PDA

View Full Version : Best Final Fantasy To Introduce To A Newbie

The Captain
06-17-2004, 02:28 AM
So, I'm attempting to get a friend of mine into RPG's, and obviously Final Fantasy, which brings me to the question, which one should she play first?

The obvious choice would probably seem to be Final Fantasy I, but I've opted for Final Fantasy IX first because I feel it has a very user friendly style, a nice laid back plot for most of the game, and also many components that are in a lot of the other games, whilst other FF such as FFVIII with junctioning and FFX with the Sphere Grid use said features that are exclusive to their games alone.

What's your take?

Take care all.

-N-
06-17-2004, 02:34 AM
FFVII. Not too complicated or difficult, and an amazing storyline.

SpiritWolf
06-17-2004, 02:34 AM
IX was truly my first Final Fantasy and it got me hooked on the series so I recomend that you have your friend try that game first.

DJZen
06-17-2004, 06:00 AM
I can honestly reccomend FFVI. It grabs you right off the bat with a wonderful storyline, solid combat, and great characters. However, if your friend is spoiled by modern eye candy..... hmmmmm.....

The Captain
06-17-2004, 08:06 AM
I was actually debating between 6 and 9, but choose 9 because, to me, the story felt a little easier to follow. She's never played an RPG before, and I felt that FFVI might be a tad too, I suppose, studied and learned for a first game. Thanks for the input though, as I certainly agree with you about 6.

Take care all.

Polaris
06-17-2004, 09:03 AM
FFVII, then IX, then VIII!

Rusty
06-17-2004, 09:15 AM
Lots of people got introduced to Final Fantasy through FFVII, so I suggest that one...dont forget to show her FFVIII :)

Mo-Nercy
06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
RPGs will always sound like too like effort and time to someone who has never played one before. So I would go for a comparitively short FF such as 8, 9 or 10.

I suggest 9 because it's the more 'traditional' style RPG. After playing 9, I'm sure she'll be able to handle any other RPG as well without any confusion or trouble.

Cz
06-17-2004, 07:15 PM
VI or IX. They bear quite a resemblance to previous titles in the series, so you'll know what to expect from other FF's (unlike FFVII, which had a unique style, dissimilar to that of the other games). Also, these two titles have a great pick up and play quality, that makes them great for RPG newbies.

Ultima Shadow
06-17-2004, 07:28 PM
I think IX is the the easiest to begin with.

The Captain
06-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Seems the general opinion agrees with my choice.

FFIX was, for me, the most easy to learn how to play, and easiest to explain to someone completely new to RPG's.

Take care all.

Trumpet Thief
06-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Final Fantasy IV of course!

Estes
06-18-2004, 10:10 AM
i believe VI is the best one to start with but i suppose thats because thats the first one i beat. but still it has everything plus one of the biggest casts of characters in final fantasy, and each one is memorable.

Seryn Kai
06-18-2004, 11:48 PM
My first FF was 7 and I was hooked with that, so personally, it's the one I'd recommend newbies to start on.

CloudySky
06-18-2004, 11:56 PM
FF7, FF6. I wouldn't give FF9 to someone new in FF world. It's worst one of FF series, it's just too childish and easy.

Del Murder
06-19-2004, 08:31 AM
FFVII was the first for a new generation of gamers, and is pretty much responsible for the success of the franchise and RPGs in general in the US today. So I would have gone with that one.

Your friend will not be able to fully appreciate IX without first playing the rest of the series.

The Captain
06-19-2004, 08:38 AM
Hmm, I never thought about it that way good sir Del. I suppose, since she's already begun playing the game, it would be too late to switch now. Instead, if she enjoys the game which she seems to be, then I'll take her backwards to an earlier game.

Come to think of it, I don't think I even FULLY appreciate IX yet.

Take care all.

Edgar
06-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Darn, I'm too late!

You should progress from FFI onwards! It is the foundation after all :(

The Captain
06-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Thanks for your input Edgar. That was a thought initially, but for some reason, I wasn't sure if she'd be able to get into FF1, so I didn't start there.

Many thanks, though.

Take care all.

eestlinc
06-21-2004, 05:28 AM
I think ff4 is the most straightforward for a new player. ff9 would be good but it's so much better when you've played the rest of the series. ff9 is probably the easiest to start on as far as gameplay, availability to buy, cheapness, etc.

escobert
06-21-2004, 06:06 AM
FFVII was the first for a new generation of gamers, and is pretty much responsible for the success of the franchise and RPGs in general in the US today. So I would have gone with that one.

Your friend will not be able to fully appreciate IX without first playing the rest of the series.
Agreed

Cz
06-21-2004, 09:16 AM
The only problem with playing FFVII first is that no other game in the series is like it. With it's unique setting and materia system, you might be disappointed when you play a more traditional title such as IX. If you start with IV or a similar title, you can almost guarentee that you'll enjoy I, II...and pretty much the rest of the series.

