PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Weapons vs. Custom Weapons

Flying Mullet
06-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Okay, some of the Celestial Weapon side-quests suck, like Lulu's. I find it much easier and more beneficial to build my own super weapons for people rather than try some insane side-quest for a weapon that has some abilities that I don't need.

Granted it technically should be easier to do the sidequests rather than get enough of the rare items to add an ability, but I find it easier and less frustrating to just build 'em myself.

Screw Caldabog, I'll make my own weapon that's much better.

TasteyPies
06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Agreed, best to buy a variable steel and super sexify it to the max

Jecht Shot
06-16-2004, 07:15 PM
The problem with custom weapons is that they don't have the ability that celestial weapons have (which is to ignore an enemy's defense stat). Thats why celestial weapons are better.

Cz
06-16-2004, 09:03 PM
However, custom weapons have the ability to ignore a solid hour of lightning dodging or butterfly catching, which makes them infinitely better. :D

Flying Mullet
06-16-2004, 09:25 PM
However, custom weapons have the ability to ignore a solid hour of lightning dodging or butterfly catching, which makes them infinitely better. :D
Exactly. :thumb:

Jecht Shot
06-16-2004, 09:45 PM
touche!

SeeDRankLou
06-16-2004, 10:52 PM

You give up too easily. Did you get 1000 jumps on FFIX? Now that was annoying and unnecessarily time cossuming. I would much rather dodge lightining 200 times in a row. Lightning dodging is just rhythmic, if you stood in the same spot, you got a pattern. Butterfly catching is just memorizing a pattern, it doesn't change. While I did power up the Caldabog, I will support the notion of screwing the Caldabog. You can only get that crest through pure luck, which is annoying.

Celestial weapons have the ability to ignore defense as said before, but also have special power ups depending on if certain conditions are met. If Auron's HP is low, the weapon will do a lot more damage. Yuna and Lulu's celestial weapons have that One MP ability, and when their MP is high, they do more damage. With this combo, Yuna and Lulu's attacks can stay with high damage for long long amounts of time. You just don't get these things with custom weapons. And I wouldn't imagine it would be easier to build weapons with four powerful abilities like the ones on the celestial weapons, especially Break Damage Limit. Furthermore, if you don't power up your celestial weapons, most of your aeons won't get the Break Damage Limit ability. The means in my opinion very much justify the ends.

Flying Mullet
06-16-2004, 10:56 PM
You give up too easily. Did you get 1000 jumps on FFIX? Now that was annoying and unnecessarily time cossuming. I would much rather dodge lightining 200 times in a row. Lightning dodging is just rhythmic, if you stood in the same spot, you got a pattern. Butterfly catching is just memorizing a pattern, it doesn't change. While I did power up the Caldabog, I will support the notion of screwing the Caldabog. You can only get that crest through pure luck, which is annoying.

Celestial weapons have the ability to ignore defense as said before, but also have special power ups depending on if certain conditions are met. If Auron's HP is low, the weapon will do a lot more damage. Yuna and Lulu's celestial weapons have that One MP ability, and when their MP is high, they do more damage. With this combo, Yuna and Lulu's attacks can stay with high damage for long long amounts of time. You just don't get these things with custom weapons. And I wouldn't imagine it would be easier to build weapons with four powerful abilities like the ones on the celestial weapons, especially Break Damage Limit. Furthermore, if you don't power up your celestial weapons, most of your aeons won't get the Break Damage Limit ability. The means in my opinion very much justify the ends.

For me none of the above benefits are worth it. You deal enough damage with 255 strength that ignoring the enemies defense is a wasted benefit. And as I typically do maximum damage being able to do a little more damage due to a special weapon is again pointless.

I would rather spend a couple of hours gaining enough items to customize a weapon rather than trying to win one of the Celestial Weapons, again as half of the abilities are pointless to me.

Also, I never use Aeons. Having three party members that I can control is much better than using one aeon or the Magus Sisters whom I can't control.

SeeDRankLou
06-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Ah ok, we have different strategies. I use aeons sometimes, just to liven things up. And I have always gotten and powered up the celestial weapons before I was even close to doing maximum damage, so that's why I say that it helped.

Flying Mullet
06-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah, good point.

Both strategies are good, it just depends upon your playing style.

DocFrance
06-17-2004, 05:19 PM
It also depends on how much of your life you're willing to give up. I've only ever bothered getting Yuna's Nirvana and Auron's Masamune - those two are by far the easiest to get. Haven't tried getting Rikku's Godhand, though, but I've heard that's easy as well. And the first time I beat the game, I didn't have any celestial weapons.

Lord Xehanort
06-17-2004, 05:56 PM
While I did power up the Caldabog, I will support the notion of screwing the Caldabog. You can only get that crest through pure luck, which is annoying.

Huh? The crest is in Yunalesca's lair. You just need to go back to Zanarkand after you beat her. There's a chest in there with the Sun Crest. Simple.

The only Celestial Weapons I maximized were the Caladbolg and Nirvana. They're the easiest. For Lulu, I bought that Cactuar weapoon from Wantz in Gagazet (the 112,000 Gil one) and just added One MP Cost. Good enough.

Flying Mullet
06-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Huh? The crest is in Yunalesca's lair. You just need to go back to Zanarkand after you beat her. There's a chest in there with the Sun Crest. Simple.
He meant the Sigil, which you get from the chocobo race after a time of 0:00:00.

Lord Xehanort
06-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Oh yeah... EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL!

Cz
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
You give up too easily.

