PDA

View Full Version : I hate these Pokemon-related shows.

Dingo Jellybean
06-19-2004, 04:43 AM
You know what I'm talking about. The MegaMan Battles, the Digimons, the Yu-Gi-Oh's...etc.

They are all based on the same concept. Let your character do battle as the person says "Yeah! Do your speciallaserthingamabooger!" That's it! It's so ridiculous. They say the trainer has to do all the hardwork...I DON'T SEE ANY HARD WORK AT ALL! Ash is so overated, all he does is yell Thundershock! Pikachu should be mature enough after all those battles to know when to use an attack, it's so pathetic. Not only that the trainers take credit for the battles when they hardly train.

These influx of Japanese cartoons, or anime, or whatever you want to call them, all stink. I miss the days of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and real anime like Ronin Warriors. :(

fire_of_avalon
06-19-2004, 05:09 AM
I'd like to preface this by saying I know what you mean about the generic anime formula. It does stink lots.

That being said... the way I read your post was hilarious to me. I really can't explain it but you gave me lots of good cheer just now :)

Del Murder
06-19-2004, 05:54 AM
They aren't that bad.

Peegee
06-19-2004, 05:56 AM
pffft TMNT is plotless claptrap. lalala Shredder is teh rule warld lol Krang is in a doll lolzzzz wtf!!111 TMNT make ninja jump sound hiya kick Shredder into the techno drome of techno music bump-zigga-zigga *windmills*

Anyway pokemon shows *are* silly. Ash does a bunch of things and I think the only thing I really enjoy is whenever he competes in the end-of-year tournament (and I think sometimes he doesn't even enter wtf did I watch the whole season for?)

Misc. pokemon-ish shows are boring because they lack that....next step/final battle. Yes digimon had to fight weird things at the end, and who knows what happens at the end of Yugioh. But after that they grow up 1000 years and everything changes. There's no reason to care about characters :(

But with Ash and Pikachu you (could) care -- they overcame wacky obstacles and won/lost/never competed in a tournament! :o

black orb
06-19-2004, 07:03 AM
>>> Pokemon sucks horribly, the other shows listed there arent that bad..

crono_logical
06-19-2004, 08:08 AM
These influx of Japanese cartoons, or anime, or whatever you want to call them, all stink. I miss the days of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and real anime like Ronin Warriors. :(That's because in general the crap ones are the cheaper ones to get permission to translate/localise and are suitable for airing outside Asia :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-19-2004, 09:12 AM
They can't show the good anime on US television because we might damage our youth more so than sucking the creativity out of them by forcing them to learn and conform to standardized tests in order for schools to retain their status with no funding from the government to aid this useless endeavor.

Masami
06-19-2004, 09:41 AM
They can't show the good anime on US television because we might damage our youth more so than sucking the creativity out of them by forcing them to learn and conform to standardized tests in order for schools to retain their status with no funding from the government to aid this useless endeavor.

Exactly. Don't judge anime based on the poo poo on American TV.

Shlup
06-20-2004, 03:10 AM
I kind of like Digimon. The rest are craptacular though.

Phil
06-20-2004, 03:39 AM
Good animes are
-InuYasha
-Big O
-Trigun
-King of Bandit Jing
-Rurouni Kenshin
-.Hack
-Tenchi
-Lupin the 3rd
The rest, I'll agree, can be quite bad sometimes, especially pokemon, digimon, and that new Card-game Master Kaijudo crap or whatever its called. I'm sick of card games and poke-crap.

Kirobaito
06-20-2004, 04:07 AM
I loved Pokemon for several years, but then realized that Digimon was a much better show and concept, so changed to that. It was a cool show for the first two seasons, then got pretty dumb after that. Yu-Gi-Oh I watch occasionally, because it's the only thing that comes on at 4:30 besides Oprah. It's really not that bad.

Bahamut2000X
06-20-2004, 04:31 AM
Digimon is a real good show actually, it only really got kiddied in the American versions, the Japanese evrsions were a bit more mature I hear. Besides look at later seasons, there's quite a bit of things in it that I wouldn't see in any American kids show.

But ya most of the others ones are crappy to begin with, the entire concept is just kind of stupid of a lot of them, and especially a lot of the charcters motives for what they do.

