PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Communication

Loony BoB
06-16-2004, 12:39 PM
How do you most like to be contacted from someone for the first time? Say online and offline people.

Online, I like PM's. PM's make me happy and they're a lot tidier than emails (most of the time). I like random PM's, I like serious PM's, I like casual PM's and I like help-seeking PM's. They're jus so... spiffy.

IM's are my least favoured online communication because I don't have much time lately, and when I do IM people I tend to avoid getting into a good conversation because I know that I move in and out of my room (where my computer is) a lot, and I don't want them to expect me to reply insantly (so much for the I). I like #eoff (EoFF's chatroom) more than 1-1 stuff for these reasons. Still, if I do have the time and am up for it, a good chat can't go too far wrong, especially if it's a more understanding friend that knows me well enough to know that I can take up to fifteen minutes to reply to what they say sometimes. :p

Telephone is always great. I can talk on the phone for ages. Anyone who has talked to me knows that I'm pretty comfortable on the phone. I also love voices and accents and stuff, so that makes it even further my bag.

Offline, obviously face to face is good. For some reason, I also like emails from offline people, even though I don't like getting emails from online people. I'm just a little bit weird like that, I guess. The only thing I have a lot of trouble with is IM's with offline friends. It's somehow very different and doesn't feel quite right. If I was to get into a long online conversation with, say, Nicky (Calliope, who was my best offline friend in the city I lived in two years ago), I would probably prefer to phone her than continue the IM-conversation. Which is probably why we don't have many long online conversations.

In conclusion:

First time online contact: PM (Go on, do it).
Good online friends: PM, IM, Phone, Letters.
First time offline contact: Face to face.
Good offline friends: Face to face, email, PM, Letters, Phone.

Ouch!
06-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Online, I IM a lot, and rarely use the private message functions on any of the fora I visit. I only send emails to people when I have some kind of file attachment they wanted from me. I don't have phone conversations with people over the internet 'cause I don't like to hand out my number. The only reason I've had a phone conversation with someone I know online was because my girlfriend gave him my phone number, not too bright of her.

As for people I see face to face almost never use the phone. I IM all my friends like crazy, it's just how everyone communicates around here. I hate the phone 'cause I hate leaving messages. I'll talk to my friends any time face-to-face.

Food offline friends:
Food?

Peegee
06-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Y'know the only reason you're on my aim list is because it's my practice not to block/erase anybody, right? Of course you didn't :D

I like IMs. PMs are okay but if a person on my IM buddy list PMed me, I would respond via IM. IM is more personal, like a phone call, but easier because you don't have to deal with the uncertainty of whether a person is around, will pick up the phone, or away, or whatever the case may be. When considering IMs, in theory I can/should be able to message a person when s/he is in 'online' mode. In fact I get pretty frustrated if I message somebody who is obviously in 'online' mode but get a response like 'omfg I (was playing a game/was away/swirling around). wtf'

Telephones suck. I always feel I need to package my message, and God forbid I get an answering machine. I dispise talking out in the open to myself. Much like the idea of 'talking to the wall', I find talking to an answering machine to be the same.

IRC is just spam. That doesn't count.

In real life one-on-one conversation is iffy. It really depends on the person and whether they can handle me. In fact before Sugpo realised I was asian and blocked me he kept harping that I was incoherent and random. *Shrug*

Food offline friends

Loony BoB
06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Food?
I don't know what you're talking about.

Erdrick Holmes
06-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Online: I like either AIM IM or a full fledged email.
Offline I like it when I'm called via telephone.

Yamaneko
06-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Online: PM / Email; something where I'm not expected to type something just for the sake of it.
Offline: Face to face

Levian
06-16-2004, 03:00 PM
First time online contact: PM, chat.
Good online friends: IM, chat.
Good offline friends: Face to face.

