PDA

View Full Version : Ants!!

TheAbominatrix
06-23-2004, 06:16 PM
My house (okay, it's a trailer :skull7: ) is infected with ants. Badly. Last night they were all over the floor, and then when I woke up this morning, there they were again. I know where they're coming from (through a floor vent in the hall) but I cant get rid of them it seems.

I've been using cleaner to kill them, since I dont have any poison. But I could use a more premenant solution. Does anyone know anyway to get rid of them? And I need to take into account my cats, the solution has to keep them safe.

Anyone else ever have this insane problem?

White Raven
06-23-2004, 06:30 PM
My suggestion, buy an anteater or encircle or house with a line of chalk, since ants don't cross lines of chalk.

TheAbominatrix
06-23-2004, 06:42 PM
I want an anteater! He can play with my cats! And my skunks, possums, and racoons!

Thanks.

Rye
06-23-2004, 06:55 PM
I had that problem once too! Once and a while I always find a little ant crawling around. But a few years ago I kept on finding a bunch of ants in my room. I found out since my room is above my garage, the ants were crawling in through a hole. Dad used the ant spray stuff, and the problem stopped. :)

Erdrick Holmes
06-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Spray the bugs with hairspray, that stuff works better then bug killer.

m4tt
06-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I had ants in my room at my old house in Alpine.. I ate too much in my room. :d

ps: did you know this is the 1000th thread in general chat? :OoOOo

Erdrick Holmes
06-23-2004, 07:07 PM
*pops open a bottle of champaigne*

TheAbominatrix
06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
omg I r teh best! 1000! *dances*

Anyway, it's not my fault this time. A lot of stuff got kicked down into that vent over the years, and I guess in the last few my ultra-clean gramma couldnt really physically get down to clean it. Plus the cat food was right there.

And thanks for the tips, Rye and Joel. I'll probably use the chalk, because of the cats and all, and I dont have hairspray because I guess I'm not girly enough. Hehe. I use spray-on glue from the craft store for my spikes/hawks now.

SomethingBig
06-23-2004, 07:11 PM
Have you tried those bug traps?

http://www.healthyhomeservices.ca/product.cfm?Room=Kitchen&ProductID=103

http://www.bonideproducts.com/products/anttraps.htm

The second one sounds better.

Ki Ki
06-23-2004, 07:14 PM
*Squash, squash*
*squish,squish*
*squish, Squash*

SomethingBig
06-23-2004, 07:17 PM
*Squash, squash*
*squish,squish*
*squish, Squash*

That works as well.

Cz
06-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Just spray them with anything remotely toxic. Hair-spray, deodorant, they all seem to work.

To be honest, I just want to post in thread #1000. :D

TheAbominatrix
06-23-2004, 07:25 PM
*Squash, squash*
*squish,squish*
*squish, Squash*

There's too many, though! And when I squish them they crawl up my legs.

When I first saw them all in my room in the dark I thought I was hallucinating from lack of sleep.

Leeza
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Sprinkle black pepper in the areas where they're coming in from. It'll keep the ants away and it won't harm your cats...they'll just sneeze a bit. :)

Maxico
06-23-2004, 07:35 PM
create a sacred circle and pray to the sun god nook to burn all of your ants into oblivion.

or alternativly call the exterminators.

fire_of_avalon
06-24-2004, 03:30 AM
Can you close the vent in some way that won't result in an explosion or a heat wave in that area of the place? We duct taped one of our vents off once because of ants (and because we didn't have any poison).

HOOTERS
06-24-2004, 03:35 AM
You can't just go around squishing them willy nilly you have to locate the queen ant and step on her. Then, while they're trying to figure out who is the new queen, hit them with the hose. Or alternatively you could just turn it on and drench them. :smash:

Ki Ki
06-24-2004, 03:37 AM
Squashing's good.
Or! Or use a vacuum cleaner and suck them all up!!
But ants are my fwiends. . .
*huggles pet ant*

Yamaneko
06-24-2004, 03:44 AM
Blow up your trailer. Problem solved.

HOOTERS
06-24-2004, 03:49 AM
Or better yet cheat on your boyfriend and then go on Jerry Springer where your boyfriend can bulldoze your trailer for you. :mog:

Shlup
06-24-2004, 03:54 AM
My mom puts the kitties food bowls in pie tins with water to make a moat. Other than animal food, we only get ants when we leave food out, so don't do that. Keep the kitchen clean.