DocFrance
06-20-2004, 04:49 AM
I don't like it, so I don't watch it. I don't see the point in whining about it.

Mr. Graves
06-20-2004, 03:52 PM
The quality and plots of those shows suck, yes, but the animation is pretty fun to watch.

Ed, Edd n' Eddy
06-20-2004, 04:08 PM
are you kidding you guys watch these shows WOW im 13 and all I watch is Yu Yu Haksho.

Rusty
06-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Yu-Gi-oh and digimon dont even make sense to me...I dont like any of them...pokemon included.

Shoyku
06-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Give me my Samurai Pizza Cats back and I'll be happy.

escobert
06-20-2004, 05:33 PM
I watched the first season of Digimon and I liked it a lot. After that though it went downhill imo. I watch pokemon/yugioh only if I have nothing better to do or I'm waiting for food to cook on a saturday night and theres nothing else to watch.

Rainecloud
06-20-2004, 05:34 PM
They're all overrated, especially those dratted Turtles.

Baloki
06-20-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm not particularly keen on them no. Why not, because every episode is the same, its like a really bad video/computer game, all that happens is, OMG theres the pokemon/digimon/card weilding person I have been after, now I must do battle. Battle commences, then it looks like their going to lose. Then they win. Theres never really any suspense, you know their always going to win, or always pull out some stupid super thingie to win, its boring. However, most anime isn't boring, just ones that have been imported aimed at kids, if you make the effort to look around there really is some quality stuff, Nadesico is my fav at the mo, but thats another story that you guys don't really care about ;)

Cz
06-21-2004, 09:37 AM
I like the way that after all the electrocution, explosions, and general violence of these shows, the characters don't go out and conquer the world with their awesome power, but instead learn lessons about friendship, and help out passers-by.

blue_midget192
06-21-2004, 10:24 AM
Give me my Samurai Pizza Cats back and I'll be happy.

SAMURI PIZZA CATS!!! that ws great :)

cactuar_12
06-21-2004, 05:14 PM
I hate Yu-Gi-Oh. 4/5 of the time, everyone's just boasting about their next move, then the opponet talks about their counter, then the counterattack's counter, etc., getting 52 moves into a theoretical game when the actual game is on turn 1 or 5 or something. Pokemon used to be cool (sort of... I always liked the games better, although they have just too much merchandise), but now the show has almost no plot, crappy humor ("Pikachu's thunderbolt is one thing when you see it on TV, but another when you actually experience it!" Is that supposed to be funny?? WTF?!?), and crappy looking pokemon. Some don't look too bad, but even the names suck. I'll let them get away with Torchic, but Wurmple? Where does the -mple part come from, pimple?

Dragon Ball Z wasn't nearly as bad. Lots of times it was nothing but boring talk that sent people into daydreams, yes, but at least it had SOME action, and SOME humor. There's no crappy humor in DBZ, because they know when to keep their mouths shut.

*THIS HAS BEEN ANOTHER RANT BY cactuar12. PLEASE DO GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE*

Black Mage
06-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Who do you call if you want some pepperoni?

System Id
06-21-2004, 08:01 PM
I really liked the first season of Digimon. Good story arcs, good characters, good action. The show seemed to really go downhill after that, though. I don't know if I grew out of it or if it just kept getting worse and worse.

Ouch!
06-22-2004, 01:26 AM
I stopped watching Pokemon half way through the first season. I didn't like it much.

I only watched some of the first and second seasons of Digimon, but I watched the third one religiously. I just liked what they did with it. I haven't watched since, though.

I've seen on episode of Yu-Gi-Oh, and I don't think I'll ever watch another one.

Don't even get me started on any of the Dragon Ball series. That's a pile of repetitive crap.

I've never even heard of this MegaMan Battles thingie.

Honestly, I love anime, but find it difficult to get my hands on the good stuff. I would love to own the Evangelion and Gundam Wing series, but I just don't have the kind of money to buy every anime set I want.

Female Ryuichi
06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
I think the oringal Yugioh isn't so bad, if repeative.

I don't mind these, apart from two things-

People who think that's anime is all about and are mean to me about it :cry:

Pikachu. If it wasn't for that damned rat, I could say Pika all I want and not get funny looks.

(Pika means Shiney in Japanese so yeah....)

Keep on Shining!