PDA

View Full Version : Midgar zolom

Sephiroth2088
06-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Has anyone else just killed the midgar zolom? I was so sick of giving chocobo billie my money so I just leveled up a bit and killed the stupid thing, of course it immediantly came back but gave me enough time to cross the swamp.

Erdrick Holmes
06-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I killed it, the sucker dies in 1 hit. I mean I have the Ultima Weapon so it's easy.

m4tt
06-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I killed it, the sucker dies in 1 hit. I mean I have the Ultima Weapon so it's easy.I'm pretty sure he meant in the beginning of the game, Joel.

I've always avoided him, it only takes me one try to cross the swamp on a chocobo anyway.

Raistlin
06-17-2004, 03:56 PM
That would take a lot of leveling up, Pete, 'cause the Zolom's really tough at the beginning of the game.

I just use the chocobo.

Evil_Cloud
06-17-2004, 04:58 PM
I always got the chocobo, but i didnt continue in the game until i got the Beta skill. I also got bored once and tried to make it across without a chocobo and without getting snagged by the Zolom, believe it of not I did make it across once. made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Ultima Shadow
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
On my Solo Character, Initial Equipment, No Materia quest I HAD to face him since I couldn't use the Chocobo materia since it was a 100% materia free quest. O my god! That snake wiped me out so many times. It was the trow away character from battle thing that took me out all the time.

System Id
06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I waited until Disc 2 to kill it (in one hit, of course), but my friend went ahead and killed him at the beginning. He's the kind of person who likes to be on level 47 before he even gets out of Midgar.

zacks_clone
06-17-2004, 10:17 PM
i killed the thing once, with ultimate weapon and on lv. 99...never did it again,because that thing scares me.

Haggard756
06-18-2004, 12:23 AM
when i first started, i killed it even though i wasnt at a high level, i was lucky i guess...

Laguna
06-18-2004, 12:29 AM
It can be killed, its just risky. I mean, it can remove one of your party members and then it casts beta when its almost dead. That'll knock off 1500 HP minimum. Still- nice enemy skill though.

TheAbominatrix
06-18-2004, 12:35 AM
I always got the chocobo, but i didnt continue in the game until i got the Beta skill. I also got bored once and tried to make it across without a chocobo and without getting snagged by the Zolom, believe it of not I did make it across once. made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've done that as well. It surpised the heck out of me.

Haggard756
06-18-2004, 12:45 AM
well i thought it was impossible to make it across without encountering it.....

Meow
06-18-2004, 01:24 AM
It just takes some extra conviction.

Some of our members are... bigger dorks than others.

:D

Sephiroth2088
06-18-2004, 01:32 AM
He's really not that hard but don't read any further if you want to figure it out yourself all you have to do is be about level 19 and make sure to have barret's Mindblow so you can steal its MP and it can't cast beta. As for getting across the swamp without facing the midgar zolom or riding a chocobo, if you wait until it's in the back of the left corner on your side you can just make it across.

Rinoabella
06-18-2004, 04:13 AM
That snake is actually quite scary, the way it creeps up on you and all. I think that everyone who beats it at that stage in the game should be proud of themself. I think it is possible to run across without a chocobo, and without getting caught.

Big D
06-18-2004, 10:51 AM
I used to amuse myself by returning to the swamp during disc three and slaughtering many thousands of Zoloms.
Well, not that many, but it's still entertaining to make short work of the serpent that everyone's wetting themselves over during disc one. Also, getting Beta, as has been mentioned, makes the Enemy Skill materia all the more powerful.

It's easy to avoid the Zolom even with no Chocobo... you just have to save your game when you're halfway across the swamp, before the Zolom gets to you. Then, if you're killed, just continue from where you saved. The Zolom will have to re-start from way back on the other side of the swamp.

Sephiroth2088
06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
When do you first get enemy skill materia is there any way to get it before you cross the ocean to costa del sol?

Haggard756
06-18-2004, 04:28 PM
well the first place you can get it is in the shinra building level 68.....thats way before costa del sol....

SeeDRankLou
06-18-2004, 08:54 PM
On my Solo Character, Initial Equipment, No Materia quest I HAD to face him since I couldn't use the Chocobo materia since it was a 100% materia free quest. O my god! That snake wiped me out so many times. It was the trow away character from battle thing that took me out all the time.

No you don't. As a few have said before, there is a point on the swamp if you wait until the Midgar Zolom is far enough away that you can run across and it won't have time to attack you before you make it to the other side. And I have also heard of a way where you start going across the swamp, and right before you get attacked you save and restart the game, and when you come back, you are at the spot where you were about to be attacked, but the Midgar Zolom is away from you again. That way is cheap, but it works.

Sephiroth2088
06-18-2004, 10:28 PM
It was in level 68 of the shinra building! Where was it? As for getting across the swamp without fighting the midgar zolom both ways that were mentioned do work as I have done them myself.

SeeDRankLou
06-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Right after the fight with HO512, the one that Red XIII helps you with. There's a yellow materia where Red XIII was trapped with Aeris.

Sephiroth2088
06-19-2004, 01:50 AM
Forgot about that one I usualy always go in there (everytime thinking I can use it as an elevator) just forgot this time oh well you can always get that materia and beta later.

BG-57
06-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Just be careful. By the time you get back to Midgar you'll have only one oppurtunity left to learn Trine. From Godo. So don't take him on until after the Midgar raid. I was able to equip two E-skill materia on Yuffie and learn Trine on both. The trick was to have the exact same learned E-skills on both.