PDA

View Full Version : England through!!!!

Doc Sark
06-21-2004, 11:10 PM
For the first time on foreign soil (a fact that I did not know before), England have made it through the group stage with a resounding victory over the Croats!!!! There has been a lot of speculation over the first team credentials of Paul Scholes and Michael Owen, but both played great games tonight to silence those who had their doubts.

Bring on the Portuguese now. Certainly they are beatable, and we will have to show our calibre if we are to progress to the semi finals!!!
My only worry is off the set piece. With the exception of the penalty against France, all our goals against have come from set pieces. On the other hand, we are the tournaments top goalscorers right now with 8 goals in 3 games. It's looking good but Portugal on Thursday will be a tough game.

Cz
06-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I think that their home advantage will make it difficult for us, but it will make the victory even more important, if we manage to get it. Defeating the hosts is always very difficult, especially if they are capable of playing as well as Portugal can. Still, if we make it through this, it'll be a major confidence-booster.

White Raven
06-22-2004, 05:49 PM
RIP to that Brittish fan that got stabbed to death by the Croatian fan.
:(

In other news:

GO DEUTCHLAND GO!!!

Doc Sark
06-22-2004, 10:08 PM
It's gonna be a titanic struggle. You are right about the home soil advantage though. It is going to make the Portuguese that bit harder to beat. Will they have an answer to Wayne Rooney though? So far no one really has. If someone breaks Cristiano Ronaldos legs, I'll be happy.

Sorry White Raven but Germany are going to need a miracle to go through tomorrow! They need Latvia to do them a favour by beating or drawing with Holland, which isn't very likely, or they have to beat the Czech Republic. Possible, but the way the Czech Republic are playing victory seems unlikely. However with the Czechs already through in first place they may rest many of their key players which would give Germany the edge. So actually maybe they won't need a miracle. We'll see I guess.

nik0tine
06-23-2004, 09:12 AM
I didnt even know this was going on. your talking about soccer/football, whatever you want to call it right? i remember last year or hte year before when everyone in america had become the biggest soccer fan because the american team had won a few games or something. all these people were like "yeah, ive loved soccer my entire life!"

Polaris
06-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Of course that Portugal will win!

We're the best!

Deixem-se de tretas
Força nas canetas
Que o maior é Portugal!

Doc Sark
06-23-2004, 12:30 PM
So good they lost to Greece.

It's gonna be a good game.

nik0tine - U.S.A made it to the quarter finals of the World Cup in 2002. They played Germany off the park yet lost 1-0. They are ranked 9th in the world.

Cz
06-23-2004, 05:36 PM
FIFA's world rankings aren't a very reliable source for prediction, though.

Doc Sark
06-24-2004, 01:20 AM
This is true. Yet it is testament to how how far the American Soccer team has come. Obviously in the grand scheme of things there are many more countries much better than the U.S.A at football. For example England. We are ranked lower.

Nemesis the Warlock
06-24-2004, 08:46 AM
:( We're going home. Germany couldn't win, even though the Czechs weren't trying hard.
I don't think anyone can beat the Czechs this time around, not even the French.

White Raven
06-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Poor Germany. Oh well. Good try!:)

No we just gotta see England win today.

Iceglow
06-24-2004, 03:37 PM
heck I hate football normally but even so I'm ordered to go watch the match tonight at the pub so yeah COME ON ENGLAND!!! :moomba:

Lux Trepe
06-24-2004, 06:54 PM
PORTUGAL! I love England but Portugal will win!
PORTUGAL 2 - 1 ENGLAND!

Portugal: Deco, Figo
England: David Beckham

Proxy
06-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Oh good lord! This is the most intense game ever!!
Lets go lads! You can beat them Portugalies!!

2-2 GOING INTO SHOOTOUT!

Lux Trepe
06-24-2004, 10:35 PM
we win!!! YES!!!!!!

VIVA PORTUGAL!!!!!

