2004, 03:32 PM
64 MB sounds excessive for memory usage

I was meaning more like you'll need that to run it on your system as 98/ME use about 40 just on their own.

syun_ukiya
06-19-2004, 04:50 AM
i've read something that pc-cillin firewall is useless, is there a truth in that?

crono_logical
06-19-2004, 08:02 AM
All firewalls are useless if you set them up wrong. The bad ones are the ones that are useless even though you've set them up as correctly as possible depending on how it allows you to set it up :p Stuff like BlackIce Defender and the XP Firewall :p

Baloki
06-19-2004, 10:15 AM
All firewalls are useless if you set them up wrong. The bad ones are the ones that are useless even though you've set them up as correctly as possible depending on how it allows you to set it up :p Stuff like BlackIce Defender and the XP Firewall :p

Zonealarm is crap however you set it up.

Norton is the best but you have to spend about a half hour going through the wizard.

crono_logical
06-19-2004, 04:19 PM
Yes, Zonealarm is crap, I'd certainly never install it on my PC, but at least it's more flexible than the XP one :p

Baloki
06-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Yes, Zonealarm is crap, I'd certainly never install it on my PC, but at least it's more flexible than the XP one :p

Not really as the XP one doesn't work :D

crono_logical
06-19-2004, 04:43 PM
It's enough to block Blaster/Sasser attacks, I'd say it has limited functionality at the very least :p

Baloki
06-19-2004, 04:47 PM
It's enough to block Blaster/Sasser attacks, I'd say it has limited functionality at the very least :p

I suppose, although it more often then not just blocks all data not from a Microsoft site.