PDA

View Full Version : Builders?

blue_midget192
06-21-2004, 09:17 AM
we have builders at our house :) they are rebiulding the front wall, extending the bath room, and re roofing the entire house. it can get kinda noisy but its ok, cus there friendly and i get to joke about with them, also cus my dad is at work all the time there here, i get to be the head male-kind thing :)
have u ever had builders?
what where they doing?what are ur thoughs on builders in general?

Shlup
06-21-2004, 01:15 PM
My stepdad is a construction worker and likes to do his home improvements right outside my bedroom when I'm still asleep. The ass.

He's changed the layout of almost the entire house, put in a fireplace, an in-wall entertainment center, a back porch, a deck over that, a something else, and some other stuff.

Loony BoB
06-21-2004, 01:26 PM
My Dad knows hardware inside out after working in the industry (including being the self-employed owner of Towns Hardware for about ten years) for pretty much all his life. The home I grew up in was actually constructed by my Dad using two other houses. He bought the land, bought two old houses and put them both on trucks and put them together on the land. He then spent about fifteen years working on them non-stop. Bloody amazing, in my opinion, and although we sold the house, it's one of my life goals to buy it back again. We even named it Navah House and my Mum designed and made the stained glass windows (and anyone who knows my Mum's art will know that they must have been awesome, and they were).

I've grown up in houses that were originally advertised as "Handyman's Dream" (literally) and I've grown to know a lot of builders that would work alongside my Dad in the house when it's first being set up and outside the house when I visited his workplaces.

I think builders are cool. :p

Iceglow
06-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm no builder I have very feminine hands according to most people but I know how to brick lay, decorate, carpentry (I built most of the furniture in my room from scratch; bed and units mainly plus the hanging shelves) so I can do a lot on my own and my sisters boyfriend is equally adept in DIY plus he's a landscaper. I can also fit gearboxes and change flats in cars and give them a full valet that'd cost someone over £70

Silmaril
06-21-2004, 05:08 PM
My mom doesn't like builders/painters. She claims they always muck up the bathroom. :D

Rainecloud
06-21-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't mind builders, that is unless they're the evil Cowboy type who take advantage of elderly ladies by charging them stupidly high prices for decorating their kitchens. My Dad usually does all the handywork in our house, so we never have to call anybody else in.

I'm not very good at construction work myself, though. It annoys me.