Rainecloud
06-24-2004, 10:39 PM
I really enjoyed the game, even though I'm from England. I think I'm the only non-biased football fan in this entire country.

Great game, very tense, well done to Portugal for playing excellently. :)

Lux Trepe
06-24-2004, 10:47 PM
well I have to admit that I always wanted Portugal - England to the final...
but it wasn't possible! England, I preffer Portugal but you are very good! Better then France, Netherlands,...

It was a great game!

aeris2001x2
06-24-2004, 11:13 PM
hah hah that game was drama and though england should of won but 4 the disallowed goal (foul my ass) portugal did play better so they deserve 2 go through. they have really pulled it 2 gether after that collapse 2 greece on the opening day.

oh well not that it mattered, France will still win the tournment(though the czech have a real good shot)

Ifrit's Bodyguard
06-25-2004, 01:32 AM
Any impediment on a goal keeper = foul, the decision was correct. Well I have to offer the most heartfelt commiserations from all of Scotland to England heehhee *walks off laughing*

aeris2001x2
06-25-2004, 01:42 AM
thats a bias opinion. yes it was a foul in thoery but 9/10 times that goal would have been allowed.

still not that i care that much. my tip 2 win r still in and football is like...89th in my list of cool stuff. i hate the english, scotish, wales etc football rivalry. i think its really pety.

Polaris
06-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Campeões, campeões, nós somos campeões!

Até vos comemos!

Eat this DocSark, Portugal is not that bad, we will win Euro 2004! We're the best!

Cuchullain
06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
lol. I expected England to lose, I must admit. Maybe we should get another penalty taker; Beckham keeps missing these days. And good for the Portugeuse keeper winning the match. I reckon they'll make it to the final. After that, we'll have to wait and see

Doc Sark
06-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Eat this DocSark, Portugal is not that bad, we will win Euro 2004! We're the best!

Quote where I said Portugal would lose.

I said it would be a good game, which it was.

However......

LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY

Portugal will not win the tournament. They shouldn't even be in the semi because Sol Campbells goal should have stood. They were the better team on the night but if Urs Meier had found his balls in the 90th minute Portugal would be out and I wouldn't be taunting you in the same childish way you taunt me. And no it wasn't a foul in theory because John Terry did not impede the goalkeeper, if anything the goalkeeper impeded John Terry. The linesman was the closest man to the ball and he gave the goal. Bad bad refereeing. But it wasn't just that, the ref was terrible all night, unless you're Portuguese in which case he was like a 12th man. Sickening really. Grrr and good for the Portuguese keeper.....how arrogant is he? Nuno Valente was meant to take the penalty but he just had to rub it in. That made me angry too. I'm an easy football fan to pick on because it is my biggest passion, so I'm expecting I'll upset people with my views. Oh well.

Did I see a scot in this thread making a bias opinion? Goodness gracious me, you'll know what it's like to lose on penalties one day mate, if you ever reach another quarter final.

EDIT: I actually went off on a rant about the state of Scottish football here but it was off topic as Scotland didn't make it to Portugal. Anyway...Divinity, I am happy for you if Portugal go further but I honestly don't believe they are good enough. Do you really think that Portugal are capable of beating the Czech and the Dutch? If they both go out then Portugal will win but that is a big if!!

Proxy
06-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Great match! The best team won....after stepping on Rooney.
Anyway, my boys are out, not time to go with my country, GO CZECH! (i think I spelled that wrong)

Ifrit's Bodyguard
06-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Wow! France are out, England are out, Italy are out, Germany are out, this is a good competition. The France and England thing really confuses me though cos I was sure the English commentators said there was going to be a France/England final, maybe it's me that has my wires crossed.

Cuchullain
06-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I think after the England/Croatia game, a lot of people were thinking France/England final. It could have happened, if not for the fact both sides lost.

Doc Sark
06-26-2004, 01:43 PM
There was definitely no one saying an England Scotland final.