PDA

View Full Version : Favourite setting, style, type of story, etc.

Eplebit
06-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I (and hopefully a few others) have began trying to create a RPG in Java for use on cell phones, and I need some input about what people actually want to see in a game. The game is supposed to be something like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger (probably more like the first FF, but I have to keep up hope, don't I?) when it commes to engine and such things, but setting, story and almost everything that has to do with design is still in the blue.

So... I wonder what do you want to see in a new RPG?
What type of settings do people like? The standard fantasy setting? Old mixed with new like in FFVII. Steampunk like in FFVIII? Sci-fi like in FFVIII and Star Ocean? Or take more from real history like in Shadow Hearts? I've thought of using norse mythology and a dark version of scandinavia around 1000 ad, and much more true to the actual stuff than Valkyre Profile and other games have been.
What type of story? I want something else than "Boy lives in silent backwater village. Village is destroyed for some reason. Boy sets out to save the world and discovers that he is special". What type of stories do people want to play? How do you like RPGs to start?
Save the world stuff like in most RPGs or a more personal quest like in Planescape: Torment? I want a more logical way why just a few people have to do the things they do than what is normal in RPGs, but is this a good idea?
Do you like light hearted story like in Lunar, or shoud it be darker like in FFVII? I'm not a big fan of light hearted RPGs myself, but I've seen that Lunar is loved around the world, so...
Should the combat system use random encounters, and should it use a system more like Chrono Trigger? At the moment I want a Chrono Trigger system, but it's much more difficult. So if nobody likes it I don't want to try creating one.
Should the battles be on a sepparate screen than when you wander around? Again almost Chrono Trigger against the world, and again the Chrono Trigger version is more difficult, so...
What kind of magic system do you like?
Etc.

These are just a few examples. As said, it would be great if you could give some feedback about what you want to see in a RPG. Feel free to add anything.

Btw: It's not like I truly belive that we will finnish this game, but we will try, and then see where it ends. At least it should have more of a chance than the 3D MMORPG using the D20 system that was our last project... And it's more fun than creating neural networks.

User Name
06-18-2004, 07:04 PM
FFVIII, Chrono Trigger, and Hawk's story in Seiken Densetsu 3 (desert style) would have to be the most stylish gaming experiences for me...I appreciate you mentioning "steampunk" by the way, I love that style but never knew exactly what to call it, would steampunk apply to such games as FFVIII, or is that more sci-fi?

What I want to see in an RPG...Def some of that FFVIII style.

Rainecloud
06-18-2004, 07:25 PM
I want an RPG to be a completely new experience for me. I don't want to predict and expect certain storylines in the game. It's just like reading a good book or watching a good film on television; if you know the ending, the book/movie becomes a lot less enjoyable.

Unfortunately, most RPGs tend to use the tried and tested "Save the endangered world, rescue the girl and defeat the insane villain" formula. Some RPGs do this very well, and others fail miserably.

I expect my gaming to be original. Unfortunately, nothing recent has met my standards.

Eplebit
06-22-2004, 03:11 AM
That is true. I don't want the story to become predictable. It's just that every story ever made usually fits into one or more of a few stereotypes. And as every RPG seams to be using the "save the world from big evil" style, I just wondered if that's what gamers want or something. As most games that tries to do something different fail to sell, it can look like people usually want to see what they know and love..

As for steampunk, it's as far as I know usually used when you take the "steam age", and then spice it up with some new technology. Some Jules Verne's books are good examples. They are also often pretty dark. Think of London when they still used coal. FFVIII has to many sci fi elsements I hink, and is somehow to bright. I also loved the setting in FFVIII though. It was refreshingly different from the medievil style that most RPGs use.

Xander
06-22-2004, 01:41 PM
The sort of setting I like? Think FFIX and FF:Crystal Chronicles.

Castles, medieval, all the sort of music from those two games... I don't like futuristic settings. Lots of cute things, a range of species for characters, chocobos to ride and no cars or guns.

For story, something original, an original idea, like the whole miasma thing in FF:CC and having to carry the chalice.

For magic/battle system I like FFIX's ability system but I also liked the sphere grid system of FFX a whole lot. On the other hand I like hand to hand combat like Kingdom Hearts or FF:CC, rather than an ATB/turn based system.

Erdrick Holmes
06-22-2004, 08:18 PM
I like the storylines where nations or planets are at war with eachother, one side is neutral while the other is either a pure tyrant or just pure evil. Only a select group from the good side along with a few trusty companions with uniqe gifts and powers must defeat the tyrant nation.