PDA

View Full Version : free streaming indie radio

Peegee
06-19-2004, 02:24 PM
www.rantradio.com

Anyway, the idea is simple: use the internet to broadcast a bunch of indie (really indie, a lot of the programs don't sound professional) radio shows. I've been listening on-and-off for two days and have only heard two shows, this...sean kennedy ranting, and some geek show (which is mildly entertaining if I can pay attention to it while surfing). I don't necessarily agree with the views expressed, but it's great.

Now the topic: USA was/is going to implement some bizarre laws forcing radio stations to have some standards, like documenting copyrighted songs played on air, licenses, the usual stuff. One of these stipulations is to document listeners. I have no idea whether this is for radio wave radio stations or just internet streams, but it's pretty weird.

Anywho, if you bothered to care, what do you think about indie radio? Should just anybody be allowed to broadcast whatever they want? The whole site is hyping the idea of 'overthrowing the protectorate' and all that nice 'rage against the machine' nonsense that I just laugh at whenever I hear. *shakes head*

:D?

Rainecloud
06-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Should just anybody be allowed to broadcast whatever they want?

Yes, to a certain extent (by that I'm referring to the obvious exceptions, such as extremely vile and disgusting language and other perverse matters that have no room in this world). Radio is another means of expresing your opinion(s) to the world, and it's a very effective way to do so. After all, a number scientific surveys have 'proved' that radio advertising can be up to five times more effective than television advertising.

As for the music side of things: yes again. Of course they should be able to broadcast what they want. In my opinion, disallowing certain stations from playing copyrighted songs without some sort of ridiculous documentation is just as bad as taking legal action against little Johnny Smith for playing copyrighted music on his stereo with his window open, so that *shock* - others can hear this music that they haven't paid for! Then again, there's plenty of room for an argument in this case.

Baloki
06-19-2004, 03:31 PM
The main thing this law will impliment is that internet radio stations will need to document the songs they play and to how many people so that they can pay royalties to the record companies depending on the figures.

Peegee
06-19-2004, 04:44 PM
And document listeners, which is a feat very difficult indeed (well no), or will limit listeners (those who wish to remain annonymous).

rantradio would prolly lose a lot of its listeners if some gov database had info on them xD

Baloki
06-19-2004, 04:45 PM
And document listeners, which is a feat very difficult indeed (well no), or will limit listeners (those who wish to remain annonymous).

rantradio would prolly lose a lot of its listeners if some gov database had info on them xD

Document users means the same as count the amount of users listening xD