PDA

View Full Version : A question for the ages

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Why does eoff allow Newbie threads but not returning from a prolonged awayness threads?
I mean, makes no sense to me, but that's just me. :)

ZeZipster
06-20-2004, 05:36 AM
I guess it's TO SMITE THE EVIL!

muchacho
06-20-2004, 05:49 AM
to prevent the villiage from being raped and women being pillaged

eestlinc
06-20-2004, 05:53 AM
thanks for the feedback.

who are you again?

m4tt
06-20-2004, 05:58 AM
It's cause we don't like people to get attention? Or something. People make "I'm leaving forever!" threads to get attention. Then two weeks/years later they come back saying "Just kidding, I'm back!" to get more attention. Very very bad. ;) What was I talking about?

Shoeberto
06-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Once upon a time, there were a few members who decided they didn't like the threads that were being posted at EoFF. "I'm tired of this," said <s>Rirse</s> they, "I'll make an 'I'm leaving!' thread!"

And indeed <s>Rirse</s> they did leave, for a few days, then came back. "I'm back!" <s>he</s> they said, and no one really cared. Rirse then did this about five other times and the staff decided to ban it.

Dignified Pauper
06-20-2004, 06:05 AM
So b/c of these people, we're screwed, I love it.

We should start an EoFF judge system. Just for fun, kinda like the old EoFF murders, after the murderer is found, put them on trial.

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 06:44 AM
right on. :)
Thing is, I only did it because I lost touch with so many friends I made on here about...two years ago when I posted a few times, and I wanna find them before I do anything else.
I'm Britty. :)

Del Murder
06-20-2004, 06:52 AM
If you lost touch with so many friends just post and be active and they will notice you are around. We don't allow 'I'm back' threads because then we'll get them all the time even when people leave for like a week or something. Best to just get rid of all of them.

Welcome back though!

This is a Feedback type topic.

EDIT: Whoah, quick one, slick.

Shlup
06-20-2004, 06:52 AM
Each person can be welcomed once. Don't be greedy!

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 06:56 AM
but I'm britty :( and I've been gone for years. :(:(:(
and zee people, zay luv me.
nah, I've got no problems with it. Just asking out of curiousity. shoopeedoop. <3

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Welcome to Eyes on Final Fantasy, BrittyGoesMow. :)

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 08:06 AM
thanks for the info. :)
I appreciate the explaining to me.
Deal is, when I lost my old e-mail address, I lost my old account.
mhm.

Big D
06-20-2004, 08:06 AM
A few times in the past, people have posted threads like

"I'm going away for the weekend, goodbye till Monday! :cry: :shame: :sweat: "

then a few days later, it's

"I'm back, I said I'd be away but now I return! Did you miss me? What happened while I was away?"

and it's all a little pointless.

But on the other hand, I do see your point. Quite often, well-known and well-respected members come back out of the cold, even after an absence lasting years, yet their return goes unheralded. I think it'd be good if "I'm back!" threads were allowed for those who've been gone a significant time, whose return will actually matter. However, there's no accurate way to distinguish exactly when such a thread is OK and when it's not... so I guess that "I'm back!" threads might stay off-limits unless some better system comes up...

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Damn the system, and quiet kishi.

Yamaneko
06-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Why would anyone come back?

Shlup
06-20-2004, 08:42 AM
A few ridiculous people ruined it for everyone. No fuss.

Besides, you shouldn't've left in the first place!

Rainecloud
06-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Over at FFRepublic, they have a sub-forum devoted to returning members. It's called the "Farplane Abyss". I think it's a pretty good idea, and it's somewhere for these members to let everyone know they're back. Of course, certain exceptions would be people like myself and Rirse, who leave on a regular basis. Whereas Rirse leaves because he's an idiot, I left twice because I couldn't afford my Internet connection, once because my cat decided to urinate on my hard drive, twice when I became bored of the Internet and a further three times when Shlup turned down my repeated requests for an all-expenses paid trip to my bed.