AaronD
06-23-2004, 04:21 AM
i started on ffII or ff!V whatever for SNES when i was about 10, and i mean if i can play it when i was 10 and enjoy it anyone can

escobert
06-23-2004, 05:22 AM
The only problem with playing FFVII first is that no other game in the series is like it. With it's unique setting and materia system, you might be disappointed when you play a more traditional title such as IX. If you start with IV or a similar title, you can almost guarentee that you'll enjoy I, II...and pretty much the rest of the series.
This is very true. It took me a long time to actually enjoy playing the other FFs since I started with 7.

black orb
06-23-2004, 06:31 AM
>>> The first FF of course, there is nothing wrong with it. If your friend cant enjoy such great title, then your friend doesnt deserve FF fun..

Edgar
06-23-2004, 02:28 PM
If FFI wouldn't do, then FFIX should be good. It's the closest to the foundation of FF and the latest to date. Plus, it's fun :)

My first FF was FFVI, but I want never able to fully appreciate the revolutionary turn (FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, save FFTactics), introducing the none black mage, white mage storylines.

But whatever you do, I would highly go against introducing your friend with FFVIII. It's just not right imho =/ *casts flameshield* :P

auron_790
07-04-2004, 07:22 PM
My firts FF was FF7 but I think FF9 is good to start with your friend might get a bit confused on how FF7 has O as the main button and X as cancel.I got I bit confused with it when i played FF8 then went back to play FF7. FF6 has X as the main button that makes it even more confusing seeing as only 7 has O as the main button. So you should get her to start with FF9 definetly + its a great game.

PhoenixAsh
07-04-2004, 08:41 PM
auron_790

My firts FF was FF7 but I think FF9 is good to start with your friend might get a bit confused on how FF7 has O as the main button and X as cancel.I got I bit confused with it when i played FF8 then went back to play FF7. FF6 has X as the main button that makes it even more confusing seeing as only 7 has O as the main button. So you should get her to start with FF9 definetly + its a great game.

Out of everything you could focus on.....

I'd say VII, just because I doubt they'll play all the FFs, so might as well start with a safe bet. It's a good bridge game too I'd say. Not too set in the old ways, but not as different as VIII, (and by the look of it XII).

Kirobaito
07-04-2004, 09:20 PM
That's strangely true, auron_790. I had to change my controller settings when I played it because, well, those sucked. :D

I'd start with IX, probably, especially for a newbie, because it's got great graphics, oftentimes the, errr....measuring point for most newbies. It has a great storyline, great gameplay.

Cuchullain
07-04-2004, 09:25 PM
If they want to get involved, steer clear of the earlier ones, the graphics are kinda hard on the eye and the gameplay's actually harder. 8 is easy to pick up and follow, but the story loses itself before the end of disc 2, although I think it picks up again disc 4. 7 starts slowly, but not as slow as 8, but the problem with 7 is it's been done to death. 9 has a good story but takes a while to get into, 10 takes a while to fully enjoy although you can pick it up straight away, and 10-2 is faster flowing, more action RPG. I'd say go with either 9 or 10.

Sefie1999AD
07-04-2004, 11:32 PM
FFIX is a good game. It has a great storyline and nicely developed characters, and it's set on an interesting world with lots of traditional FF elements. Some of its cameos might be hard to understand, but it still lets you appreciate the old-school FFs better than by playing some new FFs, like FF7, FF8 or FFX. Even though FFIV is an excellent game and it's also a lot like FFIX, I thought it was the hardest FF game, especially with the Hard Type. That's why someone new to RPGs could easily get frustrated with the game.

The Captain, just remember to encourage your friend to play FFIX and tell her to have fun with it, and after that, try to get her to play some other RPGs too. :) It would also be good if she learns to like RPGs for their gameplay and story, not for their eye candy.

FFFreakX-2
07-07-2004, 09:38 AM
go with ten u cant go wrong! better graphics for your friend good story game u can pick up and just play its simple easy it has the turn based battle sytsem and the chars are great! But FF1 was a great game also but didn really have much of a char backround did it

escobert
07-07-2004, 03:25 PM
That's strangely true, auron_790. I had to change my controller settings when I played it because, well, those sucked. :D

I'd start with IX, probably, especially for a newbie, because it's got great graphics, oftentimes the, errr....measuring point for most newbies. It has a great storyline, great gameplay.
No way those were the best settings :) *loves his FF7 settings*

UltimateSpamGrover
07-07-2004, 11:41 PM
Final Fantasy V.

because it was the first FF to FULLY utilize the job system, and you see a form of it in 9 and 11..and it will let your friend understand jobs and etc... used in later FFs

EDITED : I know jobs were used in FF1, but when they evolved into Wizards and Blackbelts etc.. they had no purpose

Storm
07-08-2004, 05:48 AM
From my own experiences, I've only suceeded in getting a friend addicted to the FF series by exposing them to FFX first. Most people cannot tolerate the graphics from the old games, and the battle system is easy to get used to since the battles are not "active" or whatever.

Edgar
07-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Really? I'm disappointed now :(
Introducing RPG series through graphics seemed to be...er...unfair =(

Inuyasha23
07-10-2004, 01:50 AM
i started at tactics...unfortunitly i rented it and didnt touch another rpg until X (Which sucked)

start at tactics VII, or something like crono trigger