PDA

View Full Version : A Purist's Boss Tournament

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Out of the Final Fantasy Bosses, who do you think would win based on statistics, damage capabilities, hit points, immunities, etc.? Most Final Fantasies use roughly the same system and could be considered more or less interchangable, though some allowances must be made when considering things like damage caps and such.

I know a lot of people are going to probably pick Sephiroth, but I don't think I would. I fought him and beat him at a fairly low level, without ever having stopped to level up, and the most he could do to me was about 2,000 damage with his ultimate attack, basically a third of my character's life, but as I had enough healing he really couldn't do anything. That being said I was unimpressed with his power as compared to, say, Kefka, who dished out about 5,000 damage with an Ultima spell.

I haven't had a chance to play many of the Final Fantasies all the way through as of yet, so I won't choose to make a point beyond what I've said right now.

Anyways, what do you all think?

Mo-Nercy
06-20-2004, 10:21 AM
If you're talking about any boss not just the final one. I choose Penance. Has ten times the health and does ten times the damage. Actually, any other Dark Aeon would kick ass.

Cz
06-20-2004, 10:49 AM
If you were to alter FFI's damage system so that it was proportional to the rest of the series, Chaos would win, since Cure 4 would allow him to fully recover from any attack.

eestlinc
06-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Dark Cloud

Ultima Shadow
06-20-2004, 11:28 AM
If you were to alter FFI's damage system so that it was proportional to the rest of the series, Chaos would win, since Cure 4 would allow him to fully recover from any attack.
But Penance would wipe him out with his Immolation, it reduces Chaos mp to 0. Penance has the best stats of all FF bosses!

Cz
06-20-2004, 01:13 PM
When you think about it, this fight would largely come down to luck, as plenty of bosses have instant-death spells. So it could go any way, really.

DocFrance
06-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Agreed. Fighting Chaos would be like fighting a Yu Yevon that fought back, and without Auto-Life.

Ultima Shadow
06-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Agreed. Fighting Chaos would be like fighting a Yu Yevon that fought back, and without Auto-Life.
But all you need to do is cast zombie... so any zombie casting boss would wipe them out.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Remember though most bosses have an immunity to status effects, especially instant death spells.

Cz
06-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Chaos' CRACK spell is different from the standard death spell in FFI, RUB. While an ARUB spell exists (providing immunity from death spells), I don't think it protects you from CRACK. That would mean that CRACK is not an ordinary death spell, and would therefore bypass any death-immunity that a character (or boss) might have.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-21-2004, 10:28 AM
But the premise behind bosses is that they can't be defeated easily, so we'll assume that all of their immunities are absolute.

Cz
06-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Bosses can't be defeated easily by party members. But other bosses? No problem.

Still, CRACK rarely hits all party members, so I'm sure Chaos would be unlikely to win unless it was very, very lucky.

CloudySky
06-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Trema from FFX-2 is a pain, really the hardest boss of all FFs, I think.

aeris2001x2
06-23-2004, 03:15 AM
for god sake, as all ready mentioned, penance would win with ease. his defense his so high only a celestial weapon could do much damage. yes immolation does take away all your mp (and breaks your defense too) but a few judgement days would also rob your mp. heck with judgement day he could take on every other boss at once and win easily. even if u reduced his attacks 2 9999 he would still destroy everything. it may take time but he himself would not take a dent, espically with his speed and two arms helping.

Maybe the only thing that could worry him is chaos CRACK. but u see, with penance speed, chaos 4000 hp(on origins) would go with 1 hit anyway. 9999 is impossible 2 do in ffI but its theortically possible since cure4 heals 4 9999 and attacks can break 999 so obviously could reach 9999. so hah, the little wimp Chaos is rolled over.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-23-2004, 09:03 AM
This is with proper stat allowances. FFX exceeds the normal stat allowances, so to make things on the level so far as competition some sort of scaling down would HAVE to take place.

I still don't think Chaos's crack should work, or if it does it should have a LOW hit percentage.

aeris2001x2
06-23-2004, 12:53 PM
do u know what ffX stat limit is? i mean it goes way beyond 255 but where does it actually stop?

Edgar
06-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I don't recall hard bosses in FFVI, maybe Ultros (damn tentacles). The rest is a pushover, including Kefka, which I beat at around level 35 (highest level).

FFVII have that Jenova thing at the end of Disc one. That one was tough, but I admit, I wan't using my brain then. A year later, I checked and wow! A water Ring! I wonder if it works, and it did.

FFIV had some hard bosses. The one that I remembered clearly is the delta twins or something. Yang's kick just !@#$ :(

FFVIII, with the junction thing, was simple really. =/

FFIX don't have any hard ones, unless someone would try to point out one. Maybe the dragon in the bermucia gate (can't remember the name)? *thinks* Yeah, that was tough =/

If you count FFTactics, then I would go for the Execution site.

Cz
06-23-2004, 05:09 PM
You have to remember Ultimecia's Hell's Judgement, which reduces every opponent's HP to 1. With such powerful attacks as those of Penance, Chaos etc. this battle comes entirely down to luck. You can't really give a clear and defined winner.

aeris2001x2
06-23-2004, 07:56 PM
nope because hells judgement wont be able 2 break 9998 cause its hp based move.

Cz
06-23-2004, 09:41 PM
But it reduces HP to 1, regardless of your current/total HP value. The only reason it can't break 9998 in FFVIII is because no party member can gain more than 9999HP. The only way that the attack makes any sense is if it reduces HP to 1, regardless of stats, so you'd have to assume that it could do the same to any foe.

Vermachtnis
06-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Ive never fought Penece so I really wouldn't know. But, I gotta go with Trema. I mean 1 HP from a million. 99999MP and 255 Str and Def. and really high other stats. Yet again CRACK got on my nerves.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-24-2004, 06:39 AM
Yea, Kefka also has the "Fallen One" which reduces HP to 1. It shows no damage number come up, it just takes everyone down to 1 HP. Luck would probably end up being a major factor though.

aeris2001x2
06-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Ive never fought Penece so I really wouldn't know. But, I gotta go with Trema. I mean 1 HP from a million. 99999MP and 255 Str and Def. and really high other stats. Yet again CRACK got on my nerves.

actually he has about 999mp. plus penance has higher stats and 12 million hp.

there is no proof that hells jufgement can only do 9998 at max true, but there is no proof that it can break 9998 either so we shall never know.

hmmm fallen one is an interesting factor though. however again hes so slow that penance would get like 5 turns and kill kefka before he can have 2 moves. so yeah penance still wins.

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-25-2004, 06:37 AM
I like how you once again discounted the fact that the stats would be evened out so that they are all on the same system, which would probably leave most of them about equal.

aeris2001x2
06-25-2004, 02:47 PM
no i havent, penances stats when u apply that systerm will still be way up!!! he wont be able 2 break 9999 hp but he,ll still have near enough max stats. your trying to say kefka's 4 example will be anywhere near penances?