Somehow, I hate e-mails :D

Food friends, eh? *eats one*

Mikztsu
06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Offline: Face to face. I'm much better person face to face, than via phone, et cetera. I just often run out things to say on phone ( depends on the people though), but never run out of things when face to face. It's hard to explain.

Online: any way you can contact me is just fine. You are most likely to reach me via PM/email though, since I'm not on messengers every day, and when I am, I normally use it only 30minutes - 1 hour. Final Fantasy 11 on the other hand...:) Yes, you can contact me in FFXI easily, if on the same server.

Agent Proto
06-16-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm open for anything. I've been talking on the phone a little more, especially to my girlfriend. :D

Rusty
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I love recieving IM and talking to people through IM, but recieving e-mails is good.
Offline talking to my friends on the phone or face to face comes out equal but recieving a letter though the post gives me warm fuzzies :)

But thats only coz as soon as e-mail entered my life I rarely get letters in the post and when I do I make it into a huge event :)

Baloki
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Communication?

Ki Ki
06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
I like letters. Hand-written
Sure they take a longer time to reach you but then you really feel all warm inside when it finally does reach you.
You'll know the preson who wrote this letter to you cares about you 'cos he/she took some time to sit down and write to you. That's why a hand-written letter is the best.

White Raven
06-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I never letters, ever, to anyone. The biggest thing that keeps all my friends and I in "the loop" is MSofN messenger. Say I work all day, and I come home late and all my friends are all out. They leave their name as "At *insert bar*" and I can easily find them. Sometimes we talk via phone, but not all the time.

Baloki
06-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Where would we all be without Microsoft Networks, Internet Communication Querbles and American Online? Probably using Yahoo Messenger xD

eternalshiva
06-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I hate the phone ...
MSN if you want a detailed conversation with me. I love writting letters and I would much rather meet you face to face for anything but sometimes it can't be helped. E-mail I'm all for it. Chat = Hurah! PM - basically the same as e-mail so why not!

^_^

Kirobaito
06-16-2004, 06:02 PM
In 3 years I've only received about 80 or so PMs, and probably half of them are from offline friends. So I'm never really for that. I suppose the best and easiest way to meet me is on #eoff, because I'm on there 5-6 hours a day, and I actually respond, unlike most of the people there. :p I receive NOTHING in my e-mail, besides the occassional LJ Comment, but even those are starting to get rare. So IRC is my favorite place to meet online friends for the first time.

Offline I like it when I'm called via telephone.
So how do you like it when online friends talk to you via telephone? :p Or atleast leave random messages on your answering machine? :smash:

Offline, I can talk to you IM, I don't think it's weird in any way, because usually there's no way that a person can call me anymore (and I blame all of you for that). Face-to-face ain't too shabby either.

Mei
06-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Online: IM or PM because if people want to talk to me, what better way than in private?
Offline: Talking, whether on the phone or face to face. Although I get embarresed really easy and am quite shy, so I suppose phone.

Rainecloud
06-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Telephones are such a lossy format, and I hate them.

First time online contact: PM, LJ Comment, E-Mail.
Good online friends: MSN, PM, LJ Comment, E-Mail.
First time offline contact: Face to face...
Good offline friends: Face to face, MSN.

Mr. Graves
06-16-2004, 08:05 PM
On-line, I prefer IMs, as long as the person is decent. PMs are nice, too, I suppose. I like playing a guessing game via AIM, trying to guess who the new person is. I don't know....I just find that amusing.

Off-line, I'm never the best with face-to-face interaction. I prefer the phone, although face-to-face is rather nice.

Anyway...

First time online contact: IM, or LJ.
Good online friends: PM, IM, and LJ
Good offline friends: Face to face, IM, even no one I know offline IMs me, or even knows my handle.

bennator
06-16-2004, 09:09 PM
online: IM
offline: face to face

System Id
06-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Online: IMs. That's by far my main form of communication with people. I like e-mails too, not that I actually get e-mails. :cry:

Offline: Face to face. I hate talking on the phone.