I think it would be nice for returning members to have this opportunity - if their reasons for returning were acceptable and honest. If they leave and return on a regular basis, they could either: I) Be banned from the returning members forum, II) Have their signature/avatar changed to something ridiculous in order to mock and humiliate them (IE - changing Rirse's avatar to a symbolic boomerang would be excellently clever stuff), or III) Ban them forever because you're sick of them.

Shlup
06-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Wait. What? *dies*

I so don't want any new forums for those kinds of things.

Rainecloud
06-20-2004, 10:32 AM
Fair enough. We'll just continue to use the Video Game Music/TSW Forum.

Nobody mods in there, anyway.

Cz
06-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Why not simply have people add messages in their sig or profile, telling people that they're away? If anybody actually cares enough to wonder where they are, they'll simply check their profile/sig and find out.

It's better than just disappearing, but doesn't waste space like a leaving thread

Alternatively, you could ban people from leaving. But that might be rather difficult to enforce. :)

eestlinc
06-20-2004, 11:15 AM
i say if your account got deleted and you have to reregister, then you are a newbie again.

Mr. Graves
06-20-2004, 04:13 PM
^ Good call.

escobert
06-20-2004, 04:33 PM
I agree with Eest

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 06:23 PM
oh it doesn't matter all that much. :P

and I had to leave because my account got deleted, and... other things. ha
but I don't plan on leaving for a while.

RSL
06-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I hate to beat a dead horse (well, I've never tried it actually, so maybe I would like it. Though I can't really see myself liking it. I mean, I wouldn't like beating a live horse, so why would I like beating one that is dead? What point would it serve? And, depending on how long the horse had been dead, it might stink just a bit. So yeah, I probably do hate it.) but we really did have these types of threads flooding general chat in the past. Most of them were of the "I'm leaving for 3 days" and "I'm back after 3 days" variety, but we decided to just put a halt on it completely.

It's nothing against you Britty, and we're all estatic that you decided to return, but we have to sort of stay consistent on enforcing the rules, or the official EoFF staff supervisors will cause us all sorts of grief. It happened earlier this week and I'll tell you, I'm just all out of energy after that. I had to cancel a trip to Missouri (and I really was looking forward to it) so that I could re-evaluate what I can do to better myself as a Cid's Knight.

So, welcome back to EoFF, Britty! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Del Murder
06-20-2004, 07:19 PM
What the hell is in Missouri anyway?

Yamaneko
06-20-2004, 07:24 PM
What <i>isn't</i> in Missouri?!

RSL
06-20-2004, 07:28 PM
If you haven't been to Missouri, you haven't lived.

Del Murder
06-20-2004, 07:30 PM
I see. Sucks you weren't able to go, then.

RSL
06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah. I haven't quite gotten over it, to be honest. I'm a little bitter about the whole situation.

Meow
06-20-2004, 07:46 PM
The clear compromise here is that, from this day forth, all returning members make a "why can't i make a welcome back thread?" thread in feedback.

Del Murder
06-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Well it's all about priorities.

BrittyGoesMow
06-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Aw. Everyones bein' so nice. It's like ol' times.

Loony BoB
06-20-2004, 09:31 PM
It's not actually just people who leave for a few days, but also people that leave for months. Some people are like "Dude I'm back! Remember me?" and we're all "nah" and stuff. There have been about... ooh... 12,000-15,000 members over the years, maybe? So then say only about 2,000 of them are still active (some might even say that's optimistic) and that leaves at least 10,000 who haven't posted in a month. So then the odds of someone coming back every half-day are actually pretty good, and the odds of them making a thread bout it are probably higher than the odds of a newbie making a thread, and that's when yo- ...I'm babbling. Uhm, uh, everyone else answered it but I felt like posting, shush. :(

Dr Unne
06-20-2004, 10:23 PM
We used to allow them, and people made so many of them, probably half of General Chat was nothing but I'm back/ I'm leaving threads, which is why / when we made the rule. The lot of you are probably too young to remember that.