It also helps to put your food scraps outside. If the ants get their food close to their home they're less likely to travel inside of yours.

TheAbominatrix
06-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Can you close the vent in some way that won't result in an explosion or a heat wave in that area of the place? We duct taped one of our vents off once because of ants (and because we didn't have any poison).

I did try doing that, but I didnt have the proper equipment.

Or better yet cheat on your boyfriend and then go on Jerry Springer where your boyfriend can bulldoze your trailer for you.

YOU LEAVE CLETUS OUT OF THIS!!

I went and bought some pet-safe pesticides (they're organic) and some of the bait that they take back to the colony. The pesticides work real well.

nik0tine
06-24-2004, 04:12 AM
i would jsut call an exterminator.

TheAbominatrix
06-24-2004, 04:14 AM
i would jsut call an exterminator.

I would, but I dont have the money. So I'm trying to avoid any expensive solutions.

Logan
06-24-2004, 04:40 AM
We have ants. They've mostly gone away, but they get in the dishwasher and the sink and the floor and my BATHROOM and the computer desk, and the couch and the table. I enjoy killing them, and the only time I've seen my grandfather move really fast was when he was at the table killing ants. My house smells like Raid. :)

Meow
06-24-2004, 04:46 AM
pet-safe pesticides

NOT FOR MY ANT FARM!

*runs and cries*

Wizdumb
06-24-2004, 04:49 AM
Comet and Bleech.

Iceglow
06-24-2004, 02:42 PM
seriously if you have a hose with one of the LBST (liquid bottle squirty things) attachments fill the bottle with shampoo and spray the vent it'll do no harm to anyone but the insects it works on wasps and bees too.

Silmaril
06-24-2004, 03:01 PM
I like ants. :cry: Kill all the roaches you want, but spare the ants. u can make an antfarm!

Lord Xehanort
06-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Find their nest/anthill/thing and surround it in sugar water. then standby with a bottle of Aqua-Net Hairspray and a lighter (preferrably one of those long ones). Wait for the ants to take the bait. BURN, YOU S.O.B.'S!!!!!!!! Seriously, it worked here.

Shlup
06-26-2004, 02:47 AM
I like ants. :cry: Kill all the roaches you want, but spare the ants. u can make an antfarm!I don't like killing the ants either. :o I just give them a new food source.

TheAbominatrix
06-26-2004, 03:10 AM
I usually dont like killing ants, but there were way way too much this time, and they were big and they BITE.

DMKA
06-26-2004, 03:44 AM
Ah yes we have this problem right now...they're covering the kitchen counters and they're crawling on the walls and floor.

I need a solution as bad as you do. >_<

Wizdumb
06-26-2004, 03:55 AM
Baby powder or chalk. They breath through their feet.

Dingo Jellybean
06-26-2004, 05:10 AM
I had this problem once. They were all over my bathroom...especially in my bathtub. There were queen ants in the tub too...it was pretty freaky. This happened when I was young, so it made me even less likely to take showers.

There were thousands of them in the tub, I didn't even know why. My mom would wash them away every day, and they would come back in the morning.

I can't offer a good solution other than poison, but just keep your house clean. Or keep the temperature cold...insects hate the cold weather, usually my house is around 70F...so it keeps them away...and even if they get inside, they usually die. Bees seem to die quickly in the cold too.

fire_of_avalon
06-26-2004, 06:15 AM
On a related topic, my friend has these strange caterpillars at her house right now. They're very small, black, and spiney. Spiney caterpillars are BAD. What are they/what are they gonna become/how does she get rid of them? They get in her bathroom and she has to chase them down the drain.

TheAbominatrix
06-26-2004, 09:21 AM
Ah yes we have this problem right now...they're covering the kitchen counters and they're crawling on the walls and floor.

I need a solution as bad as you do. >_<

I bought a can of Bioganic Crawling Insect Killer to kill them on contact. It has a very overpowering spearmint sort of smell, because it's made of plant oils, and it does leave an oily spot when it's sprayed, but it works very very well. I also got some baits, Raid brand, to lay out. It's the kind they take back to the nest and feed to their buddies and die die die. It's working pretty well.

Meat Puppet
06-26-2004, 09:45 AM
I wish I had an infestation of Bullet Ants

nik0tine
06-26-2004, 07:22 PM
I don't like killing the ants either. :o I just give them a new food source.

killing is wrong, we shouldnt kill bugs, unless they have infested your house.