Cz
06-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Online: PM or IM, though I rarely get any of those. :(
Offline: Face to face. The phone is just awkward.

fire_of_avalon
06-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Online I prefer IMs because I'm impatient and want whatever I'm saying to be responded to as soon as possible. Offline I like face to face communication because that allows us to actually go do something and have good times.

Rinoabella
06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Online: PM, but not IM.
Offline: Face to Face.

Psychotic
06-16-2004, 10:53 PM
I often IM people. And face to face as well. As I get to yell and act crazy.

escobert
06-16-2004, 11:11 PM
First time online contact: PM, chat.
Good online friends: IM, chat.
Good offline friends: Face to face.

Somehow, I hate e-mails :D

Food friends, eh? *eats one*
same here

-N-
06-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Online - IM.
Offline - F2F.

Del Murder
06-17-2004, 02:19 AM
I guess I prefer pms because you don't have to reply right away and it keeps the convorsation short. I prefer IMs with offline friends actually, because they know my mannerisms and how I am so I can type like I actually talk and they can get it. Plus this way I don't have to talk out loud which is something I don't like doing because I'm not very good at it.

Denmark
06-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Online:
First Time: journal, or through chat.
Later: AIM, MSN, journal, chat, or any combination. Or all, in the case of
Psychotic. :O!
Offline:
First Time: Face to Face, usually through school.
Later: Face to Face, AIM.

Calliope
06-17-2004, 03:17 AM
Messenger Pigeon, and then Smoke Signals, and then flailing wildly as you burn to cinders and the pigeons eat you and fly away.

The Wandering Zero
06-17-2004, 03:29 AM
Physical violence.

RSL
06-17-2004, 03:44 AM
I don't use PMs much, I don't use email much, don't use IMs much, don't use chat much.

So yeah.

HOOTERS
06-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Online: msn
Offline: face to face
Rollercoaster: loud hollering/sms

:goofy::smash:

m4tt
06-17-2004, 05:59 AM
I don't use PMs much, I don't use email much, don't use IMs much, don't use chat much.

So yeah.

Ditto.

I only use emails at work, so I can talk to the person sitting right next to me. o_o

Wind Shear
06-17-2004, 06:20 AM
E-mails, IM and Phones will do.

black orb
06-17-2004, 07:35 AM
>>> Online: e-mail and MSN..
I dont dig IRC interaction.
Offline: face to face, I dont like the phone.

Meat Puppet
06-17-2004, 10:05 AM
MSN is easier to talk to people with, althought I usually do a better job interrogating information out of people with my ugly eyes.

Polaris
06-17-2004, 12:40 PM
I prefer PM or e-mails. Otherwise for my school friends I have my cell phone and the normal phone.

Iceglow
06-17-2004, 01:29 PM
online I prefer a PM or and e-mail either way is fine i'm rarely online for a IM conversatino as the connection I use is a crap college one with no open ports for msn.

Offline I prefer a face to face meeting if possible other than that prefer a hand written letter through the post cause I can tell more about a person by their handwriting than by their voice...for example i've had a Cd and a letter sent from Xander and she has nice bold clear handwriting which makes me think she is a person with a bright outlook on life and is content or happy with where she is in her life.

TifaStrife16
06-17-2004, 05:07 PM
Online: I prefer AIM. Emails are OK too.
Offline: For meeting someone, I'd say phone. I like to get to know someone before I really meet them because I'm really shy around new people.

Dingo Jellybean
06-18-2004, 04:39 AM
IMs are the way to go online, but I seldom get on AIM anymore anyways.

Offline, I would say person to person in a comfortable setting...but not too close though. I'm not a comfortable speaker talking under a foot away. I normally like to talk from a distance, like 3 yards or so.

Casey
06-18-2004, 04:42 AM
online:msn

offline:1.in person
2.phone

DMKA
06-18-2004, 05:43 AM
Online: Yahoo! Messenger

Offline: Screaming over a distance to each other