escobert
06-21-2004, 05:57 AM
I remember! I think.

crono_logical
06-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Nowadays, half of general chat is newbie and birthday threads :p

escobert
06-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Theres so many n00b threads now. I think that's something we need to do something about. Like make a sub forum for them or something.

eestlinc
06-21-2004, 07:34 AM
or just start posting better threads

escobert
06-21-2004, 07:53 AM
True. But, I doubt that will ever happen :D

BrittyGoesMow
06-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Interesting NEWBIE THREADS?!
ahahahahaha
wahahahahha
AHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA
and I'm spent.

Cz
06-21-2004, 09:24 AM
There used to be a heck of a lot more birthday threads, until the Birthday list got cut with the change to vB3. Now, people only get one if others actually care enough to find out when their birthday is, which is a lot better.

Yamaneko
06-21-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes, yes it is.

Baloki
06-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Each person can be welcomed once. Don't be greedy!

Or in some peoples cases not at all :(

I still prevale though

*Wins*

*Victory Pose*

Raistlin
06-26-2004, 03:21 AM
I like FFWA's system:

Don't post "I'm back" threads if no one cares.

It works rather well because all those threads are deleted/closed except for those made by members that were gone for years that people actually gave a damn about.

Meow
06-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Benjamin felt a nose nuzzling at his shoulder. He looked round. It was Clover. Her old eyes looked dimmer than ever. Without saying anything, she tugged gently at his mane and led him round to the end of the big barn, where the Seven Commandments were written. For a minute or two they stood gazing at the tatted wall with its white lettering.

"My sight is failing," she said finally. "Even when I was young I could not have read what was written there. But it appears to me that that wall looks different. Are the Seven Commandments the same as they used to be, Benjamin?"

For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS.

The temptations of the Red Menace are strong, friend Raistlin.

Cz
06-26-2004, 08:18 PM
I don't think that telling people 'We don't like you enough to leave this thread open. Post again when somebody gives a damn.' would make us very popular, even if it is true.

Yamaneko
06-27-2004, 12:19 AM
It works rather well because all those threads are deleted/closed except for those made by members that were gone for years that people actually gave a damn about.
No, we don't care about them either.

Raistlin
06-27-2004, 03:18 AM
:cry:

Citizen Bleys
06-27-2004, 10:21 AM
WB, Indy

Fair enough. We'll just continue to use the Video Game Music/TSW Forum.

Nobody mods in there, anyway.

*eyes light up*

Agent Proto
06-27-2004, 03:23 PM
It depends on the person really. If the person is well known and has been gone for ages, then it seems appropriate to allow them an "I'm back" thread, even though they are illegal to make for the normal members.

Citizen Bleys
06-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Yes, double standards are fantastic

HOOTERS
06-27-2004, 05:38 PM
I think Bleys just stumbled upon EoFF's new motto. :smash:

Yamaneko
06-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Last time that happened was last year when Wes came back. I think BoB changed the topic of the thread to talk about all kinds of oldbies, so it really wasn't a welcome back thread. :)

Cz
06-27-2004, 07:21 PM
That's an idea. Why not allow 'I'm Back' threads, as long as they have another topic as well?

e.g. 'I'm back, but how about them waffles?'

Leeza
06-27-2004, 07:42 PM
I think that there were many that were disguised in such a manner and that just means that the member knows the rules. :)

Del Murder
06-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Members who aren't smart enough to do that don't deserve welcoming back in the first place.

Citizen Bleys
06-27-2004, 08:36 PM
I think Bleys just stumbled upon EoFF's new motto. :smash:

New?

Raistlin
06-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Last time that happened was last year when Wes came back. I think BoB changed the topic of the thread to talk about all kinds of oldbies, so it really wasn't a welcome back thread. :)

Other way around. I posted in a legitimate GC thread, and then BoB changed the thread title, and you know the rest.

Yamaneko
06-27-2004, 10:21 PM
Either way, it was your fault.