PDA

View Full Version : Published.......almost

SeeDRankLou
06-19-2004, 12:54 AM
So, I am attempting to get a research paper published. I sent it to Science magazine, it passed first review but still was declined. I will now rewrite it, add a few things, and sent it to Nature. Hopefully it will be published there.

So has anyone on here been published for anything....anything at all? And if so, what was it and how difficult did you find it to get published?

Leeza
06-19-2004, 01:21 AM
Good luck with Nature. :) What is the paper about?

No, I have never had anything published...or even written. :)

SeeDRankLou
06-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks for that. It's about a protein and finding it's structure and other things. I can't tell you anything because it hasn't been copywritten yet, and I think that means it's classified or something.

The Captain
06-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Wow, that's most certainly awesome! Best of luck to you in that, I'm sure it'll go through.

As for me, I've been fortunate to have work published in the NY Times "Week In Review" section, an editorial in a local newspaper, a short story in "The New Yorker", and a few letters in ESPN the Magazine. None would be anywhere near as impressive as a research paper though, I hope it works out!

PS: Why haven't you voted for the Ciddies yet?! There's still time!

Take care all.

Masami
06-19-2004, 02:59 AM
I wrote a poem that was published in some book of poems somewhere... I did it for a poetry contest, cause I wanted to win money, but I did not win.

Mikztsu
06-19-2004, 03:12 AM
Anything?

Mik was published (http://mikztsu.homestead.com/files/mikarticle.jpg). :D About 20 months ago.

...and no, I don't smoke often; just sometimes when I drink some beer.

black orb
06-19-2004, 04:13 AM
>>> Various years ago my picture was published in the Newspaper..

Tokki Wartooth
06-19-2004, 06:04 AM
Once I tried to send in this poem for a poetry contest, but I put the wrong stamp on it so it never got there. And that is my excuse for not winning. :|

Meat Puppet
06-19-2004, 09:33 AM
I keep trying to publish my short stories in a magazine, but I keep getting replies from the editor like ":love::love::love::love: off",etc.

Mo-Nercy
06-19-2004, 09:40 AM
I have two quotes on Bash.org

I do enjoy writing fiction but I've never had the patience to tough it out and write something long and original. I have written a few short fanfics though.

Good luck with your research paper.

Skogs
06-19-2004, 09:47 AM
I had a poem I wrote in fifth grade published in an anthology of poems by young Ameicans. Funny that, given that I'm not American... :p

Good luck with your research paper. I'll probably be churning out some of those in the not-too-distant future.

Baloki
06-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm trying to publish a book of some peoples work I keep on my site, however cafepress are pissing me off with something about a pdf writer so I'm not having much luck :(

Good luck with your paper though, getting published is a great thing :D

Rainecloud
06-19-2004, 10:54 AM
I wish you well with your efforts.

I'm in the process of writing a story, which I hope to have published some day. I'm not attempting to become a well known author, I'm simply trying to fulfil a lifelong ambition. Unfortunately, due to time restrictions, it's an on/off project at the moment.

DMKA
06-19-2004, 11:37 AM
I had a poem published in a poetry anthology and something else, and my pic published in a newspaper once.

Female Ryuichi
06-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Good luck with getting published!

Me, eh. I havn't done anything worth being published yet.

The Captain
06-19-2004, 06:43 PM
"Me, eh. I havn't done anything worth being published yet."

I honestly didn't think so either when I began sending things into various publishers, but you just never know what people will enjoy. Have confidence that you are writing and saying is what other people want to hear. Don't be afraid to try.

Take care all.

-N-
06-21-2004, 01:44 AM
I've only been published in classified documents at work.

eestlinc
06-21-2004, 05:42 AM
I wrote a cashier training manual for Wild Oats grocery stores, if that counts. I've had some poetry published in those poetry.com anthologies, although they mostly publish poems in hopes the authors will buy the book from them.

Hrony Old Geezer
06-21-2004, 07:03 AM
I got some of my poems published in the Broadmeadows Retirement Home newsletter. I wasn't very happy though because that old hag Mrs. Clarke editted out all the rude bits. I got her back by peeing on her rose bushes.

Ifrit's Bodyguard
06-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Biochemistry = good!!

I wish you well, if I ever go on to do post grad I'll be looking at getting stuff published but that's a big if. Can you give details if it does get published, sounds interesting!

SeeDRankLou
06-21-2004, 08:23 PM
PS: Why haven't you voted for the Ciddies yet?! There's still time!

I did. Just at 3am on the day it was about to close. You know what they say, procrastination is the best form of motivation. And I'm lazy.

Can you give details if it does get published, sounds interesting!

Yes, when it's published I can speak freely about it, but not until then. I have to do one more experiment (which I'm doing this week) and add that to the paper, and maybe it will be published then. One of the reasons it probably didn't get into Science is because they have a 1500 word limit, and I had to cut out a lot of stuff. Nature doesn't have that little a word constriction.

Nait
06-21-2004, 08:58 PM
I write a weekly column for the Washington Post.

Ok, I got nuffin.

nik0tine
06-21-2004, 08:59 PM
poetry.com has attempted to publish some of my poetry, but they were shady on the details and it seemed like a scam so i declined. i guess that means i have never had anything published other than a picture of me in the newspaper when i was a baby.