No. I'm just very sarcastic.

SomethingBig
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
The Sigil was easy to get. I don't see why people had such a hard time with the Chocobo mini-game. That was probably the only thing I liked about FFX.

DocFrance
06-17-2004, 08:12 PM
The Sigil was easy to get. I don't see why people had such a hard time with the Chocobo mini-game. That was probably the only thing I liked about FFX.
Ugh... just thinking about it gives me stomach pains.

Ultima Shadow
06-17-2004, 10:41 PM
I'll say it depends on what battle you will use the weapon in. The Celestial weapons is the only weapons that can deal 99999 damage to the strongest Dark Aeons and Penance.

SeeDRankLou
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM

The Sigil was easy to get because you got lucky early. Skill can only take you so far with that mini-game. The balloons and occurances of birds have to be aligned somewhat properly to acheive 0:0:0 time. And that's really the long and the short of it, feel good that it happened to you early.

SomethingBig
06-18-2004, 11:39 PM
It actually took me three tries to finally understand the movements of the birds. If you have good reflexes and good eyes, then it's simple. You just need practice. Luck doesn't exist.

aeris2001x2
06-19-2004, 01:02 AM
I'll say it depends on what battle you will use the weapon in. The Celestial weapons is the only weapons that can deal 99999 damage to the strongest Dark Aeons and Penance.

very true and it takes long enough to beat penance doing 99,999 a hit.

to be honest beating penance without celestial weapons is probably impossible since even at max str u do crap damaged, hence, it would be impossible to kill the arms in time, leading to being oblirtated by mega gravitons and judgement day. so yeah the celestial weapons are by far the best there is and did,nt take long to get at all. yes some sub quests are annoying but nothing is THAT difficult, while the 1000 skipping in ffIX was riduculous.

SeeDRankLou
06-19-2004, 01:08 AM
You just need practice. Luck doesn't exist.

I laugh in your face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :love:

Three tries, good job. But there is a difference between the movement of the birds, and the pattern of the birds. The pattern is what's important, and how it corresponds to the pattern of the balloons. Not to mention, at about the 2/3's mark of the race there is a point where you can't even see the birds coming before they nosedive you. And toward the end of the race you have about 3 milliseconds to move out of the way because the birds pop up so close to the finish. And I swear some of these birds are heat seaking. It can be done, and skill can be involved in making it easier, but the pattern is what's important. Since the pattern of birds and balloons is given randomly by the PS2, as well as how well the chocobo trainer does, skill can only take you so far. Luck by far exists in this particular mini-game. If randomness exists, luck exists.

Del Murder
06-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Maybe it's a combination of both. I never beat that game, but I found the lightning easy.

AeonOfDarkness
06-07-2005, 02:14 AM
The celestial weapons rock and heres why:

Think of Lulu's Onion Knight for example.

It allows her to cast spells for only 1 mp cost. Then teach her the ability Doublecast. Then Ultima. and dont forget her magic boost ability. Now if you can put 2 and 2 together...

Doublecast Ultima for a total of 2 mp cost. (Ultima is a 90 mp cost spell)
and thanks to magic booster, it does over 4x the dmg per turn for less than 3% of the cost!

If you dont use Aeons, Celestial weapons should be the way to go.And if u do use Aeons, you sould get these anyways. I dont even use Lulu, Wakka or Kimhari. I stick with Yuna, Tidus, Auron, and sometimes Rikku for steal and Overdrive.

Heres a little readout of the weapons.

Masamune (Auron):

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
First Strike
Counter Attack
Deals more damage when Auron's HP is lower

Spirit Lance (Kimhari)

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
Double AP
Evade & Counter
Deals more damage when Kimahri's HP is higher. The weapon looses effectiveness when his HP is lower

Onion Knight (Lulu)

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
Magic Booster
One MP Cost
Deals more damage when Lulu's MP is higher. If her MP is low, the weapon looses effectiveness

Godhand (Rikku)

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
Double AP
Gillionaire
Deals more damage when Rikku's HP is higher. If her HP is low, the weapon looses effectiveness

Caladbog (Tidus)

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
Evade and Counter
Magic Counter
Deals more damage when Tidus's HP is higher. If he looses too much HP, the weapons effectiveness decreases.

World Champion (Wakka)

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
Double AP
Evade & Counter
Deals more damage when Wakka's HP is higher. The weapon looses effectiveness when his HP is lower

Nirvana (Yuna, See strategy above)

Break Damage Limit
Triple Overdrive
Double AP
One MP Cost
Deals more damage when Yuna's MP is higher. If she looses MP the weapons effectiveness decreases

Key:

Break Damage Limit- Just like it sounds, inflict beyond 9999 dmg (up to 99,999)

Triple Overdrive- Overdrive gauge fills 3x as fast

Double AP- Doubles the amount of AP after each battle (duh)

One MP cost- do i even have to say it?

Evade and Counter- Dodge better, and counterattack (basic eh?)

Magic Booster- boosts the strength of blk magic attacks

Magic Counter- Same as counter attack only against magic

First Strike- Be the first on the field to attack!

Gillionair- I forget what this does........but its really nice.........

And in case you didnt know, you can create each ultimate weapon with 40 dark matters. (Getting the dark matters though, is like the chocobo race x1,000,000,000. You have to kill arena monsters (the special kind) to recieve 1 dark matter. Or you can win a Blitzball tournament for 1 darkmatter.)

fire_of_avalon
06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
While I'm sure some people appreciate the detail you went into, this thread is nearly a year old. Please don't revive dead threads.