PDA

View Full Version : If you could relive a historical life.

Nait
06-21-2004, 08:55 PM
What would it be? But please, no huge celebrities, just ordinary people like nobles or popes or shoguns. *_*

I'd try a quickie life as a Warring States-era Daimyo, then as an Iron Age Finnic merchant, and maybe some time as a Manchu-era bureucrat. :D Whaddaboutcho? >:O

nik0tine
06-21-2004, 09:02 PM
maybe someone like nelson mandela, but im not sure id want to have to put up with what he went through. is he to big of a 'celebrity'?

Nait
06-21-2004, 09:07 PM
If I know him by name, yes. >:o

cactuar_12
06-21-2004, 09:14 PM
NINJA!!! FEAR THE MIGHTY NINJA!!!

Seriously, though, ninjas can kick ANYBODY'S butt. Ninja's favorite food is Samurai flesh: They can easily sneak up on one and kill it in a number of ways, usually by snapping the neck (nunchakus or bare hands will do). Samurai can't sneak up on someone, break into houses, assasinate, etc., cause of their stupid Bushido. Honorable suckers, ninja need no honor!!! Ninjas do whatever the job takes to do it.

The Captain
06-21-2004, 09:39 PM
Perhaps an English colonist crossing to America so I could warn the Native Americans not to trust the White man, and also to stop slavery at an earlier time, as best I could.

Take care all.

Nait
06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Perhaps an English colonist crossing to America so I could warn the Native Americans not to trust the White man, and also to stop slavery at an earlier time, as best I could.

Take care all.

And at the same time give the poor bastards smallpox.

And interesting take on the subject is Jared Diamond's <i>Guns, germs and steel</i> which discusses the subject on why Europe conquered the world, but not vice versa. His arguments boil down to geographical constraints on other parts of the world, and to the luck of Eurasia. Basically:
You need enough easily domesticable, protein and kalory-rich, and diverse plant species.
You need enough big animals that do not fail a single of the criteria needed for domestication - like the herd-mentality.
And, um. That's about it. OH, and east-west movement is MUCH easier than north-south - which means that Eurasia has the upper hand yet again.
The food leads to big groups of humans, and the animals give us epidemic diseases, which do not work with populations of scattered hunter-gatherers.

Cz
06-21-2004, 10:04 PM
A pope during the middle ages. I'd change the face of religion as we know it.

BottledJustice
06-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Attila the Hun was pretty awesome, but unfortunately, his death was really depressing. Death by nosebleed. Blech...

Alexander the Great is one cool guy.

Really, any conquerors would be cool. It don't matter.

I also note that there are no presidents listed. Nobody wants to go into politics? Interesting.

I just finished reading Shogun by James Clavell (sp?), and the Japanese were one cool people. Just make sure you aren't a woman. :mog:

I used cool waaaaaaaaaaaay too many times for such a short post. meh.

escobert
06-21-2004, 11:15 PM
A lord in 13/14th century England.

nik0tine
06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
well then i think id be an ancient ancestor of george bush and remind myself never to have sex.

Rusty
06-22-2004, 08:24 AM
I'd love to go and relieve a bit "The unsinkable Molly Browns" life. Probably 2 months before she boarded the Titanic and when she was on the Titanic and a little after.

The Wandering Zero
06-22-2004, 09:11 AM
I would want to be the Buebonic Plague...

Wait, you mean I can't be a disease?

<.< How about, uhmmmmm... ... ... An Egyptian during the glorious days of the great Pharohs. Because then I'd just spend my time building monuments to my merciful masters while my slaves maintained my house and whatnot.

Either that or a Roman Senator, just before Christianity started to spread.

Either that, or I'd like to have been one of the first people. Basically, so I could invent skull- er... I'm not allowed to say that, so, I'll just leave it up to the imagination.

sephxangel
06-22-2004, 12:21 PM
yea i think beind a pharoh in ancient egypt would be cool.

Loony BoB
06-22-2004, 12:32 PM
I can't think of anyone I'd like to be besides me. But if I have to choose anyone I suppose I'd go with someone like, uhm... hmm. A gorgeous girl. Yeah. That'll work. I'm more interested in leading a normal life of a gender I am not rather than living in a different era.

Mikztsu
06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Lets see...actually it's pretty simple. I don't wanna kill or be killed, so I don't wanna be some conqueror or soldier. I don't wanna be poor, so I'd rather be some rich man. Preferably during the Roman empire.

Oh yes, then I could have slaves and orgies.

Meat Puppet
06-22-2004, 01:02 PM
The guy who invented the wheel. And make it square. And write my name in a rock somewhere and see if that changes mankind as we know it.

Ki Ki
06-22-2004, 01:02 PM
I'd love to be a Queen in Ancient Egypt. Wouldn't that be cool.
I could go around stealing everyones insides and they'd all be bottled and everything jus for me. Hawhaw. :freak:

Polaris
06-22-2004, 01:03 PM
I wanna to be the best friend of Rafael...

Silmaril
06-22-2004, 01:59 PM
I'd love to be a knight and ride a coal-black steed and do daring stuff. That or an archer, someone like Robin hood.

sephxangel
06-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Oh yes, then I could have slaves and orgies.

You freak. :D :freak: